January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we prepare to go into another important premier league game without a recognised striker, it sounds more like another window where the spreadsheet trumps the football team..
Looking for that risk free bargain here and there to paper over the cracks.
Tbf, it's probably why we're where we are today if you think about it.
More mindless trolling from the stupid one - but at least it's consistent bollocks. How many signings have there been in the EPL by January 17th?

Woolwich ZERO
Brighton ZERO
Burnley ZERO
Chelsea ZERO
CP 1 loan
Everton 1
Leicester ZERO
Liverpool 1
Man City ZERO
Norwich 1 loan
Sheffield Utd 1
Southampton ZERO
Spurs 1 loan
Watford 2
West Ham 1
Wolves ZERO

Sounds like another window where JT is spouting bollocks, remember last summer when you kept saying we wouldn't sign anybody, silly little boy you just don't learn.

Lets accept all you say about the player is correct.

Then we consider that we can only have 17 overseas trained players at any one time - and under CL definition we already have 17 overseas trained players. We could squeeze in one or two more by NOT registering say Sissoko (injured until April) etc.

Fact is nobody can compete with just 17 players in the squad - we need the HG players, but good Club Trained players are not easy to bring through and nor is it that easy to buy good HG players trained at other English clubs. That's why we have 4 Club trained players (Kane, Winks, Rose, KWP - and you will note the last 2 may leave ) and one player trained by other FA affiliated clubs (Dele, with Sessegnon joining him when over 21).

So we have spare spots in the squad for HG players - but not Overseas Trained Players without cutting corners.

The underlying problem that Spurs have had is signing 'squad filler' level players who are overseas trained players rather than reserving the 17 overseas trained player places for our top players.

So the question becomes - is Vecino a top player or likely to become one ? Or is he another player that is going to be necessary to shift next TW so that we can sign top quality Overseas Trained Players

I fear he's more of a 'squad filler' who we will need to shift to sign top overseas trained players next TW.

And shifting players like Wanyama (or not over 2 or 3 TW's) shows why that's a problem.

Again this non-excuse.
We had no f*cking problem leaving players like Foyth out of CL squad and Janssen out of ... what was it - was it also CL squad I think?
So taking Wanyama out of our both EPL team and CL team is nobrainer. He is not usable anymore.
I cannot understand what is the issue with that? Why do we have to carry him around and make ourselves weaker. Pay off the wages and release him or just keep him on training ground and U23 team. Not perfect, but what can we do??

As we prepare to go into another important premier league game without a recognised striker, it sounds more like another window where the spreadsheet trumps the football team..
It’s never good enough though JT is it......even if we signed Piatek there would be moaning.

And in the summer, when we sign in late August, Levy is still wring for signing late and they had no pre season and don’t know the tactics and the team and it’s a new country and etc et. etc right?

But then January comes and you think a striker signed in Tuesday will play on Saturday and hit the ground running?

Nobody is saying that the squad has to be ready and all signings made by time we meet Watford. The window lasts for January and that’s the time we will have to do our business.

Is a month not good enough now? It has to be the first two weeks for you?
We just signed a CM this week, lets hope he can help us eh.

Judging what he did a United, I wouldn't give him another season. The signings made by him were poor, Bailly, Sanchez and Fred... To name but a few, and he gave big contracts to average players like Lingard, Jones and Young to name but a few The football was poor and results were generally poor and he left the club in a complete mess.

I was all for his appointment but for this season only. I see Mourinho doing for us what Allardyce did for Everton. But next season a new project needs to begin with a progressive manager.

For fuck sake, dude...

Aren't you getting tired of it at some point?!? Why do you always see everything "you against the world"? Why do you have to have such a rigid and extreme viewpoints? This all seem so immature.

"LAMELA IS WORST PLAYER EVER, CAN'T DO ANYTHING RIGHT. WILL BE SOLD THIS WINDOW"
"KWP IS AWESOME PLAYER, GOT MOM NUMBER OF TIMES ALL COACHES ARE SCREWING HIM"
"MOURINHO IS AWFUL COACH, WE SHOULD SACK HIM RIGHT AWAY. HE NEVER GIVES YOUTH CHANCE, HE HAS DONE NOTHING RIGHT IN PAST 10 YEARS".

It is getting annoying beyond my mind. In every single topic you are bitching about Mourinho for shitload of issues. Including youth promoting thing. After he has given EPL and FA cup debute to Tanganga.
And Lamela is still shit and can't do anything right, even after singlehandedly creating winning goal against Boro (yea, not the biggest game of the year, no doubt, but we still needed to win it yaknow).

Maybe open up your eyes and admit that there are some things those that you blindly hate can do something Positive as well (and those who you love can have some issues/problems/flaws).
Like Mourinho getting 2nd place with ManU and winning EL. Two brightest moments of ManU history since retirement of SAF. Or at least considering the fact that KWP has been snubbed by both coaches on permanent basis, maybe there is some reason for that. For how many times have we seen him just being pushed away like he wasn't there?

I am so freakin' tired of this one-dimentional crap.
And this is the last time I'll try to engage with you, after that it is ignore list, next to Sammy and someone else who I (blissfully) don't even remember but without whose posts this forum is much merrier and reasonable place.

If we sign somebody; it is likely they will want a 4 year + contract. If they are proven; they will want 100k+ a week. Once Harry is back, they will get limited game time.

This sums up where the club has gone wrong the past few seasons.
Harry is not superhuman. He may want to play all the time but he shouldn’t.

Of course there are players out there. Our scouts are either shit or we just don’t have the financial muscle to compete.

And we bought Janssen. Failed obviously but there was a plan behind that signing.

City should be the template.
Aguero ia a phenomenal striker. His back up - 86 games and 36 goals.

That’s what we need to be looking at. Not this mantra of use Harry till he breaks then let’s get by with what we have.

And is it about money ? Well in the meantime let’s play KWP 12 times over 3 seasons and spend some money there instead.
Or Foyth - 16 times over 3 seasons. Same timeframe he’s played 9 times for Argentina.

Nonsensical.

The link with Cancelo is interesting, obviously the nationality and the fact that Poch knows Gestifute agency (which top manger doesn't) he's also a Nike boy as well ... City are going to take a bit loss the longer they stick with a player they clearly don't want or need ... 50m for a RB ... frees up Tanganga to play in the middle.

Can't believe Cancelo is only 25 he's certainly moved around ... maybe not such a good sign?

You can't force another team to sell a player or force a player to sign because you have game coming up

The more I think about it, the more I would like to see Timo Werner join us.

Never going to happen in January, and he's probably going to be far too expensive in the summer too. But he seems like the type of player we need. Can play through the middle, or out wide.

Just imagine a front three of Kane, Son and Werner and he can fill in for Kane at times too. It makes sense in my mind, which means it's never going to happen.

The more I think about it, the more I would like to see Timo Werner join us.

Never going to happen in January, and he's probably going to be far too expensive in the summer too. But he seems like the type of player we need. Can play through the middle, or out wide.

Just imagine a front three of Kane, Son and Werner and he can fill in for Kane at times too. It makes sense in my mind, which means it's never going to happen.
He has a reasonable release clause I think, it would literally just be about convincing the player.

Box to box but can play deep in a system.

He isn't a great but I do think he's probably better than Dier and if he's just to come in as part of a deal, add depth to central midfield (which is needed) until atleast the summer. So be it.
I saw that someone called him the Uruguayan Stambouli, is that accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom