Levy out?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Levy Out?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure. On the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Plenty of other clubs have back up strikers, but apparently we cannot..
Chelsea have giroud, athletico signed morata even though they have Costa. Ffs even Bournemouth have Wilson and king, but little old us obviously not.
We all know money talks and bullshit walks, so if you pay what's needed in football these days you can have a very strong squad in both quality and depth.
But our parasite does not like this way, andthinks we are the only club that this universal football rule does not apply too...........not the smartest plan from a supposedly clever bloke imo, he and poch and Mourinho have been quoted as saying we have to do things differently, why ???

We have a squad worth 900m would you rather spend like West Ham and have a squad worth 370m .... anyone can spunk away millions on shit players ... is that what you want?

If you want to support ageing over priced wankers then follow one of the teams you listed ... it's your choice.

Plenty of other clubs have back up strikers, but apparently we cannot..
Chelsea have giroud, athletico signed morata even though they have Costa. Ffs even Bournemouth have Wilson and king, but little old us obviously not.
We all know money talks and bullshit walks, so if you pay what's needed in football these days you can have a very strong squad in both quality and depth.
But our parasite does not like this way, andthinks we are the only club that this universal football rule does not apply too...........not the smartest plan from a supposedly clever bloke imo, he and poch and Mourinho have been quoted as saying we have to do things differently, why ???
We’ve got Kane and Son.

I’d much rather have those two than Costa and Morata. And who would AM have if both those got injured? Thaw out Nando Torres? How do Bournemouth get on without King and Wilson? How many players do you want for each position?

Are Chelsea’s three strikers any better than our two? Would you be thinking now “well, Kane and Son are out, but at least we’ve got Batshuayi to slip right in and score a skip full.”?

Not buying it. Sorry.

We’ve got Kane and Son.

I’d much rather have those two than Costa and Morata. And who would AM have if both those got injured? Thaw out Nando Torres? How do Bournemouth get on without King and Wilson? How many players do you want for each position?

Are Chelsea’s three strikers any better than our two? Would you be thinking now “well, Kane and Son are out, but at least we’ve got Batshuayi to slip right in and score a skip full.”?

Not buying it. Sorry.

Kane and Son don't play in the same position though, it's the equivalent of what Chelsea did when they played Hazard up front. He can play there in a pinch but he's clearly not a central striker like Kane. We have never had just one senior player for that position until now, we used to always have 2 or even 3 with players like Defoe, Keane, Crouch, Pav, Adebayor, Gudjohnsen, Saha, Soldado, Janssen and Llorente in the mix. It's important for the balance of the squad, otherwise when Kane is out you have to put Son up there which leads to two positions in the team being weakened instead of one. Now they are both out we are having to change the whole arrangement of the team.

Our normal 4231 with Dele, Lucas and Bergwijn behind Batshuayi sounds a whole lot better than this 442/532 with Lucas and Bergwijn up front. The balance is not there with the players we have.

Kane and Son don't play in the same position though, it's the equivalent of what Chelsea did when they played Hazard up front. He can play there in a pinch but he's clearly not a central striker like Kane. We have never had just one senior player for that position until now, we used to always have 2 or even 3 with players like Defoe, Keane, Crouch, Pav, Adebayor, Gudjohnsen, Saha, Soldado, Janssen and Llorente in the mix. It's important for the balance of the squad, otherwise when Kane is out you have to put Son up there which leads to two positions in the team being weakened instead of one. Now they are both out we are having to change the whole arrangement of the team.

Our normal 4231 with Dele, Lucas and Bergwijn behind Batshuayi sounds a whole lot better than this 442/532 with Lucas and Bergwijn up front. The balance is not there with the players we have.
It does sound better. Not much but I agree better. So you’d be happy paying £35m and £90k a week and take up a non HG position to have Bats play half a dozen times in a season and score once or twice? Not me. And I’m not even talking about him in particular, but any striker of his standard.

And I know Kane and Son play in different positions but when Kane gets injured previously, Son steps up as he’s an excellent plan B. Just shit luck he got injured. I can categorically say if, a big if, we had Bats and Son wasn’t injured, Son would be playing up front and Bats would be on the bench. Not getting on.

It does sound better. Not much but I agree better. So you’d be happy paying £35m and £90k a week and take up a non HG position to have Bats play half a dozen times in a season and score once or twice? Not me. And I’m not even talking about him in particular, but any striker of his standard.

And I know Kane and Son play in different positions but when Kane gets injured previously, Son steps up as he’s an excellent plan B. Just shit luck he got injured. I can categorically say if, a big if, we had Bats and Son wasn’t injured, Son would be playing up front and Bats would be on the bench. Not getting on.

We still have 3 competitions to play in and Son cannot play every single minute. Last season we had Llorente to lean on which lessened the burden on Son.

