Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

All of this makes sense, nothing wrong with it.

I'm just amazed by the clip. I can't seem to understand the purpose of Kane
I thought he had a good game, poor first 5 mins or so where he lost possession every time in that period but he was involved in the first goal pulling both CB up the pitch. In fact, they were so concerned about him they chose to leave Son all on his own, who then ran at them time and again and should have got us on the score sheet again.

His move and shot that hit the post in the second half was so unlucky and had that gone in would have been a contender for goal of the season.

I thought he had a good game, poor first 5 mins or so where he lost possession every time in that period but he was involved in the first goal pulling both CB up the pitch. In fact, they were so concerned about him they chose to leave Son all on his own, who then ran at them time and again and should have got us on the score sheet again.

His move and shot that hit the post in the second half was so unlucky and had that gone in would have been a contender for goal of the season.

Unfortunately I wasn't impressed. I wanted him off at half time. And I guess that was because, I was feeling he was incapable of moving around. The link up when he hit the post and actually ran free was the best I've seen from him in a while. I just need some more passion and energy from him. ATM I'd be fine with giving Parrott some game time.

Unfortunately I wasn't impressed. I wanted him off at half time. And I guess that was because, I was feeling he was incapable of moving around. The link up when he hit the post and actually ran free was the best I've seen from him in a while. I just need some more passion and energy from him. ATM I'd be fine with giving Parrott some game time.
In our system Parrott would have done the same, he wouldn't have pressed because we are not pressing high. (You saw Parrott press in pre-season, that's because we were pressing-high. Kane was also doing it then).

Say Kane is a great player but not totally right for our system at the moment; as a pure hypothetical, if we were to sell Kane for something like 100mil who could we get that WOULD be ideal for us? (NOT saying at all that we should; just interested in the hypothetical)

If any of you follow the NBA I was really interested in what The Raptors did in trading DeRozan for Kawhi Leonard. At the time it seemed like a heartless and crazy gamble to give away a "one of our own" type player for a mercenary superstar but...then they won the championship...

It was trading a great player for a perfect player. And the Raptors were actually quite similar to Tottenham before the trade - always around the top, with a plucky squad without the big market/superstars but could never win at the very end.

So is there anyone out there (or 2 or 3 (a striker and a defender maybe)) who could be our Kawhi in this hypothetical.

Again, I am in no way saying that because of a few bad games we should get rid of the legend. Just really curious about discussions other than the typical roundabouts that seem to be going around.

Say Kane is a great player but not totally right for our system at the moment; as a pure hypothetical, if we were to sell Kane for something like 100mil who could we get that WOULD be ideal for us? (NOT saying at all that we should; just interested in the hypothetical)

If any of you follow the NBA I was really interested in what The Raptors did in trading DeRozan for Kawhi Leonard. At the time it seemed like a heartless and crazy gamble to give away a "one of our own" type player for a mercenary superstar but...then they won the championship...

It was trading a great player for a perfect player. And the Raptors were actually quite similar to Tottenham before the trade - always around the top, with a plucky squad without the big market/superstars but could never win at the very end.

So is there anyone out there (or 2 or 3 (a striker and a defender maybe)) who could be our Kawhi in this hypothetical.

Again, I am in no way saying that because of a few bad games we should get rid of the legend. Just really curious about discussions other than the typical roundabouts that seem to be going around.

Go and wash your mouth out with soap and water....:kaneshh:

Stick to basketball bud 👍

KANE TACKLES ATTEMPTED PER 90 MINUTES, BY SEASON
  • 2013-14 - 1.6
  • 2014-15 - 1.6
  • 2015-16 - 1.8
  • 2016-17 - 1.1
  • 2017-18 - 0.8
  • 2018-19 - 0.9
  • 2019-20 - 0.3
This season, by contrast, Tottenham’s front press has been anaemic.
The first 3 seasons are the number of a young player trying to impress to become the main striker. The last 4 seasons , especially this one so far are numbers of a player who thinks whatever I will do, I am the main player and will not be dropped no matter what.

Poch needs to reward players when they do well and put in the effort with first team starts and push back players who arent doing their all. Dropping Lucas for the CL final was a horrid mistake not just for the result of that match but also for team morale.

I think the problem with Kane is he is that good we all have extremely high standards for him. Personally, I thought he was really poor last night but he scored again and contributed to the goal. I feel he looked sluggish, I think this is a phrase that gets chucked in Kane's direction a lot when he doesn't have a good game but last night it was true. The last few years have been the first time in my life where we have had a reliable goal scoring striker. Keane, Berbatov, Defoe were all great players but none of them did it with the consistency of Kane. If any of them had a game like last night it would be a solid effort, but because we know Kane is one of the best strikers in the world and has a lot more to his game then just goals it was disappointing seeing him lose the ball so often and once again look to go to ground for a penalty rather than be brave and attack, not to mention his hesitation for the chance where he needlessly took a touch.

To me, a striker that creates a goal (via the deflection) and scores a penalty did his job well. His job is to score and create goals. If he is shit for 89 minutes, but created or scored 2-3 goals in the other minute, he was not “poor”.

Scoring goals is hard. A striker that scores and creates them is doing his job well.

The first 3 seasons are the number of a young player trying to impress to become the main striker. The last 4 seasons , especially this one so far are numbers of a player who thinks whatever I will do, I am the main player and will not be dropped no matter what.

Poch needs to reward players when they do well and put in the effort with first team starts and push back players who arent doing their all. Dropping Lucas for the CL final was a horrid mistake not just for the result of that match but also for team morale.

The CL final decision was horrific. I am still pissed at Poch for that. I don’t know how anyone reasonably benches the guy that got us I to the final.

Players do what the manager tells them to do or they don't play.

Sorry, but that's incredibly over-simplified.

If you drop Kane for enough games he will leave in the summer. Then people will be asking for Poch's head for not playing him. Club politics are a thing.

Sorry, but that's incredibly over-simplified.

If you drop Kane for enough games he will leave in the summer. Then people will be asking for Poch's head for not playing him. Club politics are a thing.

No, players do what their told to do. The minute they don't, either the manager or the player is finished at the club. The idea that Kane or anyone is just ignoring instructions is downright fucking stupid. Poch would lose all credibility with the squad.

In our system Parrott would have done the same, he wouldn't have pressed because we are not pressing high. (You saw Parrott press in pre-season, that's because we were pressing-high. Kane was also doing it then).
There were times when Son and Lamela were pressing high and when the ball came centrally, Woolwich evaded the press because Kane, who was supposed to press centrally, was just strolling around.

There were times when Son and Lamela were pressing high and when the ball came centrally, Woolwich evaded the press because Kane, who was supposed to press centrally, was just strolling around.
FFS, the definition of a high-press is to win the ball off the defence of the opposition when they have possession. We used to do this, we no longer do. The video shows us closing down players, to not give them time on the ball so that their pass might be hurried, which improves our chance of winning the 2nd ball, when eventually it goes long or into our mid-block.

We want them to play the ball, we are happy for them to have the ball, we make NO attempt to engage with the player on the ball, we want them to pass it and hopefully go long, or into their midfield where we have set our block, where we are ready to win it back. We are NOT attempting to win it high, because we are not engaging them, just closing them to provide pressure for them to pass it long. They can play it short but not through us, the aim is for them to pass it (hopefully hurried) into our block.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom