Will the FA rescind Son's red card after the statement they made?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Will the FA rescind Son's red card?

• Yes

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • No

Votes: 85 75.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"The red card for Son was for endangering the safety of a player, which happened as a consequence of his initial challenge."

Isnt it amazing how this isnt applied in retrospect for the elbow to Sons face a minute earlier that could have permanantly blinded him if not for a cm or two and some luck..?

But clip someones ankles, and his studs get caught in the grass and the "initial challenge" put Gomez safety in danger.
So every foul should be a sending off then?
i erred on the side of agreeing with the card... probably because i prioritized reducing the occurrence of injuries like this and discouraging cynical fouls... albeit i can understand in the heat of a late challenge a player is unlikely to think whether the attacker could crash into a covering defender or flop harmlessly to the ground... tackles/challenges like Serge on Gnarby and Choudry on Salah are what i truly despise and would like to see them stamped out....

So does the ref now get a 3 match ban? What does it say for VAR? Surely the point of it is to overturn these wrong decisions before it costs a team 2 points?
This is absolutely the point - we have been robbed of 2 points by a system that is supposed to be a 'fail safe' to ensure that obviously incorrect decisions are not allowed to stand. Interesting that the review was by an independent panel - maybe that's how VAR should be run as they are clearly not afraid of overturning a referees decision.

Some limited and belated justice for Sonny, then.

Two points gone though, thanks in no small part to this appalling decision.

Last edited:
Ref was an absolute thundercunt and presumably won't be marked down by his assessor. What the fuck was VAR playing at. I was all for it at the start of the season and I really enjoyed it at the world cup...seemed to be used well. It's an absolute cluster fuck in e EPL. Bin it the fuck now and admit it needs more work. I feel like all teams would agree with that

Shocked but so happy for him.
Also might curb some of the hatred he’s bound to get when we play them next

Only an idiot could see the replay and call that a bad tackle or a dangerous one

Shocked but so happy for him.
Also might curb some of the hatred he’s bound to get when we play them next

Only an idiot could see the replay and call that a bad tackle or a dangerous one
I think it was a bad tackle and a reckless one, but not an immediately dangerous one. It was a yellow card offense.

I think it was a bad tackle and a reckless one, but not an immediately dangerous one. It was a yellow card offense.
I think it was a bad tackle deliberate attempt to stop the player progressing into our third on the counter. The like of which we see 2/3 times in every game of European football since its invention.

Well done to the FA. They did the right thing and at the same time admitted that VAR doesn't work.

Sadly, we end up with 2 points lost, because of it.

Back
Top Bottom