Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The genius of calling the stadium the Tottenham Hotspur stadium is that for the last week all US commentators commenting on the 2 NFL games have made Tottenham Hotspur far more well known in North America than Spurs have ever been.

If we announce a naming rights deal in the next ,3 months with a company with US connections it will be for a much larger amount of money than 3 months ago.

But if the plan is to use the permitted 25 non football events to be held at the stadium for internationally televised events we might hear Tottenham Hotspur stadium being broadcast around the world with greater exposure of Spurs football team.

Could be genius marketing of Spurs (football team )
You're smashing it tonight.

Put it into words better than I ever could.

The genius of calling the stadium the Tottenham Hotspur stadium is that for the last week all US commentators commenting on the 2 NFL games have made Tottenham Hotspur far more well known in North America than Spurs have ever been.

If we announce a naming rights deal in the next ,3 months with a company with US connections it will be for a much larger amount of money than 3 months ago.

But if the plan is to use the permitted 25 non football events to be held at the stadium for internationally televised events we might hear Tottenham Hotspur stadium being broadcast around the world with greater exposure of Spurs football team.

Could be genius marketing of Spurs (football team )

I think we may very well be another year or two off of hearing anything when it comes to renaming the place. Maybe get a couple of the big NFL teams over here playing in it, the Cowboys, Patriots etc, get a couple of major concerts on the go, possibly a huge boxing event or even wrestling happening, show the exposure a brand can get through sponsoring it whilst at the same time we grow our reputation as a name in sport to those less privy on the football front.

How many brands get to overlap into football, American football, boxing, wrestling and music all at once? Don't we also have an agreement for a rugby match once a year as well?

Fuck’s sake - bring back the ‘90s. All these arguments about money and franchises? It makes me a bit queasy tbh. “We’ve got more money than you do”.

Lol, I couldn’t wait to get down the Irish Club after a game and discuss balance sheets - such is the modern game.

Fuck’s sake - bring back the ‘90s. All these arguments about money and franchises? It makes me a bit queasy tbh. “We’ve got more money than you do”.

Lol, I couldn’t wait to get down the Irish Club after a game and discuss balance sheets - such is the modern game.

Yeah it's a huge shame, I miss the 90s as well. I know we were shit but wasn't it more fun knowing it was just Spurs and that's it? It's a shame but such is the way these days with players like Andre Grey costing the same as Maradona did based on inflation in football compared to the real world.

Still, at least we got to see it back before it became silly bollocks.

The important thing to remember also. If the football bubble were to burst and thing revert back to the 90s, our come up has been in such a way that we will always be sustainable in such a scenario.

Which is not true of many others. The money in football will not always be this much and we are set fair to survive any "recession".

Doing it the right way does matter.

I repeat the question that you have skirted around, where and who called it "just a football stadium" or "just our home".

You realise the retractable pitch is also designed to hold rugby as mentioned on our website? Again, multi sport.

I, and others, have at every juncture, called it PRIMARILY a football stadium. Of which it is, was and always will be. Just like the old ground.

Jesus Christ - how can it primarily be a football stadium if was to have a permanent NFL team? Seriously how?

The whole facility has been designed to accommodate both - it has separate pitches and separate accommodations. It already has established NFL fixtures there. The old WHL was primarily a football stadium this is patently not.

Why would a stadium that is primarily just a football stadium be built around another single sport? To argue against this is to deny reality. As for it being able to hold rugby there so could the old WHL, we could hold a boxing match there.

However no other sport was factored into the design as American football was. It was specially designed with this is mind - that is a fact everyone knows. If that is the case then it’s not primarily a football stadium is it - if a NFL franchise moves into it then it’s not primarily a football stadium is it? How can it be that with a permanent my NFL side there.

To argue that this is comparable to the old ground is quite possibly one of the most absurd and idiotic points I have witnessed on here. And again that sentence was mine - it’s why I wrote it and then stated as such before. Jesus wept

Jesus Christ - how can it primarily be a football stadium if was to have a permanent NFL team? Seriously how?

The whole facility has been designed to accommodate both - it has separate pitches and separate accommodations. It already has established NFL fixtures there. The old WHL was primarily a football stadium this is patently not.

Why would a stadium that is primarily just a football stadium be built around another single sport? To argue against this is to deny reality. As for it being able to hold rugby there so could the old WHL, we could hold a boxing match there.

However no other sport was factored into the design as American football was. It was specially designed with this is mind - that is a fact everyone knows. If that is the case then it’s not primarily a football stadium is it - if a NFL franchise moves into it then it’s not primarily a football stadium is it? How can it be that with a permanent my NFL side there.

To argue that this is comparable to the old ground is quite possibly one of the most absurd and idiotic points I have witnessed on here. And again that sentence was mine - it’s why I wrote it and then stated as such before. Jesus wept
Hahaha this is fucking humiliating.

You've even written the sentence "primarily just a football stadium" lolz.

How will it be primarily a football stadium?

Because even with a franchise, the most the stadium can be used for for American Football is 8-10 weeks whilst the Football will be played July through to May with 3 times as many events.

When something is used 11 months out of the year, with triple as many events compared to 2, the thing used for 11 months is its PRIMARY usage.

You complete div.

You think primarily equates to just, and that is absolutely hilarious.

Last edited:
I think we may very well be another year or two off of hearing anything when it comes to renaming the place. Maybe get a couple of the big NFL teams over here playing in it, the Cowboys, Patriots etc, get a couple of major concerts on the go, possibly a huge boxing event or even wrestling happening, show the exposure a brand can get through sponsoring it whilst at the same time we grow our reputation as a name in sport to those less privy on the football front.

How many brands get to overlap into football, American football, boxing, wrestling and music all at once? Don't we also have an agreement for a rugby match once a year as well?

I am in 2 minds on this

1. We are missing out on money now from not doing a naming rights deal now.
So better to do the deal now.

Probably more acceptable to naming rights sponsor to sponsor a relatively new stadium , so probably a naming rights deal in the next couple of years.

2. We can reap the benefit of having the Tottenham Hotspur name broadcast around the world elevating the clubs standing - it's free advertising that we can only dream of .

The value of the naming rights deal is not going down - probably going up in value with NFL coverage, football, rugby, boxing and any other sport that can go on in the stadium, and even esports..

We don't need the money now, we have enough. Might be an advantage to delay it so that we have a constantly increasing revenue dtream.

So a naming rights deal will happen - but maybe not for s couple of years....or earlier !

The important thing to remember also. If the football bubble were to burst and thing revert back to the 90s, our come up has been in such a way that we will always be sustainable in such a scenario.

Which is not true of many others. The money in football will not always be this much and we are set fair to survive any "recession".

That is the exact reason why trophies matter, but doing it the right way matters far more. If it's sustainable, it will always be due to skill. If and when it reverts back, everything we've done is Tottenham, nothing has been fabricated and I like that we are still one of the few genuinely organic clubs in this country, I like that we are still the same Spurs and everything we've been able to afford is because of that.

No corners cut, no soul as of yet lost. We are no bigger or smaller than the success of previous seasons and decisions made allows us to be. I know City have the glory but it must be a bit of a killer for their fans knowing that it isn't really City, it's just a rich guy getting people to wear City shirts.

Last edited:
I am in 2 minds on this

1. We are missing out on money now from not doing a naming rights deal now.
So better to do the deal now.

Probably more acceptable to naming rights sponsor to sponsor a relatively new stadium , so probably a naming rights deal in the next couple of years.

2. We can reap the benefit of having the Tottenham Hotspur name broadcast around the world elevating the clubs standing - it's free advertising that we can only dream of .

The value of the naming rights deal is not going down - probably going up in value with NFL coverage, football, rugby, boxing and any other sport that can go on in the stadium, and even esports..

We don't need the money now, we have enough. Might be an advantage to delay it so that we have a constantly increasing revenue dtream.

So a naming rights deal will happen - but maybe not for s couple of years....or earlier !

Either way I think the club has positioned itself pretty well for the right sponsor. It has many avenues it can explore or dangle for the right or rainy day.

Next phase for me is £100m net spend each summer for the next two seasons. Give the footballing side some TLC now that we can draw a few lines under infrastructure and see how that pans out.

But are we doing it ‘the right way? We’re doing it a different way, but it doesn’t seem right from where I’m sitting. Heavy handed stewarding, ridiculous ticket prices, the gradual erosion of our core support?

