Man Utd (A)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I got a red 2 days after the Borodin55 Borodin55 initiative.

I did nothing my friend. It was all down to a group of members who decided to stop exchanging insults, threats and foul language and concentrate on the real reason we are all here ...Tottenham Hotspur Football Club.

It's been such a pleasant change to see the various threads contain genuine friendly debate rather than be littered with unnecessary and page consuming vitriolic crap. I used to hate sifting through pages of bile in order to read one interesting posting.

So much nicer to see friendly jibes and the odd piss take being received in the manner in which they are given rather than being pounced on as inflammatory and answered with semi moronic outpourings.
The amount of automatic 'disagrees' seems to have also declined which is great to see.

I just hope that the old days of mindless personal attacks are now behind everybody and the 'feuds' are ended. It's all a question of choice and within the control of those members who were directly involved in them.

Should the forum return to it's former ways then I feel that would be an unfortunate decision and have a negative effect on would be new members. The solution for me however, would be simple. I don't enjoy reading such dross and I don't have to.

Lucas is the Defoe of wingers. Pretty good squad player, many times invisible, some times world class. But not an undisputed starter

Reminds of the days when you used Defoe as a sub and he would come from the bench and score a couple, oozing quality throughout. Then the following game you played him as a starter and he would go on and do fuck all.

If we're going to play Aurier right back we need a midfield three. One to help cover the back line, another the play the role connecting the defence to attack, and then one to deliver the passes.

Dier
Ndombele - Lo Celso
That'd be my ideal 3. Dier is a good enforcer, whilst Ndombele is capable of getting up and down, with Lo Celso providing the creativity. Then you have Winks capable of coming in for Ndombele when needed and either Eriksen or Lamela for Lo Celso. Sissoko can be used in a few positions.

Still think we need another CDM. As for the front line, Lucas isn't reliable. Front 3 of Son, Dele and Kane with options of Lucas and Sessengon from the bench.

I’d be keen to see Skipp given a chance at CDM. 30 minutes, if we’re comfortable. Think he could surprise a few people.

Those who predicted an ugly game were certainly right. Rashford was the best player on the pitch, he looked incredible. Outside of that, it was a pretty sloppy affair.

We punted it upfield countless times which I know has worked for us, but the long balls were not accurate at all. I thought we did OK once we had the ball in the final third, I know it doesn't feel that way but that's because Aurier's crossing last night was poor (which to be fair he's been good in that department lately). If he hits some better crosses I think we all feel a lot better about our attacking output, he was in good positions to do so too, just didn't execute.

I know the 3-2-5 (or some variation of it) has been our favored formation with Jose but I really need to wonder why we wanted to do that with Rashford playing on the left. Aurier was told to bomb up and Sissoko, and then a back tracking Aurier, were given the task of covering Rashford. That was never going to work. I would have though the pragmatic Jose would have adjusted to that at minimum.

Obviously our midfield was run ragged all game. Winks is getting dogged and I think a bit unfairly so. With Sissoko covering the RB role for Aurier, Winks was left with literally everything else in front of the defense and I think it's fair to say even world class DMs would not be able to manage that.

I think a draw would have been a fair result. The penalty was questionable but was never going to be overturned because there was contact and Gazza bumbled a save that a PL keeper should make.

I am just surprised that was the plan Mourinho put together because it seemed to me like it was never going to work on paper, let alone on the pitch.

Ugly, ugly game though that neither side should be proud of. Only moment of brilliance was Dele's wonderful goal.

Jose is caught between going to a 4-3-3 and playing Dele out of position out wide or playing a 4-2-3-1 and hoping we can outscore out defense.

Or he can just play Ndombele and Lo Celso in the middle since they can actually fucking pass, retain possession, or at worst draw fouls.

Defoe was a one trick pony, but what a trick that was... Still, he was better for us as in impact sub.

That was the dichotomy of Defoe at Spurs though.... Best suited to being an impact sub; yet resented being one and before too long would agitate in the press if he found himself in such a position.

That was a very strange way of going about things by Mourinho. I suggested before the game in here that the only real threat from Utd was on the counter from people like Rashford, so it might be a good idea to have a 433 - meaning you have a lateral L8 to help the RB - and also play Rose for this one, with his pace to counter James on the other side.

I quite like what Mourinho has been doing with the lop sided - Aurier - pushed up in a back three with the ball and back four without - with the pace of Sanchez, using him as a kind of CB/RB hybrid. But against a very left biased ManU team, this was exposed somewhat.

n0Z3c4Z.png

See the balance to their shape and massive imbalance to ours. 47% of Utd's attack came down our right.

I'm not sure whether it was Mourinho's plan for Sissoko to get constantly dragged out there, or if it was as a result of Moura once again - as in the Olympiacos game - just not tracking back and helping his RB out enough.

Either way the result was the same, as the above shows clearly, Winks was left completely isolated in the middle, creating Utd overloads in other areas and the first 60 minutes was one of the few times this season (certainly against a top 8 club) I've seen Utd's midfield actually dominate and a Utd team have more possession. Even shit teams have had more possession than Utd in most of the games I've watched under Solskjaer.

Add to this the omnipresent inability of Sissoko to offer himself (to CB's or in midfield game play - there's a great example of this around the 36 min mark when Aurier is hemmed in while Sissoko and Moura stand around watching) on the occasions when we were trying to build anything, and we just couldn't play much football for the first hour. It was only the fact that Utd aren't really a team designed to have possession, and actually aren't very good, that prevented them from being even more dominant.

I was disappointed Mourinho didn't react and change anything until the hour mark. The change he did make did make a difference, Eriksen seeing more ball and making more passes in 26 minutes than Moura had in 64. Which in turn meant Utd were now unable to dominate so comfortably. This was further enhanced in the 70th minute when Ndombele cameo in and again, oh too briefly when Lo Celso made his late cameo. The last 20 minutes was more like how this game should have looked for much more of it if Mourinho hadn't selected the wrong personnel and shape from the get go. We went from 48% of the ball in the first 64 minutes to 71% in the last 30. And this wasn't just about them scoring a second and shelling. From the 46-64 minutes they still had 51% and were exceedingly comfortable, because we simply weren't capable of playing any football during the first hour because of the personnel out their being unable to plays under Utd's pretty ordinary press.

Just by swapping two players - Moura and Sissoko - who are terrible at receiving and recycling the ball with any wit, for two who are better at it meant our ability to play football literally increased by about 80%.

Sissoko getting dragged out right was not all his fault, and when he did, for the most part he did a decent job of helping, but once again he's cost us a goal, as he has in both the last two PL games (West Ham and Bournemouth) with clumsy/poor defending. And for the first goal, both he and Aurier are caught napping and letting Rashford run off them. If Mourinho doesn't wise the fuck up where Sissoko's concerned and see past the willing but unable torso, he's going to pay the same price as Pochettino did.

I can make a case fore Winks doing a kind of 6/8 (think poor mans Kovacic maybe) lateral job in a CM3, but I really would love to see - as others have said - a CM3 with Ndombele and Lo Celso as the lateral 8's with Skipp tried as the central 6.

I'm not holding my breath through, Mourinho had the perfect ingredients for a very good 433 at Utd, but very often preferred to shoehorn them into 4231's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom