January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Inter have just done is something we would never do.

They have just paid over the odds for a player with just months left on his contract because they fèel he will actually benefit the immediate fortunes of the football team and give them a greater chance of winning trophies this season.

Yet somehow we're supposed to feel proud 'cos they got Levy'd
Except for that time that we did do it by signing Lewis Holtby though yeah?

I get that. It's this mantra that we should be lining up to fondle Levy's balls every time he turns an unlikely profit on a player.
As a football fan, it gives me absolutely zero satisfaction. I'm more interested in winning football matches.
But Erisken was a no win, if levy sold him with 18 months left on his contract then it would be “ why are we a selling club” “selling him under pochs feet” “profit before glory” etc I guess though the deciding factor is whether this extra £20 million goes towards Jose’s transfer fund , any how regardless of the cash I’m glad he is gone, as I don’t think it was good for player morale him being there running down his contract

tenor.gif

So he hasn't ruled out joining many teams then

Let's say we offload KWP and Rose as well as Eriksen, then bring in Bergwijn and a striker, plus we got Gedson too, are we not in a bit of trouble over our HG/foreign player quota thing? I confess I don't know enough about this but it seems we are always on the verge of having too many foreign players, or not enough HG players? Anyone understand what the deal is there?

But Erisken was a no win, if levy sold him with 18 months left on his contract then it would be “ why are we a selling club” “selling him under pochs feet” “profit before glory” etc I guess though the deciding factor is whether this extra £20 million goes towards Jose’s transfer fund , any how regardless of the cash I’m glad he is gone, as I don’t think it was good for player morale him being there running down his contract
How many red flags did Eriksen throw up pre season?

"I want to try something new"
"I won't extend my contract"
"I want to play for Madrid, Barca or Bayern" (None of which wanted him)
and the most telling of all
"I wish real life was like Football Manager and you could just pick what team you wanted to play for"

Only an idiot would have thought after 3 months of touting for a move that Eriksen was going to sign a contract.

I wonder who that idiot was? Poch? Levy? Both?

Let's say we offload KWP and Rose as well as Eriksen, then bring in Bergwijn and a striker, plus we got Gedson too, are we not in a bit of trouble over our HG/foreign player quota thing? I confess I don't know enough about this but it seems we are always on the verge of having too many foreign players, or not enough HG players? Anyone understand what the deal is there?
I'd say we'd be in more trouble losing two full backs and not replacing them. Yes, these two are unfancied and on their way out, but an injury to, say, Tanganga and a recurrence to Davies and we are extremely thin on the ground with a defence extremely susceptible to pace.

I'm pretty sure it's 4 HG and 4 club trained HGs required. The club trained we have no issues with the youth team plus then likes of Tanganga rucking up recently. Whiteman, Tanganga, Skipp, Winks, Parrott & Cirkin etc currently cover us on club trained & Dele, Sessegnon & Davies on the other side of things I believe, at least in the PL (Davies not deemed HG in Europe).

Tanganga will probably take Walker-Peters place and Cirkin Rose's. not sure how the age thing works though. When looking at those numbers and the need for more HG players I can see why we are being linked with Eze. He'd help massively.

How many red flags did Eriksen throw up pre season?

"I want to try something new"
"I won't extend my contract"
"I want to play for Madrid, Barca or Bayern" (None of which wanted him)
and the most telling of all
"I wish real life was like Football Manager and you could just pick what team you wanted to play for"

Only an idiot would have thought after 3 months of touting for a move that Eriksen was going to sign a contract.

I wonder who that idiot was? Poch? Levy? Both?
My bets on Poch to be honest.

Ndombele, Clarke, Lo Celso, Sessegnon, Gedson Fernandes, Bergwijn & Piatek in the door initially for perm and loan fees totalling what £130m-£140m if the numbgers are to be believed? (£52m, £10m, £14m, £25m, £4m, £25m, £8m)

Works out as an average of £18m-£20m on all 7 players should we score the last couple before the loans turn permanent. That's great business in times of a rebuild it has to be said.

Touche... Similarly you're not talking to someone that thinks my warbling on a forum stands to have any sway over such matters either.

It does sound like largely you're on a similar page to me though in that you feel we don't have the ideal blend of CMs within our ranks. 1 x DM + 1 x Box-to-box worked for us when we were at our best.... A midfield 3 would require a similar balance of skills (i.e. 1 x DM + 2 x B2B). I don't understand your reservations tbh.
With Ndombele either being unfit or out of the manager’s plans, I’ll naturally have a few reservations, but I don’t stay up at night worrying about it though. I don’t see us regressing for much longer btw, I see a slow, but steady improvement, and that’s ok by me. I’m not that demanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom