Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

None of our team made Alli's absence on Saturday a decision that was justified.

Which is entirely different from any judgement on whether he deserved to be benched.
Fair point about Saturday.
I think Jose will look at starting options that don't always include Dele, who might just need a bit of time out of the spotlight, to get himself together, and also to have some well deserved rest.

None of our team made Alli's absence on Saturday a decision that was justified.

Which is entirely different from any judgement on whether he deserved to be benched.

Whats the point of people wanting a player to play if he supposedly needs *Walker/Dembele/Eriksen/A world class DM/Kane/Son* to play in order for him to look good?

Four aren’t here and two are injured.

So why play Dele?

Allardyce was wrongnto take back handers when England manager. He isn't exactly the beacon or purity I'd like to hear from when it comes to footballers wrong doings,
I think Allardyce is a stain on football. He and Wenger are very different football people. Both of them are saying the same thing.

Anyway, I think what Dele did was an act of gross insubordination. And that was at least the third time in the last 3 months that he thrown stuff around in the dugout after being substituted. He did it when we beat Burnley and he did it when we drew with Watford.

I think Allardyce is a stain on football. He and Wenger are very different football people. Both of them are saying the same thing.

Anyway, I think what Dele did was an act of gross insubordination. And that was at least the third time in the last 3 months that he thrown stuff around in the dugout after being substituted. He did it when we beat Burnley and he did it when we drew with Watford.

I'm not saying Dele was right to do so, I think his recent reactions to being subbed are rather petulant given his form for the past 12 months. If experts to be untouchable compared to other seasons gone by based on what he's delivering rightness now then he's only fooling himself mate.

My beef is with Wenger and Allardyce, both of who weren't exactly gentlemen in the game (bribes and water bottle throwing), feeling like they are the voice of reason when it comes to petulance and behaviour.

Were they publicly undermining their bosses when they had their little fanny attacks?

Did they both act out of line for such esteemed roles? Wenger threw bottles, pushed rival managers, got sent off more as a manager than Dele has as a player.....all I'm saying is that they aren't exactly the most noble of men whose words I value.

Back on the Dele issue, yes he shouldn't do what he did in my eyes, he needs to suck it up and accept that he's not playing well enou to warrant being untouchable. He needs to wind his neck in and not attract negative attention at a time where we could do without it. He knows the media will lap up reactions like the ones we've been seeing, someone needs to have words with him but I can think of better men to Ben passing judgement on his behaviour than Wenger and Allardyce

Did they both act out of line for such esteemed roles? Wenger threw bottles, pushed rival managers, got sent off more as a manager than Dele has as a player.....all I'm saying is that they aren't exactly the most noble of men whose words I value.
It is not a question of whether or not they are noble. They have had lengthy considerable managerial careers, and the point they are making is that when a player reacts like that to being subbed, it is considered giving the two fingers to the manager. I don't care if the water bottle got hurt or not.

It is not a question of whether or not they are noble. They have had lengthy considerable managerial careers, and the point they are making is that when a player reacts like that to being subbed, it is considered giving the two fingers to the manager. I don't care if the water bottle got hurt or not.

As I said, Dele shouldn't be behaving the way he did and in my opinion, Wenger and Allardyce shouldn't be getting involved in the debate. Both did things a lot worse than Dele's reaction, both are hypocrites because of that.

Part of Dele’s frustration is with himself no doubt. He had no right to be angry about being pulled against Leipzig based on that performance and nearly every performance for the last 2.5 years. He’s getting frustrated with himself, which I like. I worried he was going to turn into an Instagram footballer like Lingard not so long ago, but his response to this shows what happens on the pitch matters to him. That’s a start to the healing!

He really is at an apex in his career, a lot of fans want to see up deploy a 433 with pace out wide, that doesn’t suit him. And even if Jose sticks with 4231, Dele is not a guaranteed starter at the 10 based upon his performances.

As a start, I’d give him a run as a false 9. Tell him we need him there. Tell him to lead from the front in terms of pressing, use his intelligence to hold the ball up and make those clever runs into the box to get on the end of chances or create space for others. I’d get him to watch videos of Firminho playing that role as there are similarities in their skill set (not saying they are the same player).

Dele can drop deep to get the ball as he does now, CB’s hate that as they’re never sure weather to track the man or not.

Dele, we need you to step up now. No more playing around.

Last edited:
There was a period (around the christmas period i think) where it looked like Dele was knackered and Mourinho kept playing him and that was with Kane and Son available. He never dropped him.

Now we are missing our 2 main goalscorers and mourinho has decided to drop our only real goal threat with a decent goal return meaning we now have nobody that looks like they can score.

Say what you want about Dele but the decision to drop him now as opposed to resting him in games when Kane and Son were fit is baffling.

Back
Top Bottom