Man Utd (A)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't get the cocky thing

We just have 6 or 7 unbelievably average to shit players that invariably play each week as we have nothing better apparently

We just have 6 or 7 unbelievably average to shit players that invariably play each week as we have nothing better apparently

Firstly, you can't be "unbelievably average", it's a contradiction in terms.

Secondly, we dont have a single "unbelievably shit" player.

Thirdly, did you think any of this this for a single second before August?

Having watch Spurs over the last few weeks; I expect the tactics by United will be as follows

1. Close down Toby. Don't allow him time on the ball to pass from the back. Try to force the center backs to play side ways to the full backs; keeping them from moving forward.

2. I expect a high press from united to panic our midfield. Dier/Winks (or ndombele) closed down quickly.

3. Don't let Dele be an option. Crowd him out and cut off the passing lanes.

4. Man mark Kane, force him to drop deep to get the ball.

5. With the marking of Kane and Dele; it's likely that Son will have a lot more time on the ball. Full backs to not allow him to cut inside. Force him down the wing.

I think the game will boil down to how capable (and fit) United players are at pressing our defence. If we are allowed to play the ball out and structure our attack; we should win this one. Mourinho will know their players and be well aware of their weaknesses and it will be down to the ability of our lads to execute his plan.

Well, it seems Ole' read my write up.

1. Toby was closed down when he had the ball. Sanchez was not. He was allowed time to make his (poor) pass.

2. They pressed our midfield. Didn't allow Winks or Sissoko any time to pick out a pass.

3 & 4. Kane and Dele were followed like hawks. For me, Kane made very little effort to battle for the ball; instead chosing to stand behind the defenders hoping they would make a mistake.

5. Yep, Son was forced out wide. Everytime he tried to cut inside 2 or 3 players blocked him and forced him the play the ball back out wide.

So, how did Spurs do?

1st goal was a typical player error. Poor defensive touch from Sanchez. Aurier out of position and Gazza with a weak hand; beaten at his near post.

The Penalty was weak; but a penalty all the same. Should Sissoko be defending in those positions? Aurier/Sachez should have been there.

For me, Kane needs a fire lit under him. He continues to put in world class performances for England; and then plods around for Spurs expecting to be gifted goals. He needs to work a lot harder when he is not getting good service.

We still take too many touches of the ball. Jan, Toby, Sanchez, Son ALL take 4 or 5 touches before they even look for a pass.

And yet before the game, people were hailing Mourinho for playing Sissoko in his "natural position" (presumably forgetting all the times that Pochettino played him in the exact same position).

I remember when, just after signing him, people were howling for him to be played on the right wing, as he had played for France in Euro 2016. Then, when he failed appalingly for us there, it was all "play him in the centre, his natural position!". Which is where he's played for us ever since, apart from various (fairly decent) stand-in stints at right back.

Cards on the table, I thought he was useless for us at first. I thought Newcastle had seen us coming and so on and so forth. Then, he grew into his role, and like most, I warmed to him hugely.

I think, as in most things, the middle ground might be best. He's not good enough for a first team with pretensions such as ours. He's a fine and versatile stand-in but shouldn't be starting for a team with greater goals.

Face it, his wonderful golazo on Saturday was out of character. He doesn't score when he wants

For the record, as someone who probably watched about 100+ of Sissoko’s games at Toulouse, his natural position was never CM. Certainly not in CM2’s.

And Pardew always played him as a WRF or L8 in a 433.

This is a bullshit myth spread by people who never watched him before he got to us.

Ugh just watched the match there, very frustrating. There was one team up for it and one team that wasn’t. Two very silly goals to give away. Lloris would have saved that shot and a decent RB would have been there to cover for Sissoko. Very average performance played by very good players.

Im not sure what the starting 11 is but I don’t want to see Moura. I say it time and time again, he is the definition of an impact sub. Winks played with energy but you can’t play a combination of Winks, Dier and/or Sissoko. They’re defensive minded players but none of them are great DM. Our attack is our best defence right now and I think we have to be more attack minded. Playing more in the opposition half and keeping possession will hopefully play dividends. I think Eriksen might start to come into the fold. He’s the only one of our central midfielders who can control a game. Also while Aurier is playing better attacking he doesn’t want to get back. I saw him on two occasions just saunter back into position. Sissoko was running his ass off to get back. Jeez if Sissoko has a few goals in him and a good through pass, he would have been a hell of a player.

Lets not get too down and let’s just move on.

Son should have attacked on the left side when Rashford gatecrashed on the opposite side. But he did nothing. Thats why we lost our balance.

Its the best way to buy another brilliant winger.

Son should have attacked on the left side when Rashford gatecrashed on the opposite side. But he did nothing. Thats why we lost our balance.

Its the best way to buy another brilliant winger.

What a load of confused, try-hard bullshit.

Ugh just watched the match there, very frustrating. There was one team up for it and one team that wasn’t. Two very silly goals to give away. Lloris would have saved that shot and a decent RB would have been there to cover for Sissoko. Very average performance played by very good players.

Im not sure what the starting 11 is but I don’t want to see Moura. I say it time and time again, he is the definition of an impact sub. Winks played with energy but you can’t play a combination of Winks, Dier and/or Sissoko. They’re defensive minded players but none of them are great DM. Our attack is our best defence right now and I think we have to be more attack minded. Playing more in the opposition half and keeping possession will hopefully play dividends. I think Eriksen might start to come into the fold. He’s the only one of our central midfielders who can control a game. Also while Aurier is playing better attacking he doesn’t want to get back. I saw him on two occasions just saunter back into position. Sissoko was running his ass off to get back. Jeez if Sissoko has a few goals in him and a good through pass, he would have been a hell of a player.

Lets not get too down and let’s just move on.

I agree, though I worry keeping possession is still a bit of an ask.... Plus, anything too pensive will give the oppo too much time to re-set.

The more I think about it, the more I'm tempted by the prospect of the following against those bus parking Burnley fuckers at the weekend:

GLC / Foyth / Ndombele
Son / Kane / Dele​

"We'll score more than you"-ball. Big ask of JM, mind....

Come on, you fat clown. I will clean your grotty bathroom with your fucking head.

Fuck off or I'll wipe my arse with your FACE

giphy.gif

I agree, though I worry keeping possession is still a bit of an ask.... Plus, anything too pensive will give the oppo too much time to re-set.

The more I think about it, the more I'm tempted by the prospect of the following against those bus parking Burnley fuckers at the weekend:

GLC / Foyth / Ndombele
Son / Kane / Dele​

"We'll score more than you"-ball. Big ask of JM, mind....

I like Foyth as a DM. An in form Dier would be great, too.

Let's hope the manager has learnt from this game. The bitter taste of defeat and the manner in which it came will hopefully cause him to reflect and reconsider.

His team selection for Saturday's match will show just what effect tonight's performance has had on his thinking. It's early days but he needs to come up with a winning combination ...and soon.

January looms ever nearer and the list of "ins and outs" needs to be compiled quickly.

That really was one of the worst Manchester United teams I have ever seen on a pitch and we just lay down and rolled over. The 'humble one' needs to now show his mettle.

Back
Top Bottom