This stadium could have been so much more, but money, and a negligible amount at that, came first.

The Tourist Stadium, London N17. “If you’ve got the money, we’ve got the popcorn and the soccer. Don’t like soccer? No problem, we’ve got NFL too. Roll up, Roll up, and if you miss out on the soccer action, don’t worry. Bono will be along to relieve you of any dollars you have left. Remember. Keep it real, keep it Spurs!!! And any ticketing problems visit StubHub our only slightly clandestine ticketing partner”.

Last edited:
But are we doing it ‘the right way? We’re doing it a different way, but it doesn’t seem ‘right’ from where I’m sitting. Heavy handed stewarding, ridiculous ticket prices, the gradual erosion of our core support?

This stadium could have been so much more, but money, and a negligible amount at that, came first.

The Tourist Stadium, London N17. “If you’ve got the money, we’ve got the popcorn and the soccer. Don’t like soccer? No problem, we’ve got NFL too. Roll up, Roll up, and if you miss out on the soccer action, don’t worry. Bono will be along to relieve you of any dollars you have left. Remember. Keep it real, keep it Spurs!!! And any ticketing problems visit StubHub our only slightly clandestine ticketing partners.”

picture upload site
I'm purely talking about sustainability in regards to what may happen if we become shit again.

All those other things are modern (English) football, and further, modern England.

I'm purely talking about sustainability in regards to what may happen if we become shit again.

All those other things are modern (English) football, and further, modern England.
Yeah, I know. I’m just venting a little. I just resent the forces that have made me not want to watch Spurs at home. I never thought I’d ever say that. (I appreciate that’s my problem).

Praying for that pandemic.
I gave up praying when god didn’t get me a new bicycle when I was 8. Even then I thought it was weird that he’d take his mind off running the universe just to secure me a new bike. That was the first time I doubted him/her/it seeing as they were pretty shit at running the universe anyway.

I'm too lazy to go back and quote every post so here we go.

A London NFL team will bring in more revenue than any Premier League team, but especially Tottenham.

This is unlikely, in fact Tottenham is likely to generate more money than any potential London NFL franchise, especially in the first 10 years a team would be in London establishing a true local fan base and not just "NFL fans" of other teams. Fell free to read more here and here. For Spurs financial data, here.

The average NFL team made £355m in 2018. It's important to break that revenue down, however. About £216m of that is shared revenue (mostly TV money). The remaining income will be from "local" sources, which is a nice way of saying team controlled revenue. Given the assumed local (European) fanbase is around 6m in 2020 (source), and assuming they all instantly become London fans overnight, they are very comparable to the Philadelphia Eagles (metro area 6.1m), who made £378m last year.

Spurs in 2017/18 made £381m. Spurs are projected to make £450-500m in the new stadium.

Also, FYI, the cost of including the retractable pitch was likely somewhere in the £50-100m range, with the NFL chipping in £10m . It seems worth the investment given the NFL contract alone will likely bring in £40m (we made £4m this past week) , not to mention all the other events the club can host since we aren't destroying the pitch to host them.

ENIC will be getting an expansion NFL team or own an NFL team.

This is EXTREMELY unlikely, for a couple reasons.

1) The average NFL team is valued at £2.35b, but to actually purchase an existing or expansion team, it will likely cost £3b+ (that's 100 Sissokos!). ENIC is not paying that kind of money for an NFL team. And even if they would/could...

2) The NFL is not going to expand to bring in a London franchise. The NFL conference alignment and parity is heavily dependent on a certain number of franchises. It is much more likely the NFL simply relocates an existing team (my bet is on the Chargers, who are failing spectacularly in Los Angeles), and any owner that is looking to relocate to London will not be looking to sell.

The USA will only recognize "FUTURE STADIUM NAME HERE" as an NFL venue and some other rabbit-hole argument that I got lost in.

This is a bit silly. Americans will know that it's Tottenham's stadium, or probably "that Spurs soccer team". The NFL team will be a tenant, but the fact of the matter is that it is purpose built for multiple events and it will continue to expand the global presence of Tottenham, which is only a good thing.