I think we could have spent £25m on someone like Willian Jose or Piatek and it would have been an acceptable punt. But of course the time to buy a striker was in the summer, when we tried very hard to sign an almost unattainable player in Dybala and didn't seem to have anyone else in mind. After all Kane's injury problems and never-ending football during the last few summers, it was an obvious failure not to sign an understudy. Was an injured Ryan Sessegnon really more important? We spent £30m on him.

We still have 3 competitions to play in and Son cannot play every single minute. Last season we had Llorente to lean on which lessened the burden on Son.

I think we could have spent £25m on someone like Willian Jose or Piatek and it would have been an acceptable punt. But of course the time to buy a striker was in the summer, when we tried very hard to sign an almost unattainable player in Dybala and didn't seem to have anyone else in mind. After all Kane's injury problems and never-ending football during the last few summers, it was an obvious failure not to sign an understudy. Was an injured Ryan Sessegnon really more important? We spent £30m on him.
Son can play every minute and would if he weren’t injured. Neither Poch nor Jose are keen on subbing their strikers.

I’ve no idea why we signed Sess. I’m assuming Poch knows. Our scouts almost certainly. Levy of course. Me and you? No idea. But the club obviously felt it was the right thing to do. And it was six months before both our main forwards got injured. We all love a bit of hindsight though.

What people are missing is the difference between Poch & Jose. Poch did not play the back up striker and rarely played moura & Son together if Dele & Kane were fit. This meant Moura was available from the bench or to cover Kane's absence. That all changed with the new Manager who played Moura and Son as well as kane. This meant all 3 played every match. I think you will see that if the club find an acceptable back up striker in the summer that he will get more game time that his predecessors.

pipes thank you for the reply. I see you're frustrated from the text posted?

(It’s four areas as far as I can see.

1. Football Manager generation. It’s a piece of piss to sign players and to keep massive squads happy on the laptop, so why not in real life?)

I'm pretty sure people don't base their impressions of the club on PES or the like mate eh?​

(2. We’ve had relative success recently and this has raised expectations to a level that we’d have to be operating in a vacuum to achieve. We’d have to have no Man City or Liverpool or any of those pesky clubs that also want to win giving us any hassle. The bastards.)

I guess this could be a contributing factor. Our rise does instill higher levels of expectation. Maybe the frustration release value hits the club due to it's achievement in the climb up the league table? But surely this should cause celebration?​

(3. A fundamental lack of understanding that we have to get money to spend money. And the purchase of players isn’t the only pull on our purse strings.)

You mean the club don't have enough money tho shot gun purchase players?​

4. The ticket prices are extremely high in comparison to other clubs. So therefore we should be better than those clubs. The same people will pay for a meal and demand it is the best thing ever if they are paying top whack, again not understanding that life just isn’t like that sometimes.

Ticket prices are ridiculous across England! This isn't helped by the fact that most (all?) clubs harbor pockets of tourist style bums on seats. It's a bit off topic but for me, I don't know how English football clubs can justify the cost of a ticket. Sky is the same... It's a paid subscription service yet, the viewer is subjected to advertising during every broadcast lol!​

(But hey, could be something else.)

There's more to this I think. The vast majority of posters in this thread feel the club are letting them down due to their non-backing of the manager, or are there any other reasons as to why 'levy is a bold cunt'?​

It doesn't appear that these same posters want to be engage in this discussion mind. I'm not looking for a cunt off here, I'm trying to get understand why and how some of of our fans feel so let down by the club.

We’ve got Kane and Son.

Not buying it. Sorry.
Son isn't a striker though.

At least our manager doesn't think so

Jose Mourinho Says Heung-Min Son and Lucas Moura Can't Replace Harry Kane

I think I'd value Jose's opinion more than the excuses of you and the rest of the apologist cult.

pipes thank you for the reply. I see you're frustrated from the text posted?

(It’s four areas as far as I can see.

1. Football Manager generation. It’s a piece of piss to sign players and to keep massive squads happy on the laptop, so why not in real life?)

I'm pretty sure people don't base their impressions of the club on PES or the like mate eh?​

(2. We’ve had relative success recently and this has raised expectations to a level that we’d have to be operating in a vacuum to achieve. We’d have to have no Man City or Liverpool or any of those pesky clubs that also want to win giving us any hassle. The bastards.)

I guess this could be a contributing factor. Our rise does instill higher levels of expectation. Maybe the frustration release value hits the club due to it's achievement in the climb up the league table? But surely this should cause celebration?​

(3. A fundamental lack of understanding that we have to get money to spend money. And the purchase of players isn’t the only pull on our purse strings.)

You mean the club don't have enough money tho shot gun purchase players?​

4. The ticket prices are extremely high in comparison to other clubs. So therefore we should be better than those clubs. The same people will pay for a meal and demand it is the best thing ever if they are paying top whack, again not understanding that life just isn’t like that sometimes.

