Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Apparently they are aiming for 25 non football events per year at the stadium so you could argue that it isn't primarily a football ground

A lot of the argument last night seemed to be about semantics about what a multi purpose stadium is and the word primarily.

The Hood was quite right to point out that it's ridiculous to compare White Hart Lane and the Tottenham Stadium as like for like multi purpose venues, the Tottenham Hotspur stadium IS an NFL stadium built purposely for that specific goal it's also a football stadium, White Hart Lane was a football stadium built for football that occasionally hosted ad hoc events, Spursdem was right to call bullshit on the part about Spurs not being the main event at the new stadium they always will be regardless of what else happens in the stadium.

If an NFL franchise (hate that word) does move in permanently the word primarily is a pointless discussion, the stadium is home to 2 teams and as long as they don't clash who gives a shit about which one is supposed to have the bigger dick?

Now scheduling doesn't really matter because I suppose we can get any game that fits Tottenham's schedule, "let's do The Chicago Pansies vs The Alabama Aholes on that date it's international break and the Aholes haven't played there yet" But what happens when a franchise does happen and that franchise has an NFL schedule to honour? The potential for schedule clashes surely exists?

To be fair i think nfl only has 8 home games excluding play offs so im sure theres enough room. They also play sundays so we can work around it

To be fair i think nfl only has 8 home games excluding play offs so im sure theres enough room. They also play sundays so we can work around it

I don't know a thing about it, no midweek games then?

I know it's a fairly simple process comparatively compared to other stadiums to prepare the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium for NFL but it still looks fairly labour intensive, is it possible to do a football match on the Saturday and NFL on Sunday?

Imagine thinking the NFL will move to England one day
Amazing they had to concoct the most ridiculous fantasy to justify their stupidity.

"But what if the NFL becomes 100 games a year! Then I'm right!"

Yea, well its 8 currently. So you're wrong.

Notice how none of them have responded to SpursIdol financial breakdown?

EDIT - Sorry, it was BF3 breakdown. Credit where due.

Last edited:
Amazing they had to concoct the most ridiculous fantasy to justify their stupidity.

"But what if the NFL becomes 100 games a year! Then I'm right!"

Yea, well its 8 currently. So you're wrong.

Notice how none of them have responded to SpursIdol financial breakdown?
Club might make a fortune.....slag it off and say it’s ENICs money because “nobody knows what will happen”

:walker:

one other thing...as I understand it, the premier league rules state that in the event of a Ground Share, the primier league club must have primacy of use..that is, the proper football fixtures would have to take precedence in the event of a clash

This doesnt count so much with spam because its not a groundshare.

and in the event of a London NFL franchise, dont think they wont try and get it to Wembley or the stratford athletics track. the second would probably have some form of government support just to make some of the losses back (depending on if spams rental agreement allows it, of course)

I'm honestly not sure what all the fuss is about, I personally can't see any negative impact to THFC with the NFL being there. The prem rules state that the football club has priority so we can't be one 2nd class tennants in our own stadium.

If the NFL have a non-US franchise they've already said it's not likely to be before 2025. They've also not confirmed it'll be London, they're also looking at Toronto and Mexico City as other suitable options.
The NFL need to think long and hard about it because previous attempts to break into Europe (before the international series started in 2007) haven't worked and also any new team or move of a team would need to be approved by all the other teams which is unlikely at the moment.
What's most likely is that the new stadium will be used for International series games like it was this year. Those would likely be split with Wembley and we'd probably only see 2-4 a year. Enough to bring in an extra bit of money in revenue, but the bigger impact will come from the brand awareness of the stadium being shown to millions on TV.

CVt85hZ.gif
So...

1) Spoiler that
2) This is fantastic content

Right now, the theoretical maximum number of games would be 13:
2 pre-season games, 8 regular season games, 2 home playoff games and the Super Bowl.

I don't know a thing about it, no midweek games then?

I know it's a fairly simple process comparatively compared to other stadiums to prepare the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium for NFL but it still looks fairly labour intensive, is it possible to do a football match on the Saturday and NFL on Sunday?
Mid-week games exist (Thursday!), as do Monday night games. There are Saturday games in the playoffs (January).

However, due to time differences, "early" NFL kickoffs are at 6 PM local time. There will also be the mid afternoon 2:30pm kicks. The London team will never host a Sunday/Monday/Thursday/Saturday night game due to time differences (it would be 1AM in London). All games (outside of preseason) would be either 2:30pm or 6pm local kicks on Sunday.

NFL schedule releases in April, about 2 months before the PL fixture list. There should not be too much concern about fixture congestion given that the stadium can be turned over within 24 hours. There are far bigger logistical problems with travel, as the team would need to be in the States 3 times a year for 2-3 weeks at a time.

2 pre-season games, 8 regular season games, 2 home playoff games and the Super Bowl.

Mid-week games exist (Thursday!), as do Monday night games. There are Saturday games in the playoffs (January).

However, due to time differences, "early" NFL kickoffs are at 6 PM local time. There will also be the mid afternoon 2:30pm kicks. The London team will never host a Sunday/Monday/Thursday/Saturday night game due to time differences (it would be 1AM in London). All games (outside of preseason) would be either 2:30pm or 6pm local kicks on Sunday.

NFL schedule releases in April, about 2 months before the PL fixture list. There should not be too much concern about fixture congestion given that the stadium can be turned over within 24 hours. There are far bigger logistical problems with travel, as the team would need to be in the States 3 times a year for 2-3 weeks at a time.
It is a thing of beauty to see knowlegable posters do their thing.

*kisses shoes*

I thought about this last night for pants-shitters. The other plausible scenario that I did not lay out is a current NFL owner buys THFC and moves his team to London (think Glazers, but maybe better or worse depending on the owner).

This is also unlikely though because the candidates most likely to move to London either already own a football team (Khan with Fulham) or are not rich enough to buy Spurs (Spanos with the Chargers).

superbowl will never happen . the biggest game off of US soil? they might be able to stomach it if it went to Canada, but not the UK. IMO, anyway

I thought about this last night for pants-shitters. The other plausible scenario that I did not lay out is a current NFL owner buys THFC and moves his team to London (think Glazers, but maybe better or worse depending on the owner).

This is also unlikely though because the candidates most likely to move to London either already own a football team (Khan with Fulham) or are not rich enough to buy Spurs (Spanos with the Chargers).

Good point. London is a UK wide market. Would be the second or third biggest afte new york and LA.

Any owner worth their salt would consider it if they had the money.

Not saying it would be good for Spurs. I doubt it would be

Imagine thinking the NFL will move to England one day
In my opinion, Levy basically made it an inevitability that there will be a permanent NFL franchise in London. His relationship with the NFL is probably unparalleled for a sports executive outside of the inner circle of 32 NFL owners. The London games this past week were an enormous success. The NFL is desperate the expand overseas and Levy basically game them the blue print for how to do it.

There will be a couple more years of hemming and yawing, but it would not shock me to see a London franchise kickoff as soon as 2022. I'm sure Levy would be more than happy to be bought out of his contract with the NFL and bring on another tenant.

superbowl will never happen . the biggest game off of US soil? they might be able to stomach it if it went to Canada, but not the UK. IMO, anyway
There was serious discussions about holding it in Wembley. The NFL would love to host it in London. London maybe not so much.

Good point. London is a UK wide market. Would be the second or third biggest afte new york and LA.

Any owner worth their salt would consider it if they had the money.

Not saying it would be good for Spurs. I doubt it would be
Depends on the owner. Some are like the Glazers, others just want to win and have money to spend. These billionaires are nothing if not vain and competitive.

Back
Top Bottom