Tottenham Hotspur v Bayern Munich (01-10-19) (20:00)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

"We get tired too quickly physically when we play with a diamond midfield," Moussa Sissoko admitted on French TV channel RMC Sport on Tuesday night.

State of our biggest workhorse whose best asset is running calling out Poch for his tactics.

First and foremost - Harry Kane HAS to be made captain. Lloris is not a leader. Even Son would make a better captain than Lloris.
I've never been fond of a goalkeeper being captain but yesterday made it very clear its a Lloris problem more than anything. Spot the difference between him and Neuer (both GK captains), the latter always seems to be directing his defence and giving them hell, when appropriate. Ours goes in his shell and give off the thousand yard stare.

He let a Bayern player run off him 3 times in the first 10 mins. New 4-year contract, but Poch says it was nothing to do with him. Worrying times.

I think it’s more Levy doesn’t want to get caught with his pants down again with players in their 30s. Not sure Sissoko is the one they needed to tie down, though.

I think it’s more Levy doesn’t want to get caught with his pants down again with players in their 30s. Not sure Sissoko is the one they needed to tie down, though.
On your first point, it's possible, although I did not like Poch's remark that it was nothing to do with him. Pure shit-stirring, that. Agree with your second point. It is extremely concerning that his starting spot is virtually guaranteed.

Kane, Dele, Eriksen, Dier, Wanyama, Son, Jan, Toby, Lloris, Rose and Lamela would have walked into any top 4 team three years ago.

A squad like this? CL finalists?

Its time people realise we got there in spite, not because of Pochettino
I agree with some of the bigger points you make re: Poch but your premise and conclusion here don't jibe my friend. What they would have done, arguably, 3 years ago does not make a difference now and should not be used as a metric today. The mere fact that all of these players are still being counted on to the same degree as 3 years ago is a bigger statement of the problem. There is only 1 player (Son) in that group that has really improved themselves as a player from 3 years ago. Most have significantly dropped off their performances.

Three years (season 2016-17) ago was Conte/Chelsea's year. That was the year of realization that some of those players needed to be improved upon. That was 2 years running that we came up short. And that year was our pinnacle under Poch. That was the year we needed reinforcements. That was the year for spending. And we saw it in the summer with the loss of Walker and that preseason game against City. We had no chance. We weren't good enough. The players weren't good enough. And they haven't improved.

You can have your gripes with Poch all you'd like. And know, I agree with many of them (as you can probably attest from my rating of your posts) and probably had come to those conclusions significantly earlier than most on this forum. But I don't think players being good enough, supported by efforts 3 years ago, is a fair stick with which to beat Poch. Many of these players aren't, weren't, and will never be good enough. And that determination can be made based on the empirical data of results.

The players were 'good enough' to come 2nd. Second means not 'good enough' to bring it home, 2 years running. Recruitment was necessary then to either pull improved performances from the established players via competition or produce it with better, new players.

Last edited:
Rewatched the highlights ( they were for Bayern) and there goals were all pretty much Brilliant, thought we would have learnt after the first couple not to give them time on the ball or space around the area, still sometimes every shot goes in, and on another night we might have only lost 6-2 so can’t complain to much I guess :troll:

He let a Bayern player run off him 3 times in the first 10 mins. New 4-year contract, but Poch says it was nothing to do with him. Worrying times.

He wasn't tracking runners against City earlier in the season either, and I and others on here called him out for it. He was excellent last season but his stock in trade is his work ethic which becomes entirely useless if you're not doing your job properly.

1 Diamond dont work( with this set of players)
2 Winks, Sissoko ,Ndombele are not defensively minded
3 Dier is not Ineista but it is what we are lacking big time, someone who defends naturally.
4 a loss is a loss , it just hurts more because of the numbers.
5 I am still a Yid and proud.
6 COYS

I feel sorry for Poch. What is he meant to do with a squad like this?
You make it sound as though he had nothing at all to do with the current squad being at the club and was simply handed them and told to 'get on with it'.(Please don't give me that "I am only the coach and should maybe get a new job description" crap that he fed to the media. FFS allocate some responsibility for performances and team morale onto Poch, he is the manager so what do you think it is that he should 'manage' ????. £8m a year is a lot of money to just train players to get fit and then dump them on a pitch every week and expect them to win.

Rewatched the highlights ( they were for Bayern) and there goals were all pretty much Brilliant, thought we would have learnt after the first couple not to give them time on the ball or space around the area, still sometimes every shot goes in, and on another night we might have only lost 6-2 so can’t complain to much I guess :troll:
That ball Toby sent lamely down the middle that cost us the 6th goal really hurts to watch back. Might as well have had a ribbon on it.

we all could see that Aurier wasn't covering right back, why not have got Dier on as RB early and shut up the back

Because Dier has been gash for ages and is going to be another Wanyama

Not that I’m saying Serge was any better

Back
Top Bottom