Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nah mate you just stand for nothing
I'm starting to get turned on this argument Sammy. It appears he has scored a fair few goals and is still quite a young player with an apparently high ceiling for growth. It's a compelling argument Sammy in your zeal to abandon one of our faithful servants to the club. Shouldn't we cast aside our biases in support of our players? Your hatred for this player coupled with your desire to watch Wham-City instead of our CL game makes me wonder if your truly Spurs Sammy.

I'm starting to get turned on this argument Sammy. It appears he has scored a fair few goals and is still quite a young player with an apparently high ceiling for growth. It's a compelling argument Sammy in your zeal to abandon one of our faithful servants to the club. Shouldn't we cast aside our biases in support of our players? Your hatred for this player coupled with your desire to watch Wham-City instead of our CL game makes me wonder if your truly Spurs Sammy.

I don’t always agree with Sammy but he’s Spurs

He was reeeeeeaaaalllly good, consistently, 3-4 years ago.

When he’s 27, some of you will still be waiting for Dele to be as good as he was when he was 18.
There comes a time when you have to say to yourself that unfortunately he wasn’t our new Gazza and never will be.

Dele really annoys me a lot with all these tricks and flicks that he keeps trying over and over again. Maddison & Grealish are very good players having good/excellent seasons....however....

Both of them get completely free roles in their team. They could even be called luxury players. Dele, however, has to play False 9, support striker, B2B CM. He's also expected to score and create goals.
The expectations for him are a lot higher. The season where he was given a free role (when we finished 2nd) he scored 20+ goals in all comps. Maddison & Grealish have never come near him in terms of those numbers. Even now in their best PL seasons, they are about on par with Dele for goals and assists.

Off the top of my head, Dele has scored and/or assisted in 2 FA Cup semi-finals, in the CL vs Real Madrid, Juventus, in the league vs Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Woolwich & Leicester. I can't remember if he has scored or assisted against Liverpool. Has Maddison or Grealish had the same output as he has against top teams or that level? He's been a regular for Poch, Jose and in the England team.

Again, I think the other 2 are good players but overall have they come to achieve individually the same as Dele even in their free roles? All 3 are a similar age as well.

Dele really annoys me a lot with all these tricks and flicks that he keeps trying over and over again. Maddison & Grealish are very good players having good/excellent seasons....however....

Both of them get completely free roles in their team. They could even be called luxury players. Dele, however, has to play False 9, support striker, B2B CM. He's also expected to score and create goals.
The expectations for him are a lot higher. The season where he was given a free role (when we finished 2nd) he scored 20+ goals in all comps. Maddison & Grealish have never come near him in terms of those numbers. Even now in their best PL seasons, they are about on par with Dele for goals and assists.

Off the top of my head, Dele has scored and/or assisted in 2 FA Cup semi-finals, in the CL vs Real Madrid, Juventus, in the league vs Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Woolwich & Leicester. I can't remember if he has scored or assisted against Liverpool. Has Maddison or Grealish had the same output as he has against top teams or that level? He's been a regular for Poch, Jose and in the England team.

Again, I think the other 2 are good players but overall have they come to achieve individually the same as Dele even in their free roles? All 3 are a similar age as well.
You started well but deteriorated. The main reason for that you are comparing a player from a top VI club in the last 5 seasons or so, a club with state of the art stadium, a London based PL club with players of Birmingham and Leicester. Lol

When he’s 27, some of you will still be waiting for Dele to be as good as he was when he was 18.
There comes a time when you have to say to yourself that unfortunately he wasn’t our new Gazza and never will be.

No one around at the moment who could take that role
Loved Gazza

I don’t always agree with Sammy but he’s Spurs
Yeah, I know. It was my lame attempt to get him going today. And I probably 'agree' with him half the time I register disagreement with him. I just enjoy it when he gets all 'Sammy'. It seems he's on to me now. Suck it, Sammy.

You make a good point. I miss those days of driving at all 10 outfield players and knocking in 3 or 4 30 yarders per game. Those were the days.

