Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I completely disagree. In my previous explanation, I believe we need to get the best from him, which is when he's on the ball, playing him for the first hour (against the 1st or 2nd best team in the world right now, in their back yard where no one has beaten them in 45 consecutive games) would have seen him play defensively, only exposing his weakness! Bringing him on against tiered LFC legs would mean he can get on the ball more, which is where his strengths lie. He simply isn't up to the pace of the league yet, this would have been even more exposed against LFC and their intensity.
But Poch played Eriksen - and we know what he brings these days. You must admit it’s frustrating to watch Eriksen dance around like a twat when we know what Ndombele can do.

But Poch played Eriksen - and we know what he brings these days. You must admit it’s frustrating to watch Eriksen dance around like a twat when we know what Ndombele can do.
I'm becoming more and more convinced that Eriksen has some sort of compromising video of Poch and is using it to blackmail his way into the team. There's no other explanation and if he plays against Everton I shall demand to see a copy 😎

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Eriksen has some sort of compromising video of Poch and is using it to blackmail his way into the team. There's no other explanation and if he plays against Everton I shall demand to see a copy 😎
Levy wants to keep him in the shop window - it’s the only thing that I can think of and maybe it’s at the root of Poch’s dissatisfaction?

Ndombele just isn't up to speed, almost everyone can see this and has made reference to it but some people think he should start a game, be pegged back on our box which isn't his strengths. The common theme is whoever isn't selected, should have started. Whoever is selected should have been left out, this is how the game works right?!

He will get up to speed, he will get fitter (to use our opponents as a yardstick, how long has it taken Fabinho to get up to speed? Nabi Keita has played just ONE game for them this year). He's a fantastic player, only 22yrs old, it's clear to see his talent, it's equally clear to see his weakness too.

I don't think Eriksen would have played today if Lamela wasn't injured, I'm guessing but Eriksen hasn't got the nod in the last couple of games. If this is the case playing Ndombele instead of Eriksen (or Lamela) isn't the answer mainly because they aren't comparable positions and would have required more shuffling of the squad and maybe more imbalance as a result.

Fair enough. I kinda glaze over after the first paragraph. So a half-time substitution then? Again both a good idea and heresy in the philosophy.
When he came on we saw that he was playing to his strengths. LFC was tired and he got on the ball more as a result. ( I appreciate that I've oversimplified that, there are more dynamics at play, but doesn't change my view that we need him on the ball, being creative rather than camped on the edge of our box with the oppo running off him).

Ndombele just isn't up to speed, almost everyone can see this and has made reference to it but some people think he should start a game, be pegged back on our box which isn't his strengths. The common theme is whoever isn't selected, should have started. Whoever is selected should have been left out, this is how the game works right?!

He will get up to speed, he will get fitter (to use our opponents as a yardstick, how long has it taken Fabinho to get up to speed? Nabi Keita has played just ONE game for them this year). He's a fantastic player, only 22yrs old, it's clear to see his talent, it's equally clear to see his weakness too.

I don't think Eriksen would have played today if Lamela wasn't injured, I'm guessing but Eriksen hasn't got the nod in the last couple of games. If this is the case playing Ndombele instead of Eriksen (or Lamela) isn't the answer mainly because they aren't comparable positions and would have required more shuffling of the squad and maybe more imbalance as a result.

I understand what you say but I just don't think Eriksen should be considered at all now. Let him paint the lines in the car park or whatever until the time comes for him to go. He contributes nothing and his presence must surely have a negative effect on the other players. It really grates to know he's earning appearance money when that's all he effectively does now... appear.

I think that Poch's main flaw is that he can't handle being questioned/taking criticism.

You see it time and time again, particularly in recent years that when someone questions him on something in regards to a match he gets very testy and puts all his sharp ends out like a hedgehog. Which is probably why he has not made a single change to his management team in years. He has surrounded himself with yes men it seems. And this is probably why he prefers working with younger players rather than experienced pros. An experienced player is going to question him, whilst a youngster "given a opportunity" would be willing to run through walls for him.

Being questioned is however part of the job as a football manager.

Fair enough, but I can see the merit of him starting and then being subbed if he’s not up to 90 minutes. Why wait until we’re chasing the game?

I think that Poch's main flaw is that he can't handle being questioned/taking criticism.

You see it time and time again, particularly in recent years that when someone questions him on something in regards to a match he gets very testy and puts all his sharp ends out like a hedgehog. Which is probably why he has not made a single change to his management team in years. He has surrounded himself with yes men it seems. And this is probably why he prefers working with younger players rather than experienced pros. An experienced player is going to question him, whilst a youngster "given a opportunity" would be willing to run through walls for him.

Being questioned is however part of the job as a football manager.
You may have just hit the nail on the head :thumbup:

Interesting stat (although haven’t checked). 14 teams with our points tally after 10 games have gone on to be relegated from the PL. That’s to say nothing of our dire form in the last three months of last season.

Seriously, we are proper shit at the moment.

I understand what you say but I just don't think Eriksen should be considered at all now. Let him paint the lines in the car park or whatever until the time comes for him to go. He contributes nothing and his presence must surely have a negative effect on the other players. It really grates to know he's earning appearance money when that's all he effectively does now... appear.
Lo Celso is just back from injury. Ndombele is a 6. Lamela is injured. Who else do you play instead of Eriksen?

Fair enough, but I can see the merit of him starting and then being subbed if he’s not up to 90 minutes. Why wait until we’re chasing the game?
Because we (he) would be defending. He would be without the ball, he's really not very good at this at the mommet, and he's displayed this against much lesser sides. So, remain in the game, bring him on against tired legs, let him get on the ball (his strength) and create something. This is what he actually did today, I thought he was excellent.

That all sounds really reasonable except we can all see the total and utter shit that eriksen is producing and to be fair dele isn't much better. N'dombele may well be not up to speed but his playing far better than either of those two.

Today I watched a man who refuses to sign a new contract , thus costing the club upwards of 60 million contribute absolutely nothing going forward and was just as bad defensively and yet somehow the debate is whether our new star signing who has been getting better and better is match fit?

I have been defending poch like crazy but today he got it wrong . Not good enough, his acting in a really curious manner , the same way managers often do when they're coming to the end .

I hope I'm wrong. I hope next week we start with a young, hungry team and show a similar sort of passion, aggression and positivity as we did against red star but the indications aren't good.

Back
Top Bottom