ENIC will pocket all the revenue and won't reinvest any of it into the club!

Maybe! I don't know! That's not what Levy has been saying at THST meetings and all other public discussions regarding the stadium, but shrug emoji! No one knows. We can hope, though.

Apologies for not addressing some other things with more details, but this took my far longer to write than I was planning.

I'm too lazy to go back and quote every post so here we go.

A London NFL team will bring in more revenue than any Premier League team, but especially Tottenham.

This is unlikely, in fact Tottenham is likely to generate more money than any potential London NFL franchise, especially in the first 10 years a team would be in London establishing a true local fan base and not just "NFL fans" of other teams. Fell free to read more here and here. For Spurs financial data, here.

The average NFL team made £355m in 2018. It's important to break that revenue down, however. About £216m of that is shared revenue (mostly TV money). The remaining income will be from "local" sources, which is a nice way of saying team controlled revenue. Given the assumed local (European) fanbase is around 6m in 2020 (source), and assuming they all instantly become London fans overnight, they are very comparable to the Philadelphia Eagles (metro area 6.1m), who made £378m last year.

Spurs in 2017/18 made £381m. Spurs are projected to make £450-500m in the new stadium.

Also, FYI, the cost of including the retractable pitch was likely somewhere in the £50-100m range, with the NFL chipping in £10m . It seems worth the investment given the NFL contract alone will likely bring in £40m (we made £4m this past week) , not to mention all the other events the club can host since we aren't destroying the pitch to host them.

ENIC will be getting an expansion NFL team or own an NFL team.

This is EXTREMELY unlikely, for a couple reasons.

1) The average NFL team is valued at £2.35b, but to actually purchase an existing or expansion team, it will likely cost £3b+ (that's 100 Sissokos!). ENIC is not paying that kind of money for an NFL team. And even if they would/could...

2) The NFL is not going to expand to bring in a London franchise. The NFL conference alignment and parity is heavily dependent on a certain number of franchises. It is much more likely the NFL simply relocates an existing team (my bet is on the Chargers, who are failing spectacularly in Los Angeles), and any owner that is looking to relocate to London will not be looking to sell.

The USA will only recognize "FUTURE STADIUM NAME HERE" as an NFL venue and some other rabbit-hole argument that I got lost in.

This is a bit silly. Americans will know that it's Tottenham's stadium, or probably "that Spurs soccer team". The NFL team will be a tenant, but the fact of the matter is that it is purpose built for multiple events and it will continue to expand the global presence of Tottenham, which is only a good thing.

ENIC will pocket all the revenue and won't reinvest any of it into the club!

Maybe! I don't know! That's not what Levy has been saying at THST meetings and all other public discussions regarding the stadium, but shrug emoji! No one knows. We can hope, though.

Apologies for not addressing some other things with more details, but this took my far longer to write than I was planning.
tumblr_paa69lqbrL1x731vxo1_400.gifv

P.s. Thank you for providing the undeniable evidence I requested from John. Here ends the debate.

P.s.s. Lads, consider yourselves roasted in your shoes. Evidence trumps bullshit every time.

Just had a quick look and seen this, posted 19th April 2019

Social Following
Facebook 10 million
Instagram 3.8 million
Twitter 3.2 million

Our current numbers are:

Social Following:
Facebook 12 million
Instagram 6 million
Twitter 3.8 million

Unless I've got it all wrong, in the space of just over 5 months (25 weeks actually), our numbers have supposedly risen by:

Facebook - 2 million more followers, a 16.7% rise
Instagram - 2.2m more followers, a 36.7% rise
Twitter - 0.6m more followers, a 15.8% rise

That works out to an average of 23.1% increase across all social media platforms in less than half a year. I know it's only social media but to see your followers grow by literally just under a quarter online at least shows a far larger awareness of us as a football club.

If people like it or not, these kind of things do make a difference when pushing our team to bigger and better things. I know we can't take social media numbers as being completely accurate but across all 3 an average increase of 23.1% in just over 5 months/ 25 weeks is impressive regardless. It gives a quick snapshot and one that looks very promising in the early stages of being at the new gaff. These numbers will continue to grow the more we dip into the Asian & American markets like we have been over the past couple of years, it'll only add value to the club and it's reputation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom