Man Utd (A)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

One thing that annoys me about managers is they find one way to win and stick with it for the most part.

Jose’s tactics haven’t changed dramatically since his Chelsea days and so he comes here with a way of deploying a team. In order to get that team to play his way he needs time. Great, but why can’t some managers see what they have at their disposal and build a team out of the pieces. Instead of coming with a blueprint and fitting people into their spots, build your plan out of the pieces.

For me, looking at what we have now, we are far too thin In defensive prowess to play two CMs. Looking at our squad I only see one way of holing the tide while providing guile going forward.

Play a a 4-3-3 and use possession as our weapon. Stop with this counter attacking shit and get back to making the other team run. Win the ball back quickly. Impose your will.

With a CM2 we are far too light in the middle of the park and have players that can’t dictate play from that position. Time to make the shift and I hope Jose does it soon.

Last edited:
Let's hope the manager has learnt from this game. The bitter taste of defeat and the manner in which it came will hopefully cause him to reflect and reconsider.

His team selection for Saturday's match will show just what effect tonight's performance has had on his thinking. It's early days but he needs to come up with a winning combination ...and soon.

January looms ever nearer and the list of "ins and outs" needs to be compiled quickly.

That really was one of the worst Manchester United teams I have ever seen on a pitch and we just lay down and rolled over. The 'humble one' needs to now show his mettle.
They are shite but acted like Man Utd of old, we are better than them but acted like Spurs of old....Joe has some work to do, this will no doubt be his hardest managerial job to date, i don’t doubt him as a manager, how can anyone with his track record, so it’s over to Levy now to show him the coin that’s required to improve on certain players, some losses on stupid transfers has to be accepted by Levy during the cull, it’s the only way.

This is why I have faith. None of the “I’m very proud we played well bollox” Jose will sort out this mess he just needs time

Yet again... we lost against "The Name" and not the team...
We've lost to truly terrible ArseAnal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd teams in years gone by... teams who were well past their best, yet still seemed to turn it on against us!
...we STILL have an inferiority complex against 'Big Name clubs' that seems to forget WE are a 'name' too....

It's a mentality problem that I thought/hoped Jose would be able to address....
Give him time

Pissed up. Pissed off
Quick shout out to the travelling Spurs fans who sounded fucking amazing from where I was sat across from you. There were a few of us dotted round the Alex Ferguson stand and two of the funniest lads sat behind us.
That said, we were fucking dung tonight.
Rashford absolutely terrorised our defence all game.
Awful united side. Definitely there for the taking. We fluffed our lines horribly.
Norman Whiteside is post match entertainment . And he’s absolutely fucking hammered.
Hope you got back ok. What a wasted journey.

Early dart for work this morning and still annoyed. I thought we might at the very least display some urgency but it was so turgid. Kane had the touch of midwife all match. Surprised that son didnt switch to attack ashley young. The fundamental issue we have is that without ndombele we have no composure in midfield, no one to ball carry, and no one to play penetrating passes forward. Winks is happy to play is sideways and backwards and he cant tackle. Sissoko is a determined runner but can't pass or really tackle.

Dembele so sorely missed. He was our last proper big game player for me. I think the only positive has been the rebirth of alli. Great goal. No excuse now to not start ndombele vs Burnley. Another shit team on paper who most recently have made us look bang average. Last season at their shit hole prime example.

And as we don't seem capable of conceding fewer than twice per game we will have to score more than them. Hoping Jose goes fucking berserk at them until then.

Finally, I've said it before but Kane isn't a captain. He goes missing far too often in games to do that. He also showed absolutely zero passion yesterday. Very very poor.

We beat ajax when they were massive favourites to progress. Same as man city. Cannot fucking remember a time since we beat man city away needing to qualify for the cl under Harry that we stepped up when it really mattered and when the pressure was really on. Even last season vs utd at old Trafford we should have been 3 or 4 down by half time. Really hope Jose can clean some timepieces and improve our psychological.

Just going to add one more thing.

Despite us being utterly dollop and deserving nothing where the fuck have they pulled 4 minutes of injury time from?
It was 2 and a half minutes just for the penalty decision and delay, add in 6 subs, Lindgard going down with cramp, the ref making a big show of running over to Young to tell him off for time wasting, and De Gea wasting time on every goal kick.

As I said we deserved nothing, but I'm sick of this bullshit time keeping. Should have been 6-7 minutes at least
Football needs to change to effective playing time. Start and stop the fucking clock. And play 2x30. Everyone knows when the game ends. Not just the bent referee

Haven't watched Sanchez play for Columbia. Is he as clumsy for them? He is quick but he seems to always be caught on the wrong foot and is not able to pass.

Not sure I buy the comments of 'worst united team ever'. They played well. Executed a plan, moved the ball quickly and caught us out. The final 15 mins they wound the clock down perfectly; keep the ball out of play and slowing all our attacks.

No one's above criticism, mate. He didn't even look like he was there for most of this game. We are not talking about superman here. Harry is a great footballer, but not every game.
You can only play well when you get the ball given to you. He wasnt getting the ball, and was forced to drop back to get it.
I'm not a stats freak, so I cant bore you with numbers but my recollection was of him playing telling passes and out performing the players in midfield - who are there to provide him with the ball so he can create goalscoring opportunities.
I have no problem judging him by his failures to convert scoreable chances, but I'm not going to knock the guy if the rest of the team cant carve them out for him.
To criticise his performance because he didn't go and get the ball for himself , evade their midfield and their defence and then beat their keeper makes no sense at all.
I posted that comment after he won the ball in midfield and then played a great pass to a team mate inviting that player to score, something that he would have liked for himself.

And if we were in that position with key players out we lose like 5-0 this has been a problem for years we can never take advantage, easiest time ever to beat United and we made them look like world beaters.
Well I think the key players are kept on the bench so I actually think we'd won .

Back
Top Bottom