You've convinced me my man. This player must go. He's not good or consistent enough.

Yeah, I know. It was my lame attempt to get him going today. And I probably 'agree' with him half the time I register disagreement with him. I just enjoy it when he gets all 'Sammy'. It seems he's on to me now. Suck it, Sammy.

You make a good point. I miss those days of driving at all 10 outfield players and knocking in 3 or 4 30 yarders per game. Those were the days.

You've convinced me my man. This player must go. He's not good or consistent enough.

Plenty more on here to wind up mate

Especially if you mention pies 🥧

You started well but deteriorated. The main reason for that you are comparing a player from a top VI club in the last 5 seasons or so, a club with state of the art stadium, a London based PL club with players of Birmingham and Leicester. Lol

I agree with you to some extent but then again if Grealish and Maddison have been so good..why are they not playing for better teams / consistent top 5 teams? All 3 players are about the same age but Dele made the step up at an earlier age and has performed against the better teams.

Again Grealish and Maddison have free roles in their teams and apart from creating and scoring they have no other responsibility. Dele is expected to do that and more.

I agree with you to some extent but then again if Grealish and Maddison have been so good..why are they not playing for better teams / consistent top 5 teams? All 3 players are about the same age but Dele made the step up at an earlier age and has performed against the better teams.

Again Grealish and Maddison have free roles in their teams and apart from creating and scoring they have no other responsibility. Dele is expected to do that and more.

Exactly. Both Maddison and Grealish are bright young talents who have been impressive in the last couple of seasons, and drawn the eye of top-tier teams as a result. Dele Alli did that 5 years ago, still a teenager. He's bee carrying the expectations laid by that, and his first two seasons at Spurs, ever since, and now it looks like Jose has gotten him back into form.

Seems fairly likely to me that he was being smothered by the system over the last couple of years, and lost some drive as a result. He's thriving again under a manager who prefers to let the players work out their roles rather than regimenting them. Works for me.

What about before the PL?

Sadly the most accessible information only quote PL era

Already cracked the top 40 all time goalscorers list (ie PL and before so over 100 years of history), still pretty good for a midfield player, majority above him are strikers. And could be at Spurs for longer than he's already been here so could get a lot higher in the charts

Exactly. Both Maddison and Grealish are bright young talents who have been impressive in the last couple of seasons, and drawn the eye of top-tier teams as a result. Dele Alli did that 5 years ago, still a teenager. He's bee carrying the expectations laid by that, and his first two seasons at Spurs, ever since, and now it looks like Jose has gotten him back into form.

Seems fairly likely to me that he was being smothered by the system over the last couple of years, and lost some drive as a result. He's thriving again under a manager who prefers to let the players work out their roles rather than regimenting them. Works for me.
This thread is about Dele?

Completely agree with you. Dele & Maddison are both 23 and Grealish is 24 so Dele is also in the young talent category if the other 2 are.

Get Dele his killer instinct back and his goals will rack up again. He had so many great goal scoring opportunities yesterday because he is such an intelligent player and he always pops up in those positions. Grealish didn't get into those type of situations yesterday and I don't think he or Maddison do as much as Dele will over the course of a season.

Don't get me wrong, Dele still has a lot of work to do but at 23 years old have any/many non-strikers in world football racked up the numbers he has at that age?

Edit: sorry forgot to quote/ mention you Datzlo Datzlo

Last edited:
King Mousa King Mousa : not to mention that players like Gerrard and Lampard eked out similar numbers, all through their career, after being shoved into the deep end at similar ages. Dele Alli may never become our new Gazza, but if he becomes our Lampard then I'll take it.

Grealish and Maddison are playing very well for Villa and Leicester respectively. It is not the case with Dele atm.
Grealish and Maddison have improved in the last 2 season while Dele hasn't. Yes Dele had 2 good seasons 15/16 and 16/17 but that's history.
Fee role, no responsibility or expected more are excuses. What matters is putting a performance on the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom