January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if he is a greasy cunt, I can't help but chuckle at the way he happily rinses millions from United then openly disses their "failed structure".

People like that bloke, who is just a fcuking agent have too much power in terms of football.

In it for one person only. Himself.

The rotten part of society encapsulated right there.

While the necessity for a striker is obvious and those names aren't quite giving me a boner, we need to also consider it might be hard to get a top striker now. Who would you want us to get?

For the record, I think we should have brought someone in by now or at least be close to doing so.

The club and most posters are thick as sh!t.

We needed a striker and a bloody good one when Kane was fit.

It really is not rocket science but maybe to us it simply is.

For sure it is undoing us as much as the lack of a quality DM.

Last edited:

We needed a striker snd a bloody good one when Kane was fit.

And for this reason I hope the proper target is identified and brought in to aid Kane. It's preferable to not be in a position to learn from your mistakes, but since it's already happened we might as well do the right thing from this point on.

Signing smart by understanding big data
English football mocked when Henry and Werner talked enthusiastically about how baseball had been transformed by Billy Beane's Moneyball and a new wave of perplexing stats, and how, in 2004, it helped them end the 86 years without a World Series at the Red Sox.

Most saw them as naïve owners about to be fleeced by an idea that made for a great Hollywood movie but wouldn't fit English football. Liverpool hired Ian Graham, a Cambridge University physics PhD, from Spurs and Michael Edwards, also from Tottenham, just as Gordon took over.

Former sporting director Damien Comolli, who had worked with them, said they were the best in what was then a niche activity. Graham writes his own statistical metrics to outperform rivals.

Edwards applies the analysis to a wider canvas. The headline successes are Philippe Coutinho, signed for £8.5million and sold for £142m — enabling the signings of Virgil van Dijk and Allison — and taking a chance on Chelsea reject Mo Salah for £34m in 2017.

But Graham's favourite signing is Andy Robertson for £8m, who was part of the worst defence in the Premier League at Hull City but is now in UEFA's team of the year. Gordon identified Graham and Edwards's talent, empowered them and promoted them. Graham is director of research and Edwards is sporting director.

Disgusting that we had them both and let them leave.

No qualms with Slimani as a backup striker on a short team deal, will probably succeed in the Llorente 'throw on a lump role'.
Agreed. He's not being brought in to score. He's mainly being brought in to make sure that Son and Lucas end up in positions to score. Which they currently aren't.

But I am unsure on how reliable these rumors are.

Disgusting that we had them both and let them leave.

Sources at Tottenham say that the only discovery Comolli made was that of the left-back Benoît Assou-Ekotto, while they also mock him for electing to pursue the signing of the striker Darren Bent from Charlton Athletic in 2007 rather than follow up the club's initial interest in Fernando Torres, who would join Liverpool from Atlético Madrid that same summer.

While the necessity for a striker is obvious and those names aren't quite giving me a boner, we need to also consider it might be hard to get a top striker now. Who would you want us to get?

Play Parrot.... How bad can he be, FFS?

Slimani: P35 G8 since 2016.
Benteke: P97 G19 since 2016.

We needed a striker snd a bloody good one when Kane was fit.

This old mantra from the media and our own supporters for years that we can't possibly get a striker in because Kane plays every game when fit , so nobody will sit on the bench.

Iheanacho needs to sack his agent as he signed for Leicester where Vardy starts every game, funnily enough Iheanacho gets game time, bit like Origi at Liverpool, he gets game time too.

Agreed. He's not being brought in to score. He's mainly being brought in to make sure that Son and Lucas end up in positions to score. Which they currently aren't.

But I am unsure on how reliable these rumors are.

Just having someone out there playing the striker role might make a difference given how we play right now.

Like I said, we'll probably have to wait until the summer for a longer term solution.

Play Parrot.... How bad can he be FFS.....

Slimani: P35 G8 since 2016.
Benteke: P97 G19 since 2016.

I'd gladly play him. I'm not sure what goes on behind the scenes regarding him, but his situation needs to be clarified. We either play him (unlikely) or at least loan him. He could really use some game time.

Just having someone out there playing the striker role might make a difference given how we play right now.

Like I said, we'll probably have to wait until the summer for a longer term solution.
exactly. Right now we just want to make it through the season. The real rebuild starts in the summer.

And Mourinho teams always have a big, strong central striker who might not be the top scorer in the team, but who creates room for the wingers or AMs to score in. Like he used Costa to create space for Hazard and Willian at Chelsea.

I'd gladly play him. I'm not sure what goes on behind the scenes regarding him, but his situation needs to be clarified. We either play him (unlikely) or at least loan him. He could really use some game time.
Word on the street is that he has had a minor injury and had surgery on it.

Needs to sort out his future before we play him (allegedly); yet obviously a little game-time would be a sweetener. Catch 22 much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom