Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just read that it was heard that someone of the coaching staff was screaming to him "Get out!". Such a shame that his career took this turn, because he had some SERIOUS potential.
Huge technical and physical potential, head of a howler monkey (I say this without racist implications). He could be like Etoo, he made Ottavio Bianchi's career

No wonder you're a thick cunt, the teachers had it right it seems.

Seriously I hear you but I'm not comparing Poch with Jose and it's disingenuous to say so. Talk is cheap, what he's said so far is great and I share your opinion on it but his track record says ' come in, shake it up, spend money, win and then get fucked off ' after 2 or 3 seasons.

I'm fascinated too I'm just adding a note of caution in the same way you are (more eloquently obvs), for the same reasons. He's a genuinely clever cunt as you say but his ego and his subsequent defensive nature always get the better of him when things start going the wrong way. That will not have changed and it's hard to see a long term future with him as manager, despite what some reports say. I hope i'm wrong but the problem factors you've described above are hard to dismiss.

Poch needed to adapt his tactical philosophy (as klopp has) and he needed regular fresh blood whether it be youth or bought. Jose is more adaptable tactically but will he get the regular fresh blood?

We'll improve without doubt but for how long? A great DOF is more important to my mind long term.

Completely agree re the DOF, have said this numerous times, and I think this is one area Levy got horribly wrong when he acquiesced to Poch’s ambition to be an SAF and made him “manager” not just head coach.

I am a massive believer in the DOF system, always have been.

As far as the cyclical nature of Mourinho’s tenures, I am coming to the opinion that this is pretty much football. Intense methodology required for success seems to have a shelf life of 3-5 years. I’m sure there’s the odd exception, and ways to extend that with clever management of resources, but rare.

Poch had the opportunity to refresh his team with the young minds and legs of the academy - he spurned that opportunity and instead repeatedly tried to get tired old square pegs doing round hole things. Stupid.

Mourinho also arrived at Porto in mid season in 2002. Porto was in 6th position which is terrible by the club standards and finished in 3rd. And he said “we are not gonna win the league this season, but next season we will” and he did.

Completely agree re the DOF, have said this numerous times, and I think this is one area Levy got horribly wrong when he acquiesced to Poch’s ambition to be an SAF and made him “manager” not just head coach.

I am a massive believer in the DOF system, always have been.

As far as the cyclical nature of Mourinho’s tenures, I am coming to the opinion that this is pretty much football. Intense methodology required for success seems to have a shelf life of 3-5 years. I’m sure there’s the odd exception, and ways to extend that with clever management of resources, but rare.

Poch had the opportunity to refresh his team with the young minds and legs of the academy - he spurned that opportunity and instead repeatedly tried to get tired old square pegs doing round hole things. Stupid.

I think the only possible way you can extend the shelf life is by winning. Without it, as you say, 3-5 years is the standard cycle.

Back
Top Bottom