Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No it really isn't. Could be said of Klopp perhaps granted but with Liverpool and with BVB there was talk about stadiums, supporters and their respective cultures. Even with Pep there is talk about the depth of their squad, how they play, their academy and their stars.
Wasn't it about how Poch is a great manager but just couldn't win the big one? Wasn't it about Klopp when his BvB meltdown happened? Wasn't it about Sherwood and AvB being so fucking shit all the time? It's always about the manager, it's just that Mourinho has that aura that just attracts the media because he is so controversial. If he would've gone to manage Newcastle, he still would be the centre of attention.

My dislike is genuine too, not a football rivalry thing where you grow to hate, look for things. I've felt this way when he was at Madrid, Utd and Inter.
Yep, you have to respect his professional achievements, his success has been phenomenal, but as a human being? Nah, not for me. It is possible to hold both opinions simultaneously.

I think both Pep and Klopp will be off at the end of their current contracts. Pep 100% and Klopp will go before the end of his recently renewed deal.

Just look at the average age of Liverpool's squad, many of their star players approach 30yrs old and guess what they did a Spurs and signed no one. And just like Poch, Klopp is an emotional manager (Pep too), relentless on his players, so after a few years, this will have it's toll if you can't renew.
I don’t know, apparently our players turned on Poch and his training regime because he fell short of making the final step and delivering trophies. Klopp has won UCL and will probably win the title this season (after 3 bloody decades) so I think their players will have a higher degree of trust in their manager that he knows what he’s doing.

Here's a good video for the Mourinho moaners

They make some great points and will give you a real insight into what the man is really like.

I get that some people want to paint him as some sort of toxic journeyman but the reality is, players want to play for him and like he said in the video, the guy might be harsh but when he does praise you he makes you feel 9ft tall.

For the first time in a long time I am excited about watching us play again, I have been watching match previews, not just of Jose but old matches, I feel like there was such a malayse around the club for a while and that whilst we weren't terrible, many of us felt like we had hit our peak under Poch after that CL final.

I think the players felt it as well, I love Poch, I still think he is a great man and I am forever grateful for what he has done for this club but I just think things came to a natural end, I don't think he as a manager was capable of more or capable of getting more out of this team.

It's time for us all to move on and believe that we are now at the start of something special, I certainly feel like I have my passion back, I can't wait for kick off tomorrow. COYS.

There is no such thing as a good video of football analysis featuring Danny Mills & Carlton Cole.

:pochcmon:

There is no such thing as a good video of football analysis featuring Danny Mills & Carlton Cole.

:pochcmon:
Because you disagree with it.

I can't take you serious after your "well known facts" post which was 90% subjective bollocks driven by your emotional dislike for Mourinho.

Most of the "facts" you presented against him are easy to refute, as a matter of fact, half of your post is refuted in that video alone, but you will never listen because, just like with everything else when you argue, it's so deeply slanted by bias it can never be taken serious.

Yep, you have to respect his professional achievements, his success has been phenomenal, but as a human being? Nah, not for me. It is possible to hold both opinions simultaneously.

Fair to say Joe that it's your 'perception' of him as a human being, my guess is like 99% of us you've never met him or anyone who really knows him. Over the years I've met dozens of 'famous' people hardly any of them have been much like their media personas ... only the truly genuine ones were the same both in and out of the media, and that was before today's 'fake' media bullshit, to me media Jose is a caricature not the real man.

From an outsider looking in Jose comes across as an egotistical narcissist, but that simply doesn't square at all with the fact that nearly all his previous bosses, his teammates, his players and his staff speak very highly off him - my guess is that what you see on TV is not the 'real' Jose at all ... but having never met the man what do we know?

Not even talking about winning stuff (AVB had also won things) just what I had to watch. The two played the same football, as dose Karanka another of his proteges.

AVB's football was nothing like Mourinho's. AVB's was generally about possession, high line and pressing - you might remember how he came unstuck at Chelsea trying to play this with ageing CB's like Terry and had to adjust.

AVB's basic philosophy was much closer to Pochettino's than Mourinho's. Mourinho is much more pragmatic. It's not a "possession" based ethos, or high line, like AVB's or Poch's was.

