Poch out?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch out?

• Yes

Votes: 161 36.9%
  • No

Votes: 275 63.1%

• Total voters
Almost certainly Sissoko who WhatsApp'd Poch in on the dinner, the only fucker in the dressing room who still wants him here.
3dpt0k.jpg

Mitchell - Vincent Janssen, Tripps, Georges-Kévin Nkoudou, Wimmer, N'jie. The bloke is a fraud. (He didn't get Dele in, that was Pleat!!)

I don't remember too many of us grumbling about Janssen signing at the time, and it was logical, and was explained by Rob MacKensie (who was also at the club as a scout/analyst at the time) and Poch went to watch Janssen and OK'd it. We wanted a young inexpensive back-up who wouldn't mind sitting on the bench.

Trippier was outstanding business, 4/5m started off as an excellent back up, ended up as the most offensively productive RB in the league until TAA came along, gave us 3 good seasons in the top4, became (and still is)m a regular international and played in a CL final (and was just about our best player in it) and then gets sold for 4 times what we paid for him.

Wimmer was also good business, he was decent back-up LCB (he was never terrible for us when called on) and was sold for a big profit.

As an attacking player Nkoudou made a fuck of a lot more sense at 12m and 20k a week aged 20, than Sissoko (who was bought as an AM) at 27 for 30m and 90k for 5 years. Catastrophic business.

This is where we need a DOF to say "we don't need to buy N'Jie when we have Pritchard or Edwards that need game time"

The signings we've made (until this summer when Poch has taken a back seat in his own words) post Mitchell have been much worse. 80 fucking million in fees and about 10m a year on Sissoko, Aurier & Moura. 40m on Sanchez (I don't hate him but 40m FFS made him one of the most expensive CB's at the time).

All recruiters/scouts have their hits and misses. Some of Arnesen's were a bit iffy (Pamarot etc), same Baldini (Chiriches), same Comolli (some great signings but Darren Bent FFS ?)

I don't think we can judge Mitchell on a few months and we don't know whether he was suggesting others that weren't being followed up on etc.

Liverpool haven't "overtaken us" they had two "good" recruitment windows (one that we couldn't and didn't have competed with financial with them at the time, in fact, there were a couple of players we went head to head on that went to them and not us, they have the 2nd highest wage bill in the league!! This coincided with us building a £1.2b stadium). They did what we did and singed no one in the summer, haven't seen anything like the levels of criticism aimed at us for doing so, it's amazing how all it takes is a dodgy pen and the gurning teeth of Klopp to swing the narrative.

They have overtaken us. They have a better coach than we do. They have put together a squad that is better than ours and they are getting results that are much better than we are and anything we did, even in our 16/17 season when we were 2nd.

Yes, they have a bigger wage bill, but their recruitment has been outstanding the last 4 years. Really smart, and not just about huge fees and wages, Gomes, Robertson, Fabinho, Wyjnaldum, Salah, Firminho, Matip, Henderson - none of these were out of our reach in fees and wages. And I'm not even saying I would have wanted all of those at the time they bought them, but they've all been great value signings.

What I'd like to see is for us to continue with our "sweet spot". Operate in the market that has bought us, Eriksen, Lloris, Vertonghen, etc. etc. and now with more coffers in the bank move the needle to one known player like a Ndombele (or Dybala - not that I thought he was an urgent signing at all). I'm not calling for or expect us to buy loads of these types of players, just make one big move each window, supplemented by what we've proved to be one of the best at.

I think we did that this summer. I hope this is a sign that we are getting back on track. This summer is the best window we've had for a very long time. Made three proper signings, all young, all with shitloads of potential, all at the right point in the development curve. I'm just not sure I trust Poch to use the players we have bought wisely. We've already seen Ndombele in a CM2, we are hearing Sessegnon is going to be used as a LB and it wouldn't surprise me to see Lo Celso deployed as an AM.

The reason why we are discussing our transfers is that we can't sell players that we want out, this IMO is the issue. This smacks us in the arse when Poch's philosophy, which has served us well, about selecting players that want to play (e.g. Walker) above those that are not on board.

Selecting Rose went against everything he tried to instil in the team, upon his reselection I assumed that both parties sorted stuff out, but no the reality is we've or he's been trying to leave the club for two seasons now. It's this that undermines what has been built. There may well be others, but I list Rose because it's confirmed by both Club and player that he's been allowed to talk to other clubs for some time now.

Agreed, but this meritocratic selection bullshit was broken long before Rose et al, it goes back to Dier being continually picked despite being atrocious often, Alli being picked every week despite spending months on end bumbling his way through games - whilst Son twiddled his fingers win the bench every week. Even Kane, god bless him could have had the odd rest. But these three dressing room leaders were beyond dropping, no matter what the churned out performance wise.

