Tottenham Hotspur v. Watford - 19.10.2019 @ 3 PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I just can’t see any of our current midfielders that have a defensive bone in their bodies. Obviously Dier and Wanyama do but they have forgotten how to play football.

Neither of them can control a ball or run anymore, and they cause more trouble than they are worth.

Our only option is winks at the base of midfield and then at least we won’t lose possession in dangerous areas. . .

I would give my left festival for a proper DM In Jan.
I agree about Wanyama who we have all seen is off the pace. However Dier after last season's illnesses needs games and we do need more defensive cover in midfield. He needs to play.

I agree about Wanyama who we have all seen is off the pace. However Dier after last season's illnesses needs games and we do need more defensive cover in midfield. He needs to play.
He has been like this since before his injuries, people just forget. He was bad for atleast 6 months before his injury troubles.

Time for Poch to put some faith in those that got us here. Dier and Ndombele in a 2 man CM with Dele at CAM...

I agree absolutely that a win on Saturday is a must and I think we will. But in and of itself, it simply won't mean anything. We have to be able to beat the middle to top teams to get back our self respect.
Beating Watford simply doesn't mean anything in football terms. We need to beat the Leicesters, Chelscums, Burnleys etc with ease. It's these silly losses to inferior teams like Palace and Brighton that is so damaging to our confidence. I can live with the Bayern result. There's no shame in losing to them but I see Saturday as a tiny steppingstone forwards with a win. I should be easy. If we don't.......a complete and total new broom is needed. I'm just hoping we can get some form back before the January window to make us an attractive proposition for some of the very talented players waiting to be snapped up.

Sounds like Lo Celso and Sess are nearly there.

giphy.gif

Stop putting players out of position. No time to experiment. This is not a friendly. We need to win.
I wouldn't put Foyth at DM.
I still want Dier and Winks there and give them time to develop an understanding. But I know full well that isn't going to happen and. Poch will be looking to pull out one of his weird tactical changes. I reckon this might be what he does.

He works hard but he's always chasing back and trying to recover, he doesn't read the game. He's not a defensively-minded player who senses danger, intercepts the ball and breaks up play. He's just a good athlete who is willing to run all the way back and make a tackle when someone has gone past him.

Sandro, Parker, Dier, Wanyama, when they were in their prime these guys were serious defensive midfielders. They protected the team and stopped attacks before they could happen. Sissoko does not stop attacks from happening he just tries to stop them resulting in a goal.
I know it's been a while since his legs were completely gone but losing prime Wanyama still hurt so bad. I wish we had a couple of more years with him, he was an incredible DM before his injuries.

I agree absolutely that a win on Saturday is a must and I think we will. But in and of itself, it simply won't mean anything. We have to be able to beat the middle to top teams to get back our self respect. Beating Watford simply doesn't mean anything in football terms. We need to beat the Leicesters, Chelscums, Burnleys etc with ease. It's these silly losses to inferior teams like Palace and Brighton that is so damaging to our confidence. I can live with the Bayern result. There's no shame in losing to them but I see Saturday as a tiny steppingstone forwards with a win. I should be easy. If we don't.......a complete and total new broom is needed. I'm just hoping we can get some form back before the January window to make us an attractive proposition for some of the very talented players waiting to be snapped up.
...but LOSING to them will mean the apparent end of the footballing world...
And that in itself, is why WINNING on Saturday is VITAL... 'cos losing would be equally as important... albeit in completely the opposite direction !

OK... we need to stop fucking about here... even with the apparent 'crisis' at Spurs, the players are still grown ups, capable of putting in a performance worthy of winning a football match!

Their ability hasn't suddenly deserted them, belief and mental strength might be fragile, but that can be remidied by EVERYONE pulling together, NOT feeling sorry for themselves, and not looking to January... there are still 2 and a half months (and a dozen or so games) before that happens... PLENTY of time to show the players give a shit about their OWN reputation and their careers.
Surely it's better for them in their immediate future to be regarded as a winning player... regardless of what club they currently represent!
Totally with you on this. Been some shite so far this year. Definite disharmony. Some crap tactics (winks is not a 6, and compared to most on here, I'm a relatively strong fan of his), etc etc.
Last year we over achieved. The whole new stadium vs stay and invest ship sailed a long time back.
Definite probs to solve.
Kwp looks gone/unwanted, aurier is aurier, so that's 1 or 2 probs ( depending on foyth)
Need a 6
And esp if foyth is now a rb, we need at least a cb + dav + hope tang is the deal, or realistically a VVD or 2...
Dele is still better than ozil. Just thats not saying much. Eriksen is off. So I'm OK with splashing a few on bruno or dybala (though generally not on the pay what they want brigade)

And... All that said....
Come on lads. It's Watford!

Let's get stuck in do what we did to Palace and get right in em from the start

Back
Top Bottom