Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I appreciate some elements of his play and style might not be as efficient as others and physically every player is different but get a grip. He looked ruined after a few minutes and was walking about looking for a way out. He doesn’t even have base fitness. Something is seriously wrong here... this isn’t due to a little nuisance of his game. You also don’t lose base fitness after a few weeks out.

Dembele was hardly Mr fucking dynamic was he? I don't think I ever saw Dembele break into a sprint.

There is some truth in that.
But at the same time I feel that Dembele did put in more effort to the defensive side of things. I mean he pressed opposition midfielders better, tackled more and won the ball back more.

I have no issue with Ndombelly running style - he could run with the back towards oppo goal for me.

But I would like to see his defensive side to improve. Not that he should become DM. But I don't think it would hurt to close down some passing lines, put some pressure on opposition midfielders while they have the ball etc.

I feel that where we are right now we can't afford to have one midfielder on the pitch, who does not put in defensive shift. It is ofc mainly down to our recruiting - we should have proper DM to deploy next to him. But it is what it is and all of our players have to adapt to the situation somewhat.

Hope he starts against Chavs in the weekend and puts in a stellar performance :) !

There is some truth in that.
But at the same time I feel that Dembele did put in more effort to the defensive side of things. I mean he pressed opposition midfielders better, tackled more and won the ball back more.

I have no issue with Ndombelly running style - he could run with the back towards oppo goal for me.

But I would like to see his defensive side to improve. Not that he should become DM. But I don't think it would hurt to close down some passing lines, put some pressure on opposition midfielders while they have the ball etc.

I feel that where we are right now we can't afford to have one midfielder on the pitch, who does not put in defensive shift. It is ofc mainly down to our recruiting - we should have proper DM to deploy next to him. But it is what it is and all of our players have to adapt to the situation somewhat.

Hope he starts against Chavs in the weekend and puts in a stellar performance :) !

I haven’t seen the pressing stats recently, I’ll see if I can find some, but he’s averaging more tackles and interceptions than Sissoko and Dier per 90, same tackles per game as Winks.

I honestly think some of this is about perception and aesthetics.

As with Dembele, who also had flaws, and wasn’t the most dynamic, who took ages to work his way into becoming a regular starter, I think we need to find a system/format that gets the best out of Ndombele, not keep dwelling on what aren’t his strengths - because whenever he’s on the pitch, we look more creative and can play through midfield better.

He was always best in a 433 as the R8 in the CM3, with a dynamic 6 in the centre. We have the perfect pair of 8’s for that system in Lo Celso and Ndombele, we just need to put a good 6 in there and change to the 433.

I haven’t seen the pressing stats recently, I’ll see if I can find some, but he’s averaging more tackles and interceptions than Sissoko and Dier per 90, same tackles per game as Winks.

I honestly think some of this is about perception and aesthetics.

As with Dembele, who also had flaws, and wasn’t the most dynamic, who took ages to work his way into becoming a regular starter, I think we need to find a system/format that gets the best out of Ndombele, not keep dwelling on what aren’t his strengths - because whenever he’s on the pitch, we look more creative and can play through midfield better.

He was always best in a 433 as the R8 in the CM3, with a dynamic 6 in the centre. We have the perfect pair of 8’s for that system in Lo Celso and Ndombele, we just need to put a good 6 in there and change to the 433.

Might be all true, don't have any proof it not being so.
Though I am not sure how closing opposition pass lines for example is reflected in stats?
I mean I remember that in some games Scotty looked like a one person CM trio... But stats were kinda meeh. He was super efficient of closing down passing options for oppositions players to pass the ball.

Though couldn't agree more about middle paragraph of your post. Easiest option would have been to bring in good DM in Jan and play him with Ndombele - Lo Celso... Why we did not take the option.... No clue..

Might be all true, don't have any proof it not being so.
Though I am not sure how closing opposition pass lines for example is reflected in stats?

here are the stats bomb comparison radar's from last season for Ndombele and Sissoko showing pressures and pressure regains (and pressure adjusted interceptions), both of which show Ndombele pressing more and more effectively than Sissoko over the course of the season.

qkPpwmH.png

As you can see, this didn't come at thew cost of his offensive game either, he transitions the ball much better, all the creative/progression stats (dribbles, xg buildup, xg assisted, deep progression, passing) are all vastly superior.

So effortless for him.

Needs to start against Chelsea - even if he plays just 60 minutes.
I completely get the logic for not starting him and bringing him on in the 2nd half when the oppo might be nearing fatigue.

The downside to this is that seeing our strategy at the moment relies heavily on letting the oppo have double-figure shots on our goal in the first period and praying that they don't take these opportunities we might be 5-0 down before he gets on the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom