Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

yeah was that one in the standard.

Said the new stadium was bigger financial commitment than they realised, costs spiralled and we don’t spend like other clubs we have a set budget.

And that’s just how it is - that’s spurs.

He's hardly going to tell other clubs he's got loads of money to spend though is he ?

This 'set budget' means everything.... and nothing ! If its 'set' at the same level as summer 2019, that means £100m net spend...….which is very different to summer 2018 or summer 2017 !

The stadium is now financed - and via bonds (repayable in 20+ years) at 2.6% interest on average which is better than Levy could have dreamed of before the build. So all the build delays and cost overruns are now in the past and dealt with.

Levy is a businessman and knows he needs to keep a packed stadium to get matchday money, and to get sponsorships knows that sponsors want a degree of success.

So I'm quietly confident that, as I say, we try to bring in 4 - 6 players in summer 2020 and if we need to spend £100m net the money is there, simply because the squad needs a refresh after poor transfer windows after 2015 through to January 2019 when few of the 20 odd players who joined made any impression on the first team - hence the squad we have.

Last edited:
No Kane
No Son
No backup striker
No Sissoko
Incompetent RB
LB just returning from injury
No decent CDM
Record signing can't get fit
No real attacking options from them bench (Lamela when fit)
Players having to play out of position

He has taken us 14th place to 1 point off the top 4 with Chelsea to play this weekend
5th Round FA cup
Still well in this CL fixture

It might not be pretty at the moment but he is doing what he can with the tools he has.

And he had to spend the first 85% of his time as Spurs manager without his number 1 goalkeeper. It's been a genuinely horrendous start based on all circumstances and you know what. We've made up 11 points on the team we were chasing during nthst time. Mad how people don't see that.

Trophies are a concern for me (even though I don't feel we have a divine right to win one, or that it's 100% the be all and end all), but I don't think we need new owners in order to do so.

It seems to be a semi-common belief that over the last 13-14 years Levy has been trying to run us into the kind of club that could attract a manager such as Jose Mourinho, a proven manager rather than an up and coming prospect.

The reason for that has to be because he doesn't want to create a club that ticks over and qualifies for things that bring sufficient money in, but to end up with a club that are consistently credible challengers for major titles, and actually wins things on a regular basis.

Without Son and Kane's injuries, it's easy to see Mourinho winning something this season, then putting in place the team that will make us winners next year and beyond.

The question to be asked after that is who next? That will be Levy's biggest test, should Mourinho turn an underachieving club into achievers, to find the man to continue the upward trajectory that I think believes will now come

Let him win the PL and CL and a few cups before we think of moving on which I think he’ll do eventually

It’s the people like me, who are utterly tired and fed up of never winning anything. I’d take a spawny 1 nil win in every game from now till the end of the season. I just want to win. 32 years I’ve supported us and I haven’t seen enough trophies I’m afraid.
It shows how time flies, that you have to be over 65 to be a spurs fan & considered a glory supporter.

Don’t mind him being honest with that state of things. So many of our past managers just pretend everything is great maybe to keep Levy sweet, he just says it how he sees it.
It has also taken him out of any responsibility for the performance. From here on out the reason, we lose or play crap is because Son and Kane are out. Jose has reframed the status quo at the Club in under 3 months from "This team can win the league" to I can't wait until July".

It has also taken him out of any responsibility for the performance. From here on out the reason, we lose or play crap is because Son and Kane are out. Jose has reframed the status quo at the Club in under 3 months from "This team can win the league" to I can't wait until July".

And isn't he letting us know it. He's got some fans conditioned to believe: Good result = Mourinho Masterclass. Bad Result = Mourinho hampered by injuries.

And isn't he letting us know it. He's got some fans conditioned to believe: Good result = Mourinho Masterclass. Bad Result = Mourinho hampered by injuries.
The only caveat I will bring into this is that he might be trying to do what he's excelled at and that is to create a seige like mentality (well it failed spectacularly at Utd as the Club and fans didn't take to kindly to having the greatest club side in the history of the English game being made to look like the sad little underdog each week).

I've no particular issue with this approach other than I need him to put his bollocks on the line too. I do not see him doing this from his latest moanings about what is his lot is at Spurs. All I see is a list of excuses already lined up in the event of getting beat.

He can't do much now but he knew well when he signed a contract. Don't think he gets paid to be a face Jose has ambitions still.

We haven't got a fit striker or backup striker man, Christ what do you expect Mourninho to do? Part the Red Sea?!

This isn't the 1960's. Lots of teams play without an orthodox striker in modern football. All the best teams have a lot of interchanging of position. Liverpool don't really play with a number 9. Mourinho can't play without one because his tactics are so outdated.

To some extent but I would caution that this team can win the league was mostly likely salesman stuff.

Modern football you mostly need a complete team to win things, we have no proper DM or cover striker as well as needing a few other upgrades. We have some very good players but compared to the competition it’s not a team yet that could be expected to win things, irrespective of manager.

Maybe it has taken some responsibility off him but it has at least put the responsibility on the board to deliver. I like so many things Levy has done but leaving holes in the team is something he has done to many managers and that has to change.

This isn't the 1960's. Lots of teams play without an orthodox striker in modern football. All the best teams have a lot of interchanging of position. Liverpool don't really play with a number 9. Mourinho can't play without one because his tactics are so outdated.
Tell me one team that doesn't play with a number 9 apart from Liverpool. Barcelona? Struggling alot since Suarez got injured. Juve? They're rotating Higuain and Ronaldo there. PSG? Have had the most success with Icardi on the pitch, and couldn't do anything when he didn't play v BVB. You're just talking out of your arse.

To some extent but I would caution that this team can win the league was mostly likely salesman stuff.

Modern football you mostly need a complete team to win things, we have no proper DM or cover striker as well as needing a few other upgrades. We have some very good players but compared to the competition it’s not a team yet that could be expected to win things, irrespective of manager.

Maybe it has taken some responsibility off him but it has at least put the responsibility on the board to deliver. I like so many things Levy has done but leaving holes in the team is something he has done to many managers and that has to change.
Man for man, position for position, how does our team compare to Leipzig's (Wolves, Southampton's and Sheffield Utd's)?

Back
Top Bottom