Is Top 4 Gone Now And What Would Be The Ramifications?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Top 4 Gone?

• Total voters
This game has gone from must win 4 games ago to must not lose. I'd see the positives in a draw, especially with us playing yesterday and Wednesday with Chelsea getting plenty of rest before they play us.
Chelsea have a week off before our game.

Saturday 22nd February 2020
PREMIER LEAGUE
  • Chelsea12:30Tottenham
Tuesday 25th February 2020
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - CHAMPIONS LEAGUE ROUND OF 16
  • Chelsea20:00Bayern Munich

Anyone else a bit worried that Man City just wont bother any more and gift most teams 3 points? Who have they got left to play who we could do with them beating?
Edit - they still got Leicester , united and Chelsea to play, we could really do with them winning all these but with the league gone and CL not possible what motivation do they have ??

I think it will be the opposite. They’ll start by absolutely dicking West Ham next week.

Mate.. explain to me how we can gain 6 points on them in one game. Really think about it this time.
Well, there's a reason why some games are called a 6-pointer. If Team A and Team B are both in a race for a certain place, then each week is a chance for them to gain another 3 points. Assuming both teams have equivalent form against the rest of the league, then their only real chance to gain a lead over their rival is when they play each other.

In that case, wining 3 points doesn't just mean another week of points, it also guarantees that the rival team CANNOT win the 3 points needed to keep up with you. So, it's not only 3 points won by one team, but 3 points (or the potential for them) lost by the other team as well.

That's why sometimes people say that games are 'worth' 6 points. I doubt anyone thinks that anyone actually gets 6 points for winning a game.

Mate.. explain to me how we can gain 6 points on them in one game. Really think about it this time.

You must have heard of a 6-pointer.

For example, if we beat Chelsea we gain 3 points whilst also denying them the opportunity to gain 3 points.

Obviously we don’t gain 6 points on them, but a win simultaneously means they lose 3 potential points.

Say there is team a with 15 points and team b with 11. If A win, there will be a 7 point lead. If B wins there would be a 1 point lead. 7-1 = 6. Potential six point difference based on the result of the game.

this is actually what a 6 pointer is. Don’t know what kind of math some of you are doing.

I said all along that if we were within 4 points of Chelsea by the time this game is done we'd be in a very decent situation. Best thing is now that's the worst case scanrio we are faced with.

With injuries to Kante, Hudson-Odoi, Pulisic and potentially Abraham, so long as we aren't out on our feet by the time we play them, I think we can up and give them a bit of a saucing. Keep it tight, know that their fans will get twitchy at the game goes on and use our pace to expose their lack of a DM.

Man U next few fixtures:

Watford (H), Everton (A), Manchester City (H), Tottenham (A), Sheffield United (H)

If 5th place is good enough for Champions League, the next month is huge for us regarding their run of fixtures. Our game against them an absolute must win.

Say there is team a with 15 points and team b with 11. If A win, there will be a 7 point lead. If B wins there would be a 1 point lead. 7-1 = 6. Potential six point difference based on the result of the game.

this is actually what a 6 pointer is. Don’t know what kind of math some of you are doing.
Informative....if only there was a button🤔

After all, when you think about it, every game has the same 6-point potential swing in the table. If Team A has 30 points, and Team B has 5, the gap could be reduced to 22, or expanded to 28.

But it wouldn't be a "six-pointer".

they’re doing maths

Back
Top Bottom