AVB gets tarred with that boring mantra, but just look at Klopp these last couple of years, there's very little heavy metal, gagenpressing, it's much more pragmatic, safety biased football, embossed with a blistering front 3 and flying set of FB's. Nothing AVB churned out was as fucking turgid as the pile of wank Pochettino's being churning out for the last couple of years and Poch had a much better squad. Imagine what Poch or Klopp's football would look like with the wanky squad AVB was left with after we sold Bale and Modric.

I don’t know, apparently our players turned on Poch and his training regime because he fell short of making the final step and delivering trophies. Klopp has won UCL and will probably win the title this season (after 3 bloody decades) so I think their players will have a higher degree of trust in their manager that he knows what he’s doing.
I don't think it's about turning on the manager, the players at Dortmund had won stuff with him, but in his final season, they tanked and spent practically the entire season in and around the relegation zone (the newer players hadn't won anything but like us were close being runners up and getting to semis etc).

When you are asked to buy into something and then commit to it with everything you have, training like a dog etc there is only so much that you are left to give, whether you win or lose it's the same. (There are other dynamics with a team as it's made up with people from different age groups and different stages of their careers), but for sure it's easier to get up and repeat if you got over the line.

Fair to say Joe that it's your 'perception' of him as a human being, my guess is like 99% of us you've never met him or anyone who really knows him. Over the years I've met dozens of 'famous' people hardly any of them have been much like their media personas ... only the truly genuine ones were the same both in and out of the media, and that was before today's 'fake' media bullshit, to me media Jose is a caricature not the real man.

From an outsider looking in Jose comes across as an egotistical narcissist, but that simply doesn't square at all with the fact that nearly all his previous bosses, his teammates, his players and his staff speak very highly off him - my guess is that what you see on TV is not the 'real' Jose at all ... but having never met the man what do we know?

Exactly, a manager wouldn't have won 25 trophies with multiple different teams and varieties of players if he was a shit man manager, just doesn't happen.

People keep saying "he throws his players under the bus" what? Because of United? Is this the same United he finished 2nd with and won two trophies?

The people hating the man don't even know him not to mention all the nonsense about boring football, are we talking about the same Mourinho that set the record number of goals in La Liga and points in one season?

Or is everything being based on his time at United with that squad and toxic situation? Because right now he's looking pretty fucking good to United supporters.

Loved Poch...sad to see him go, I would rather have given him massive backing- financially and verbally in the media- and until the end of the next season to get it right, try and build a dynasty and accept that we were going to do fuck all this season. BUT it was a gamble either way, and I'm glad we didn't do the middle option of giving him until Christmas and then getting rid, because I've seen enough this season (as we all have) to know that things weren't getting better anytime soon under Poch, and he was going to need to have a huge rebuild.

But it is what it is. I've always secretly thought that Mourinho would be the sort of person that you would love if he was at your club, but hate if he's anywhere else. I'm also sure he's said good things about us in the past, both as a club and as supporters. The spell he had a Man Utd was very bad and that concerns me because his methods started to look outdated. But if he can recreate some of the old magic then these could be very interesting times ahead. I'm going to enjoy the ride.

AVB's football was nothing like Mourinho's. AVB's was generally about possession, high line and pressing - you might remember how he came unstuck at Chelsea trying to play this with ageing CB's like Terry and had to adjust.

AVB's basic philosophy was much closer to Pochettino's than Mourinho's. Mourinho is much more pragmatic. It's not a "possession" based ethos, or high line, like AVB's or Poch's was.

AVB gets tarred with that boring mantra, but just look at Klopp these last couple of years, there's very little heavy metal, gagenpressing, it's much more pragmatic, safety biased football, embossed with a blistering front 3 and flying set of FB's. Nothing AVB churned out was as fucking turgid as the pile of wank Pochettino's being churning out for the last couple of years and Poch had a much better squad. Imagine what Poch or Klopp's football would look like with the wanky squad AVB was left with after we sold Bale and Modric.