His mantra gone to fucking pish, and some of his credibility with it, the one thing we always had under him was a collective spirit, now even that looks fractured.

The biggest issue of a DoF is who is wagging the tail, who owns the philosophy of the club, the style of play, the ability to instil, train, coach it. Who has to live and breathe it, make it a reality. For me, it's the Manager.

But the problem is when that manager is incapable of delivering that philosophy because he compromises it too often. A DOF doesn't have that compromise, he doesn't have to be the player's fucking guru, or even friend. A manager shouldn't be (or have to be) getting involved in the financials, the players new wage offers etc. It's bound to create resentments in other players etc. Which is what we have now.

A manager just wants - and needs - to win games to survive. This effects his ability to see and have the long term vision for the club. The club's over arching philosophy should come from someone who bridges the financial and footballing spheres, who understands the parameters of the two and how they must co-exist, and can oversee the first team, oversee recruitment, oversee academy development and integration - make sure all those things are in synergy. The head coach should be a vital part of the equation but should be free to concentrate on coaching the first team.

I've found a colleague to cover for me tomorrow so I'll be there and I fully expect 3 or 4 from us and hopefully a clean sheet.
I think we've hit rock bottom and now the only way is up. I am in no doubt of a resounding spanking for Watford and three lovely points for us. It's still not too late to start climbing up the table. I think the toxicity between Poch and Levy is the reason for the poor performances but if the players can shrug that off and not worry about boardroom politics, there's still time.
COYS
You’re so full of shit.

I've found a colleague to cover for me tomorrow so I'll be there and I fully expect 3 or 4 from us and hopefully a clean sheet.
I think we've hit rock bottom and now the only way is up. I am in no doubt of a resounding spanking for Watford and three lovely points for us. It's still not too late to start climbing up the table. I think the toxicity between Poch and Levy is the reason for the poor performances but if the players can shrug that off and not worry about boardroom politics, there's still time.
COYS
We will beat Watford, but all that will do is put a plaster over one of the huge cracks. Poch's time is up.

We will beat Watford, but all that will do is put a plaster over one of the huge cracks. Poch's time is up.
Too early imo, give him the chance to reach the Round of 16 of the CL again and be in the top-four - or really close - around Boxing Day, I think he deserves it (and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he will manage to do so).

So I shall join you in a glass or two Joe Clash and wish you a very enjoyable weekend
Well thank you ‘55. Let’s hope you can still appreciate an enjoyable weekend. A word of advice dear chum. Don’t rely on Tottenham to provide it for you. Remember, many people are boycotting this game from their sofas in Sweden. That’s what real support is all about.

Well thank you ‘55. Let’s hope you can still appreciate an enjoyable weekend. A word of advice dear chum. Don’t rely on Tottenham to provide it for you. Remember, many people are boycotting this game from their sofas in Sweden. That’s what real support is all about.
The story of my life for the last 56 years summed up in four words...."Don't rely on Tottenham".
Have to hope Wales beat France then. :thumbup:

Remember when twitter and the internet dwellers all patted themselves on the back for “making Levy act” in the summer and sign players.

Are they now taking responsibility for the “shit window”?

:harrylol:

Sounds like the Poch out crew are already getting their excuses in in the event of a Spurs win.
Strange times
Playing Watford at home and you say 'In the event of a win' ??. Surely nobody but a Watford fan sees anything else than 3pts for Spurs today. I may be a Poch Out supporter but I'm also a realist.
Lose this one and he really has lost the plot and the dressing room.

Playing Watford at home and you say 'In the event of a win' ??. Surely nobody but a Watford fan sees anything else than 3pts for Spurs today. I may be a Poch Out supporter but I'm also a realist.
Lose this one and he really has lost the plot and the dressing room.

And some people just don’t learn.....like all the people who were called negative for being cautious after beating the mighty Crystal Palace.

How has it gone since then?

Scrape past Watford by hook n crook or paste them 6-0.....these people will pipe up again as if beating the bottom side appeases everything that’s happened so far. Then comes Anfield.

A run of five games with consistent improvement (regardless of results) will tell us something.
People are happy to take one good game in isolation as proof of something, but dismiss 10 months of shit performances as a blip.

Just realised it's not on sky/bt/amazon ffs. I demand instant gratification, god dammit!

I don't mind finding a stream if it's decent but sometimes you can't full screen or click off the arsehole comments sections on the side. And some of the hateful shit that comes out of their crapholes makes Tommy Robinson look like Owen Jones.

Back
Top Bottom