Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not sure that Leicester fan is all there, either that or he has a very limited knowledge of the word Aspiration.

It's not the most exciting city to live in, okay?

womanyellingcat-1573233850.jpg

“Good tackler” ?

He averages 0.5 tackles a game. Less than Son who’s the worst tackler in our team. 0.3 interceptions per 90. Also pretty shit.

Having watched him 4/5 times for Holland and PSV including against us, I’d say his work rate without the ball is pretty poor.
That was pretty much wijnaldum of Newcastle before pool

“Good tackler” ?

He averages 0.5 tackles a game. Less than Son who’s the worst tackler in our team. 0.3 interceptions per 90. Also pretty shit.

Having watched him 4/5 times for Holland and PSV including against us, I’d say his work rate without the ball is pretty poor.

He's also just turned 22 years of age a couple of weeks ago so plenty of scope to improve in a Spurs team where he will get rotated a fair old amount. As a 20/21 year old he got 14 goals and 12 assists last season. If he can develop further and enhance his abilities both offensively and defensively I think he could become a very dangerous player.

It's all hear say as we don't know how he'll do but I doubt that there were many 20/21 year olds that contributed double digits in goals and assists last season and if he stayed in Holland he'd probably replicate double digits in both again this season. Already has 10 assists to his name this year in an apparently troubled PSV side. He has room to develop and grow.

Who is this guy and why is everyone so happy to sign him. Is he a striker or a DM or a LB?

I’ve seen him play once. I can’t pronounce his name. I’m not sure what position he plays.

But I can categorically tell you that he’s the best talent in Europe and will help us win the league.

"We should be buying these guys before they prove themselves at Leicester."

Current target linked with Leicester....

"Just not this one..... "

:dempsey:

If a deal hasn't been struck yet than baldy will fuck it.
If there's even an ounce of truth in it even.

If by "fuck it" you mean sign him without negotiation before he's even had a medical then....

Fuck it up, "Baldy".

GLC - 23
Ndombele - 23
Sessegnon - 19
Bergwijn - 22
Clarke - 19
Gedson - 21

Sort of business we should be making. Young, talented and room for development.
Agree. Plus add those to
Winks (23)
Dele (23)
Tanganga (20)
hopefully Foyth (22)

That's not too bad.

I absolutely think that Bergwijn is definitely not what need most right now, but given the potential upside (age/potential/sell-on/Bridge gap if Son loses his speed) he's the kind of player we should be going after. I think this is opportunistic and well worth the punt.

Last edited:
Who is this guy and why is everyone so happy to sign him. Is he a striker or a DM or a LB?
All about what's available. The quality available at centre forward, for example, doesn't look great. We could end up signing another Grzegorz Raziak if we aren't careful.

This guy has a lot of talent and is available for a good price. Prioritising quality over the short term needs of the squad is fine with me.

Agree. Plus add those to
Winks (23)
Dele (23)
Tanganga (20)
hopefully Foyth (22)

That's not too bad.

I absolutely think that Bergwijn is definitely not what need most right now, but given the potential upside (age/potential/sell-on/Bridge gap if Son loses his speed) he's the kind of player they should be going after. I think this is opportunistic and well worth the punt.

Christ. Dele seems to have been around for ages and it's super easy to forget that he's still only 23.

Agree. Plus add those to
Winks (23)
Dele (23)
Tanganga (20)
hopefully Foyth (22)

That's not too bad.

I absolutely think that Bergwijn is definitely not what need most right now, but given the potential upside (age/potential/sell-on/Bridge gap if Son loses his speed) he's the kind of player they should be going after. I think this is opportunistic and well worth the punt.

The reason our squad became weaker is because we didn't sign enough quality in a pro-active way in the past. We tried for Grealish who clearly was earmarked as an Eriksen replacement but we left ourselves short with signing enough quality ready to walk in in too many areas.

Foyth and Sanchez were admirable signings in that sense but they haven't really kicked on, Sessegnon and Clarke shrewd for similar reasons so I've got no issues with us seeing an opportunity in Bergwijn and exploiting it. It shouldn't come at the expense of the needs of first XI TLC though which ultimately keeps you in the chasing pack. A big boy DM next on the agenda for me come the summertime.

Last edited:
The reason our squad became weaker is because we didn't sign enough quality in a pro-active way in the past. We tried for Grealish who clearly was earmarked as an Eriksen replacement but we left ourselves short with signing enough quality ready to walk in in too many areas.

Foyth and Sanchez were admirable signings in that sense but they haven't really kicked on, Sessegnon and Clarke shrewd for similar reasons so I've got no issues with us seeing an opportunity in Bergwijn and exploiting it. It shouldn't come at the expense of the needs of first XI TLC thoughwhich ultimately keeps you in the chasing pack. A big boy DM next on the agenda for me come the summertime.
With a top-notch DM we can start to play again, have control in more games than we have now, it's the most important signing we can make. The way Jose set's up his teams we also need a striker as a focal target.

I think Sanchez, bar a couple of games has been our best and most consistent CB this season, both him and Aurier the only genuine contenders for player of the year so far.

Back
Top Bottom