HIGHLY debatable.... This season has been pony granted, but 2 years is a gross exaggeration, Blakey.

I was literally dragging myself to matches in AVBs second season, even though we were doing ok results wise.

Not exactly 1st hand "insight into what the man is really like" coming from those two either....

You mean someone who has played for him first hand? LOL ffs mate at least try to hide your bias.

They have far more insight than you or me, that's for damn sure.

We get it, you dislike our new manager, shouldn't you be mad at our chairman for hiring him mate?

Fair enough, and I’ve also met high profile people in the music industry, some are better than their public personas, some are worse, but my perception of Mourinho is all I have to go on and that’s down to him, not me. If he’s such a nice guy, why does he go so far out his way to be an arsehole? Why not show off his charm and warmth occasionally?

Bobby Robson, 5 minutes after going out on penalties in 1990 with a microphone shoved in his face - “Well it’s a cruel situation, but we just have to accept it. We played a big part in the tournament.” Pure class.

Let’s hope José doesn’t turn back into the bitching, excuse making bore he’s known for (in public anyway).

Last edited:

Yeah, I agree with most of that. I was trying to be generous with Mourinho and in my head, I was looking at his work with Chelsea primarily in his first stint towards the end. Trying to make some comparisons when his team had possession of the ball.

FWIW I still found AVB's football very pragmatic, very percentage low-risk shit. At Chelsea, he was apparently brought in to change things and therefore his brief was to play a more expansive game, something that the dodgy Russian wanted. Kind of the same with us, but when he loosened up the flood gates opened and we got spanked. (Same happened to Jose in our 5-3 drubbing of them, following that game he shut up shop)

Because you disagree with it.

I can't take you serious after your "well known facts" post which was 90% subjective bollocks driven by your emotional dislike for Mourinho.

Most of the "facts" you presented against him are easy to refute, as a matter of fact, half of your post is refuted in that video alone, but you will never listen because, just like with everything else when you argue, it's so deeply slanted by bias it can never be taken serious.
Calm the fuck down fella, it's a lighthearted take on two pundits routinely ripped into for their takes on football, add them to the many that exist. It's not that I disagree with it, I didn't even bother to listen to it, it's fucking Danny Mills and Carlton Cole!!!

Everything I list was factual and can be backed up and supported.

What are your expectations this season? What is this football demigod going to deliver for you?

Jose certainly said all the right things, now we need him to walk the walk otherwise what's the point. Loved that he acknowledged Poch and his contribution. Let's hope that he means what he says that it's not all about him, and we may have got ourselves someone who is going to take us forward and not another false dawn.
Couple of posts you have made which are spot on.
Everyone getting carried away with his aura but he also has a habit of going back on his word.

I'm firmly in the wait and see category. I just can't forget the fact that he has a track record of wanting the limelight and caring for numero uno. No matter how much reflection he has been doing that kind of behaviour doesn't go away. First sign of things going against him will be the litmus paper test to see if he has really changed.

There's no doubting is managerial skills and tactics and the winning mentality though.

Calm the fuck down fella, it's a lighthearted take on two pundits routinely ripped into for their takes on football, add them to the many that exist. It's not that I disagree with it, I didn't even bother to listen to it, it's fucking Danny Mills and Carlton Cole!!!

Everything I list was factual and can be backed up and supported.

What are your expectations this season? What is this football demigod going to deliver for you?
lol calm down, mate, I am cool as a cucumber, I just think you're talking nonsense.

Maybe you should listen to it and you might have a different perspective on Mourinho as a person and professional.

No, it isn't and no it cannot, like I said, 90% of it is subjective nonsense, like the "boring football" statement, easy to disprove based on the amount of goals his teams have scored over the years and points his teams have amassed, unless you consider winning to be boring? You can't base everything you say on his final few months at United and call it a fact.

My expectations is that we should finish in the top 6 and have a deep run into a cup competition this season, based on the mess we are currently in that would be a success in my eyes.

Next season and after the January and summer window I expect a trophy, any trophy and a top four position, I think that's realistic.

I think he will have us challenging for the league next season though, that's my honest opinion.

Back
Top Bottom