January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we want to loan a striker only until Harry is back and then when he is back we will continue to play him every game until his body can take no more and he gets a serious injury again. Smart

For the sake of the argument. Slimani is currently on 7 goals and 7 assists in the French league and part of one of Europe's most productive striker duos with Wissam Ben Yedder (who is leading the golden boot race in France). He's rumored to be leaving Monaco because their new manager has been pretty clear about not wanting to use a striker of his profile.

He's not a sexy name but he fits the bill of what Mourinho likes in a central striker. A big, hard working center tank that can cause havoc in the defence and create space for our wingers/attacking midfielders to run into and score. In most Mourinho teams the central striker is just as much a provider as a scorer. Drogba at Chelsea, Milito at Inter, Benzema at Madrid, Costa for the second round at Chelsea. Lukaku at United etc.

It would not be a name that would make me jump out of my chair but it makes sense with how we want to play (we were crying out for someone of that profile yesterday).

But would Leicester agree to bolster us?

So we want to loan a striker until Harry is back and then when he is back we will he will continue to play every game until his body can take no more and he gets a serious injury again. Smart

It should mean we don't see much value in this window when it comes to strikers and we're going to look for a better option in the summer. I'd find it hard to believe we're willing to give Kane all the workload after everything that happened.

I tend not to be much into the whole “no buying former rivals” stuff...

But man, Giroud would be a tough one to swallow

Ex Goon, current Chav.... Basically Gallas in reverse....

Willem De Gallas became a cult fave of mine, but Giroud is prime Woolwich twattery..... How on earth would one warm to him?

So we want to loan a striker only until Harry is back and then when he is back we will continue to play him every game until his body can take no more and he gets a serious injury again. Smart

I'd hope the plan would actually be to loan someone and see what the market offers up on a permanent deal in the summer.

Piatek seems like merely a name to most (anyone that's watched seems to have a pretty unenthusiastic view of him)... Doesn't seem to be anyone else strongly linked atm.

It should mean we don't see much value in this window when it comes to strikers and we're going to look for a better option in the summer. I'd find it hard to believe we're willing to give Kane all the workload after everything that happened.

Jose was the guy who chose to play 3 strikers at Inter. Eto, Milito and Pandev. If you are going to play lump it forward football then it's a good idea to have 3 strikers and it would relieve the pressure and workload on Harry, especially as he will be selected for every game if fit

Jose was the guy who chose to play 3 strikers at Inter. Eto, Milito and Pandev. If you are going to play lump it forward football then it's a good idea to have 3 strikers and it would relieve the pressure and workload on Harry, especially as he will be selected for every game if fit

I think we'll get a better idea of what he wants after the summer window. We currently just seem to be papering over the cracks.

I'd hope the plan would actually be to loan someone and see what the market offers up on a permanent deal in the summer.

Piatek seems like merely a name to most (anyone that's watched seems to have a pretty unenthusiastic view of him)... Doesn't seem to be anyone else strongly linked atm.

I hope we don't wait until the summer to see what is available. We really need to be proactive and have a few names in mind already so we can start doing the groundwork. It is a minefield though because I don't see many standout strikers we can snap up for a reasonable fee. Piatek might just be the best we can hope for.

Raiola explained Haaland’s next club.

“Everyone is speaking about Manchester United but there were 12 clubs interested in him,” the Italian told Sky Sports.

“We had serious talks with everybody. At the end it is the athlete, it is the player that has to have the best feeling and the ultimate decision. We had serious talks with everybody and on the same grounds.

“I don’t understand why in England there is such a buzz about why he has chosen Borussia Dortmund. He is a young player and he has all the time to come to the Premier League in his career and we hope there will be a time.

“He didn’t feel it was the time at this point to move to the Premier League. Borussia Dortmund is a fantastic club and I think the best move for his development at this point.

“It is very difficult for a young boy to stand up in the Premier League. He is not the only young player that does not go the Premier League."

I hope we don't wait until the summer to see what is available.

If we get someone sufficient on loan in the meantime, I don't see the problem in doing so.

We really need to be proactive and have a few names in mind already so we can start doing the groundwork. It is a minefield though because I don't see many standout strikers we can snap up for a reasonable fee. Piatek might just be the best we can hope for.

Summer window presumably means more players available at better value.

Can't say I've seen Piatek play so I wouldn't know if he's the 'answer' for us or not, but strategically I'd hope you can see where I'm coming from.

Raiola explained Haaland’s next club.

“Everyone is speaking about Manchester United but there were 12 clubs interested in him,” the Italian told Sky Sports.

“We had serious talks with everybody. At the end it is the athlete, it is the player that has to have the best feeling and the ultimate decision. We had serious talks with everybody and on the same grounds.

“I don’t understand why in England there is such a buzz about why he has chosen Borussia Dortmund. He is a young player and he has all the time to come to the Premier League in his career and we hope there will be a time.

“He didn’t feel it was the time at this point to move to the Premier League. Borussia Dortmund is a fantastic club and I think the best move for his development at this point.

“It is very difficult for a young boy to stand up in the Premier League. He is not the only young player that does not go the Premier League."

Even if he is a greasy cunt, I can't help but chuckle at the way he happily rinses millions from United then openly disses their "failed structure".

Imagine being the 8th richest team in world football and being linked to loan moves for Slimani and Benteke.

While the necessity for a striker is obvious and those names aren't quite giving me a boner, we need to also consider it might be hard to get a top striker now. Who would you want us to get?

For the record, I think we should have brought someone in by now or at least be close to doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom