Burnley v Tottenham Hotspur (07/03/20) (5.30pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As everyone and their pet dog Fenton has us down for a stone wall defeat, I'm going for a draw.

0-0

A 20 second supercuts on Match of the Day jobbie

So fucking dull that you are literally looking around the house for a DIY job to do rather than watch the whole 90.
How do you know my dog's called Fenton? Eerie...can you predict tomorrow's score? If you can, I'm off to the bookies. 50/50 ok?

Assuming Dier is unavailable, I want to see Skipp and Winks in CM so we can free up Lo Celso to play somewhere in the attacking line. We don't have enough depth right now with all the injuries and need his skills up front. I'm not saying Gio is wasted in CM by any means, but our attack is pathetic right now, not to mention looking exhausted and beat up.

The time for Skipp is now.

LAWRO'S PREDICTION
These two are at opposite ends of the form table - Burnley are now unbeaten in six league games, whereas Tottenham have lost their past four in all competitions, including their FA Cup exit on Wednesday.

Spurs don't really look like opening anyone up, let alone a team as good as Burnley are at the back.

Prediction: 2-0

I thought we played well against Norwich and defended better and were more solid. We thrashed Burnley in December and they then were dropping down the league and I said that I could see them being relegated. However they have turned it around and are favourites to win. It is going to be difficult. I think there will be changes in the team but this match is more important than Tuesday. In my mind we are already out of the CL and we must throw everything we can at this match. Difficult to know who is deemed not able to play 90 mins and start and only guessing. Toby should play after missing the last 2. Jose said Dier playing but strangely no mention of Parrott. My best guess
Lloris, Tanganga, Toby, Dier, Davies
Skipp, Lo Celso, Winks
Lamela, Dele, Bergwign
Full use of Subs in Moura, Ndombele, Parrott , Sess, Verts, Aurier, Gazza
Must not lose game.
Played well against Norwich oh piss off cunt

I'm sorry but people actually want Skipp to start???? He was all over the place yesterday and Norwich were cutting through the midfield like it was going out of fashion. Not a good performance at all.

Personally I think 4-4-2 diamond is the way to go as central midfield is where we have the most options and none of the options in attack can play up top by themselves.

---------------------Lloris------------------------
Aurier---------Dier-----Toby------Vertonghen
----‐-----------------Winks-----------------------
--------------N'dombele---Gedson-------------
----------------------Lo Celso--------------------,-
------------‐-----Alli-------Lamela----------------

Dier and Vertonghen played well yesterday so should start. Gedson was also very good so deserves a start.
Ndombele ??

I'm at a party tomorrow night, so will try to find a pub in Reigate to watch the game. I don't know why I'm going to put myself in a miserable mood before the party, but I just can't not watch it.
It's difficult to be optimistic at the moment, I hope the players are up for it, at least!

I'm at a party tomorrow night, so will try to find a pub in Reigate to watch the game. I don't know why I'm going to put myself in a miserable mood before the party, but I just can't not watch it.
It's difficult to be optimistic at the moment, I hope the players are up for it, at least!

It probably relates to the definition of insanity.

We watch time after time expecting something different to happen and it just doesn't. For over a year now. But there are fleeting glimpses every now and again of a corner being turned and then right back to being crap.

Everybody hangs shit on Poch saying he would have walked if we won the CL final and I'd like to think that so would I.

Oh well, time to emotionally prepare myself for a battering against stupid Burnley. COYS

LAWRO'S PREDICTION
These two are at opposite ends of the form table - Burnley are now unbeaten in six league games, whereas Tottenham have lost their past four in all competitions, including their FA Cup exit on Wednesday.

Spurs don't really look like opening anyone up, let alone a team as good as Burnley are at the back.

Prediction: 2-0
I hate to say it but for once, he may be right. 😥

Last 4 results with Son : DWWW

Last 4 results without Son : LLLL
To be fair though, that Man City win was the biggest, luckiest smash-and-grab you'll see this season. And Southampton fans will probably feel they deserved something from the FA Cup tie (and not without basis). And then wasn't the next game a hard-fought 3-2 last-minute jobbie again?

My point is that there hasn't been the sea change in average performance level that those strings of letters would suggest. Much like how Spurs still weren't great this season with both Kane and Son. The results in isolation add a certain simplistic absolutism to the murkier systemic problem of a team that just isn't very good at the moment.

Or, in other words, don't let all the Ws distract anyone from the dire situation outside of Kane and Son. The team was performing badly, then they took away Kane and things got worse, then they took away Son and without Kane or Son, things got tragic. Things will still be bad (better but bad) when Kane and Son return unless the rest of the team changes their tune. And that's what these games right now should be about: trying to get a tune out of everyone else, so that when the main men do come back, they make the team actually good (rather than just bringing back enough individual brilliance to keep Spurs afloat like they were before).

I'm just trying to temper expectations so that nobody makes the very easy mistake of thinking that things will immediately and sharply improve as soon as either Kane or Son is back. The team has been relying on one of those two to outperform statistical expectations to win games for at least a year now and it isn't going to happen all or even a supermajority of the time[1]. Some of the recent wins are simply evidence of times the hopeful strategy worked.

[1] It will work more than half the time, though, almost by definition. Kane, especially, and Son are world class precisely because they so often outperform expectation (as defined statistically).

Last edited:
I’m seeing a Spurs smash-and-grab. Tedious first fifty/ sixty with all the journeymen on; then bring on tired forwards for the last 20-30.

Would like to see Stevie and Dele not starting, to allow them to be a bit of a nuisance as the game progresses - clearly both knackered and SB not used to effort of Prem. Don’t think we have enough genuine cover for those positions so probably as we were (also with Skippy) on Wednesday. Perhaps Toby in for Dav / Dier; Davies back at LB.

But what the f*** do I know?

:klinsmann:

Back
Top Bottom