Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Keeping it to less than 3 was probably the tactic - limit any possible damage and then attack in the final phase. With our current frailties, we’re not going to outplay a comfortable, confident and thoroughly-oiled machine - Jose’s being pragmatic - and it almost worked!
We had to put two past them, they've conceded NONE in the last TEN games. They could have scored another 3 or 4 in the first half!

Why stary with Eriksen if you plan is to play without the ball? Would you say Gio was a better player without the ball then Eriksen?

Said in the match thread, I don’t think Jose got a lot wrong. He could have brought Lamela and Lo Celso on a bit earlier but they’re probably not ready for 90 minutes and they had a good impact when they did arrive. We fought hard all game and showed some character in very difficult circumstances. We have to back him.

Do you think we’d have got something from today with Poch and the same injuries and the same dramatic and continued loss of form? He’d have had the same players, but trying to play through the non-midfield, with Aurier and Rose pushing up, leaving massive gaps behind. We’re dealing with hypotheticals and what-ifs but, for me, I don’t recall seeing it from a similar situation, and I think we’d have been too open. We may have scored, but we’d have been on the wrong end of a big hiding.

Like I said - I loved him and what he did- and would still be 100%behind him if he were , but today was like a breath of fresh air watching a manager set up to counter the opposition’s tactics. Jose is building a battling mentality that will be needed to push on from here - more like Simeone,

I have optimism for silverware in the next couple of years, if not the most exciting football.
However, only time will tell - but I wasn’t expecting a spanking today and expected something similar to what we had so I’m hopeful.
I don't know mate.

But I am worried about the direction of the club. The worry is linked to the style of football that we will play under Jose. It's not about Poch (although I do think we should have stuck with him and backed him). BUT there was always an argument to replace him, I totally get that but we could have gone with a manager that could continue and evolve us further. I've listed a bunch of managers that we could have gone for in the previous post. As every game goes by I don't get what we are, we don't have an identity. (I enjoyed how we played in the second half, I think Jose got it all wrong in the first for playing Eriksen in a game where he wanted us to sit deep and park the bus, badly.

We had to put two past them, they've conceded NONE in the last TEN games. They could have scored another 3 or 4 in the first half!

Why stary with Eriksen if you plan is to play without the ball? Would you say Gio was a better player without the ball then Eriksen?
With hindsight, of course, but with six years of watching Eriksen, we know what he’s capable of and with a game-plan to play on the counter, a decent through-ball to Sonny or Moura and it’s a different game. Whoever is in that role is a luxury against a pressing, energetic, team - but it nearly went to half-time at 0-0, which definitely was the game plan (or a sneaky 1-0).

I know that they’re ugly old-school Italian tactics, but it’s what will see Liverpool knocked out CL, no doubt / hopefully.
Besides which, I think we’re forgetting that no-one else has beaten them for a very long time (not sure how long -perhaps the papers might mention it soon?) so we did a lot better than those teams that have been having their arses handed to them.

I think you may be forgetting what an abysmal year we’ve had in the league! At least it looked like we had a plan? You clearly didn’t like it, but it was there.

Tactics today were fantastic, you can see just how great he is as a manager.

Sadly, players that simply aren't good enough letting him down massively, he needs backing in the market but we all know that's not going to happen.

Thing is it wasn't the alleged low quality players that cost us today.... It was under-performers that arguably shouldn't have started; so as much as Jose got his tactics right, he shot us in the foot by playing want-away Rose, Eriksen and Dele's brother.

I don't know mate.

But I am worried about the direction of the club. The worry is linked to the style of football that we will play under Jose. It's not about Poch (although I do think we should have stuck with him and backed him). BUT there was always an argument to replace him, I totally get that but we could have gone with a manager that could continue and evolve us further. I've listed a bunch of managers that we could have gone for in the previous post. As every game goes by I don't get what we are, we don't have an identity. (I enjoyed how we played in the second half, I think Jose got it all wrong in the first for playing Eriksen in a game where he wanted us to sit deep and park the bus, badly.
I agree about Eriksen entirely - I’ve stated elsewhere what he offers but he (and maybe Rose and Jan) are clearly destabilising the team somehow. Today, we were better than the last few games, maybe because we had to make changes - having no option of Eriksen will mean that there’s got to be a work around - GLC / Lamela - whoever.
Maybe it’s a bit like with Bale when everyone waited on him to pull us out of the shit every game - and probably a bit of hopefulness from Jose and the rest of the team that he can pull out a top-drawer performance again? I don’t know. I do know that GLC looks better, but maybe holds the ball too long and doesn’t have the quick one-touch passing that Eriksen can do?

for all the GLC lovers, I can’t explain it, and I can’t explain Dele as a passenger - but we looked better and I like to cling on to any positive I can find!!

