Tottenham Hotspur Versus Redbull Leipzig 19/02/2010

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anyway could be worse, pity the poor fuckers who flew from South Korea to see Sonny and instead had to sit through that shit, and now get to relax in the salubrious surroundings of the Edmonton Travelodge.

I’ve stayed there

It’s ok

I'm struggling to see the heroic honour in that to be honest.

Their back 3/goalie cost about 5m total inc loan fees. Their midfield 4 cost 24m. the strikers cost 14m and a 650k loan fee.

Their whole starting 11 cost about 5m more than we paid fore one of our CB's. And they were missing some first choice players too. Their manager has about a 20th of the experience of ours.

Not having our main striker is not ideal, but that's not why we were comprehensively out played and couldn't string three passes together for an hour.

I'm not saying all is lost in this tie, or that Mourinho doesn't deserve some time etc, but I'm just struggling with the whole "poor us" thing.
Amazing what having a manger wingeing in his interviews and press conferences does to fan perception.

Nothing to do with levy tonight, purely down to shit tactics from Jose, we could of prime ronaldo up top today and it wouldn’t of made a difference
Are you actually taking the piss? Leipzig wouldn't defend the box because we had no target man, so they all protected the area outside the box. He set the team decently enough. This loss was neither down to José, nor the players.

A striker that hasn't played is one more striker then we had on the fucking pitch. Not ready? Well tough. Seriously we should have stuck him on at least late in the game. What else have we fucking got

We were dominating the later stages so why change it?

This isn't about transfer windows. That Red Bull team cost peanuts to assemble compared to ours and they also didn't play with a recognised CB and played a Chelsea kid out on loan!!

Tonight you witnessed two teams playing in the image of their managers.
This!!!!

I wonder* how they put that team together, with 2 players for each position year after fucking year, on such a low budget. And on the flipside sell them on for so much money. Wow, they really are a well run club. If only we were in the market for a DOF and in some perfect world their Sporting Director was begging to take up a new post...in a new league...in a country where he spent a Uni year learning to appreciate English football...

*actually i don't wonder about any of this. It's Ralf Rangnick and he's gagging to come to the PL but DL would never give up the control necessary even though Rangnick has proven himself able to work within the financial constraints of a non-oil/oligarch budget yet still ID top talent and provide entertaining/winning football seasons after season.

This!!!!

I wonder* how they put that team together, with 2 players for each position year after fucking year, on such a low budget. And on the flipside sell them on for so much money. Wow, they really are a well run club. If only we were in the market for a DOF and in some perfect world their Sporting Director was begging to take up a new post...in a new league...in a country where he spent a Uni year learning to appreciate English football...

*actually i don't wonder about any of this. It's Ralf Rangnick and he's gagging to come to the PL but DL would never give up the control necessary even though Rangnick has proven himself able to work within the financial constraints of a non-oil/oligarch budget yet still ID top talent and provide entertaining/winning football seasons after season.
Big links being made this week of him going to Utd (a pinch of salt and all that as Utd get linked to literally everything that moves, it was Mitchell in the summer).

Are you actually taking the piss? Leipzig wouldn't defend the box because we had no target man, so they all protected the area outside the box. He set the team decently enough. This loss was neither down to José, nor the players.
Leipzig had nothing to worry about because from minute 1 we sat as deep as possible and never made any attempt to put any pressure on them. We played like a championship club away at premier league opposition, 2 banks of 4, long balls into the channels anytime we had possession.

Also why was the Turkish ref allowed to ignore that blatant obstruction off-the-ball when the German player would have had to be sent off for the foul on Lucas Moura? Yet he never hesitated giving the penalty to them. That was a diabolical decision on the obstruction that could have got Spurs a result.

We bought all the players you wanted in the summer.
Not all the players i wanted in. In fact, though mostly happy with GLC and Ndom, I would have liked to see names from off the beaten path. Those two were easy and didn't reassure me of our scouting ability...or that any scouting was actually being done.

And beyond those two (was not a fan of the Sessegnon move and had no idea about Clarke) it was numbers in and movement out that we needed...and still do FFS. Our new players are our best players and that's a sad indictment of what was left in the team.

Last edited:
Spursdem has another multi.

Yea say my name fluffer.
200.webp

Seriously, Alli in the front looked terrible. He is not made to be a striker.

- When was he every our furthest player forward?
- Why was he defending on the edge of our box at times and wide left much of the rest of the time?

A: He wasn't played as striker.

Leipzig had nothing to worry about because from minute 1 we sat as deep as possible and never made any attempt to put any pressure on them. We played like a championship club away at premier league opposition, 2 banks of 4, long balls into the channels anytime we had possession.

We were forced back by an excellent team

Back
Top Bottom