Ticket prices are ridiculous across England! This isn't helped by the fact that most (all?) clubs harbor pockets of tourist style bums on seats. It's a bit off topic but for me, I don't know how English football clubs can justify the cost of a ticket. Sky is the same... It's a paid subscription service yet, the viewer is subjected to advertising during every broadcast lol!​

(But hey, could be something else.)

There's more to this I think. The vast majority of posters in this thread feel the club are letting them down due to their non-backing of the manager, or are there any other reasons as to why 'levy is a bold cunt'?​

It doesn't appear that these same posters want to be engage in this discussion mind. I'm not looking for a cunt off here, I'm trying to get understand why and how some of of our fans feel so let down by the club.
Frustrated? Maybe. Mainly as it’s the same two or three on here that are trying to convince us that they speak for the majority when it’s plain they don’t.

Do we back the manager? I reckon we do, whoever it is. When Poch or Jose are interviewed and say “I am happy” I tend to believe they are probably happy. Others feel there’s a hidden message between the lines and they aren’t happy. But don’t want to piss off Levy by saying so.

I’ll just believe what I see and hear. I’m not going to make up hidden messages and then claim them to be gospel. Don’t get the point in going that to myself.

I think I'd value Jose's opinion more than the excuses of you and the rest of the apologist cult.
Of course Son can’t replace Kane. Kane is a much better striker. Nice to see you believing Jose when he says this. Assume you believe him when he says he’s happy with the squad too?

But Son scores goals. Quite a lot of them. And he’s done adequately in the past when Kane has been out.

Let’s see if any other team could do anything with their two main goal threats injured. Who’s Man City’s third striker? Or would you like Origi bouncing around up front like a lunatic? Or Batshuayi and his stellar goals record? Or are they not good enough? Should we spend more?

You seem to know all about this transfer lark. Give me a name of who we should sign.

Cue - it’s not up to me to name players.

But you’ll happily tell everyone how to run a massive football club. Tool.

Batshuayi cost £30M 4 years ago and has a return of 8 goals in 47 appearances... So we splash that amount now for a player who doesn't score, and will play the odd game here and there when Kane returns?

Of course Son can’t replace Kane. Kane is a much better striker. Nice to see you believing Jose when he says this. Assume you believe him when he says he’s happy with the squad too?

But Son scores goals. Quite a lot of them. And he’s done adequately in the past when Kane has been out.

Let’s see if any other team could do anything with their two main goal threats injured. Who’s Man City’s third striker? Or would you like Origi bouncing around up front like a lunatic? Or Batshuayi and his stellar goals record? Or are they not good enough? Should we spend more?

You seem to know all about this transfer lark. Give me a name of who we should sign.

Cue - it’s not up to me to name players.

But you’ll happily tell everyone how to run a massive football club. Tool.
Despite Son starting the game....."Jose said 3 times that Spurs played without a striker"

So, your'e claim that Son is a striker looks pretty ridiculous now

We’ve got Kane and Son.

You're disputing our own managers judgement to try and justify our pathetic decision to wing it through the window with O strikers.:mourfacepalm:

Awkward.

Stockholm Syndrome prevails

Despite Son starting the game....."Jose said 3 times that Spurs played without a striker"

You're disputing our own managers judgement to try and justify our pathetic decision to wing it through the window with O strikers.:mourfacepalm:

Awkward.

Not at all. I don’t think Son is a natural striker. He’s better wide. So, to repeat, I agree he isn’t a striker. He’s not a striker. A striker he is not.

But, to step in when our main guy is out, I’ve all the confidence in the world that he’d perform the role extremely well. As he has done before. When Kane has been injured previously, we’ve managed fine with Son, the non striker, scoring goals.

Let me ask you, if we’d signed William Jose or Piatek in January and Son hadn’t got injured, who do you REALLY believe would be playing up front at the weekend?

I’m as sure as I can be it would be the guy who is not a striker. But you maybe think we’d play an inferior player there.

Awkward.

Funny how you believe him when he says that but not when he says
"I'm happy"

:kanehand:

Son has started 85 games and scored 39 goals assisting 16 times, he may not be a striker in the mould of Harry but he can play as a centre forward. If you really believe absolutely everything any football manager says, let alone Jose, your a fucking idiot. Should we have a back up to Kane absolutely, will it be easy to find one reasonably priced that scores regularly and is willing to sit on the bench absolutely not, open your fucking eyes.

Son has started 85 games and scored 39 goals assisting 16 times, he may not be a striker in the mould of Harry but he can play as a centre forward. If you really believe absolutely everything any football manager says, let alone Jose, your a fucking idiot. Should we have a back up to Kane absolutely, will it be easy to find one reasonably priced that scores regularly and is willing to sit on the bench absolutely not, open your fucking eyes.
With a scoring record like that, he can be called a penguin or an astronaut, I couldn’t give a shite, just don’t call him a striker.

Back
Top Bottom