With hindsight, of course, but with six years of watching Eriksen, we know what he’s capable of and with a game-plan to play on the counter, a decent through-ball to Sonny or Moura and it’s a different game. Whoever is in that role is a luxury against a pressing, energetic, team - but it nearly went to half-time at 0-0, which definitely was the game plan (or a sneaky 1-0).

I know that they’re ugly old-school Italian tactics, but it’s what will see Liverpool knocked out CL, no doubt / hopefully.
Besides which, I think we’re forgetting that no-one else has beaten them for a very long time (not sure how long -perhaps the papers might mention it soon?) so we did a lot better than those teams that have been having their arses handed to them.

I think you may be forgetting what an abysmal year we’ve had in the league! At least it looked like we had a plan? You clearly didn’t like it, but it was there.
We could have also just as easily gone in at half time 3 or 4 nil down too.

I've been one of Eriksen's biggest fans but he shouldn't be playing if he's not going to be here. I completely understand Lamela not being up to match fitness but I simply do not get the logic at all by not selecting Lo Celso. He's got energy, can press and tackle, I've got no history on Gio the player, never seen him play before he rocked up here but everything I've seen from him shows he's better/more effective without the ball than Eriksen, so if your plan is not to have it why play Eriksen over him???

I've been one of Eriksen's biggest fans but he shouldn't be playing if he's not going to be here. I completely understand Lamela not being up to match fitness but I simply do not get the logic at all by not selecting Lo Celso. He's got energy, can press and tackle, I've got no history on Gio the player, never seen him play before he rocked up here but everything I've seen from him shows he's better/more effective without the ball than Eriksen, so if your plan is not to have it why play Eriksen over him???
I really hope that will be the case from here on in! Lo Celso has show he’s not scared to get stuck in - he and N’Dombele could be pretty impressive. What’s GLC’s long-range passing like? I don’t really recall having seen much?

This. Erikssen has no right starting ahead of either GLC or N’Dombele. CE offered us nothing today in either defence or attack...

I agree about Eriksen entirely - I’ve stated elsewhere what he offers but he (and maybe Rose and Jan) are clearly destabilising the team somehow. Today, we were better than the last few games, maybe because we had to make changes - having no option of Eriksen will mean that there’s got to be a work around - GLC / Lamela - whoever.
Maybe it’s a bit like with Bale when everyone waited on him to pull us out of the shit every game - and probably a bit of hopefulness from Jose and the rest of the team that he can pull out a top-drawer performance again? I don’t know. I do know that GLC looks better, but maybe holds the ball too long and doesn’t have the quick one-touch passing that Eriksen can do?

for all the GLC lovers, I can’t explain it, and I can’t explain Dele as a passenger - but we looked better and I like to cling on to any positive I can find!!
I really liked how we played in the 2nd half, even before the double sub.

I hope this shows Jose we play better when not camped on the edge of our box. This doesn't mean we play open, we have the experience of playing an ugly mid-block and think we have to do this rather than sitting deep. Dele was busier than Son and Lucas first half it had nothing to do with individual performances but everything to do with sitting way too deep making it almost impossible to get anything thing out of the meanest defence in the league.

I really liked how we played in the 2nd half, even before the double sub.

I hope this shows Jose we play better when not camped on the edge of our box. This doesn't mean we play open, we have the experience of playing an ugly mid-block and think we have to do this rather than sitting deep. Dele was busier than Son and Lucas first half it had nothing to do with individual performances but everything to do with sitting way too deep making it almost impossible to get anything thing out of the meanest defence in the league.
I like the thinking. Hopeful it was an extraordinary tactic against an exceptional opponent. Might see similar against City, but I’m hopeful we’ll have the second-half team (post-sub), against Boro’.

but what do I know?

I love the notion that a team that amassed 25 points from 24 games a priority should be style play and that this should be evident with any manager with this group at this time with everything that has transpired before. We have had relegation form in the league for majority of 2019 and people honestly believe that this will be reversed in a matter of weeks with a team that was 14 th in the league, riddled with injuries and whose new signings have had zero impact on the first team? You have to extortionately naive to expect that.

Redknapp stunk the place out for his first 6 months here - it wasn’t until the Hull game that things turned. That’s what happens when you inherit a team that has completely collapsed like that. The football the following season compared to his first season was a complete contrast - it was the same manager so why was their a difference? Why were Liverpool beaten regularly by mediocre sides in Klopps first few seasons but are unbeaten in the league now? Is he that much of a better manager than he is was in previous seasons - really, how so?

The club is clearly going through a transitional cycle - the elite team we had has been broken up/matured and as result this is the typical outcome . Poch had it at its height and won nothing with it and got quickly found out when he didn’t have such a team anymore. The time to judge Jose is next season when he has a window and preseason behind him not when walks into such a mess. The talk of style of play is quite frankly embarrassing given the circumstance

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom