Villa H Sat 10 Aug 17:30 BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I hate that diamond too Totts, but it's hard to tell which out of the formation change, Eriksen's introduction and just the constant pressure told more.

I hate that diamond because Moura is not a CF for a start, he's got no composure and a pea brain, and just runs into legs the whole time, it makes us very narrow and easy to defend against, and one of the 8's has invariably Sissoko for the last year, who's fucking gash.

But if we switch to a 4231, it's going to mean Ndombele dropping back and having to do a lot more double pivot donkey work and less getting forward and doing purer 8 type stuff. Not the end of the world, he can do it, but I just do not understand why Poch will never entertain a 433.

Ndombele-------Winks--------Lo Celso

Moura/Son/Lamela--------Kane--------Son/Sess/Moura​
What would be your line-up if Eriksen stays? Btw I love a midfield 3 of Ndombele - Winks - Lo Celso and it's crazy that Winks is the oldest of those 3, still a lot of time to improve.

See the transfer window has brought in some fresh melts

We remain better with Eriksen

SausageVince SausageVince Turns out McGinn is a player after all. Ugly as sin mind but good shout, he can get play
McGinn has probably been talked about more here than any AV forums. I suppose we had a big head start....Vince has turned into a bit of a shit troll, but his advocacy of McGinn has been one of the more humorous chapters of TFC history.

Horrible horrible game until Eriksen came on....he gave balance to the team and suddenly everyone around him had a role.

Sissoko went back central and looked good again, and the midfield gained a shape and purpose.

Massive question marks for me over Pochettino and the first 70 minutes though.
A decent team and we’re finished there today.

Cannot be relying on one player so heavily, and he needs to start moulding others into a holding role.

Don't start this silly bullshit again, Sissoko was fucking atrocious today, and only looked OK in the last few minutes because by now we were camped in their third and their spirit had broke, and he had fuck all to do. If we were under pressure or if we are playing a decent team he's still shit there (see the CL final or the whole final third of last season where we took 11 points from 12 games).

Sissoko going back to CM2 today had absolutely fuck all to do with any up turn in performance in that game. And if we go back to playing 4231 Poch would be an absolute idiot if Sissoko keeps his place ahead of people like Winks, Ndombele or Skipp in it.

Poch going 4231, Eriksen coming on and just general constant pressure - we had 70% throughout - 30 odd shots - turned that game.

Just got home from the game.
Highlight of the day - meeting Mrs P, N.Naylor & Chucklevision in the Dispensary. 👍

What a frustrating game, but Villa tired dramaticallytowards the end and the pressure was finally toomuch for them. The introduction of Eriksen made a big difference - he brought a spark and a bit of bite to the attack.

I must say that the endless passing sideways for 70 minutes of the game was more than frustrating - it became annoying, especially to someone who was sitting a few rows away from the gloating moronic hoards of Villa supporters.

Luckily I predicted 3-1 before the game and at half time. I say 'luckily', because I think that scoreline flatters us.

Next week we need to be a very much better Spurs, or we could get a tonking.

Don't start this silly bullshit again, Sissoko was fucking atrocious today, and only looked OK in the last few minutes because by now we were camped in their third and their spirit had broke, and he had fuck all to do. If we were under pressure or if we are playing a decent team he's still shit there (see the CL final or the whole final third of last season where we took 11 points from 12 games).

Sissoko going back to CM2 today had absolutely fuck all to do with any up turn in performance in that game. And if we go back to playing 4231 Poch would be an absolute idiot if Sissoko keeps his place ahead of people like Winks, Ndombele or Skipp in it.

Poch going 4231, Eriksen coming on and just general constant pressure - we had 70% throughout - 30 odd shots - turned that game.
You're talking crap. Sissoko worked very hard and was good throughout the game.

Horrible horrible game until Eriksen came on....he gave balance to the team and suddenly everyone around him had a role.

Sissoko went back central and looked good again, and the midfield gained a shape and purpose.

Massive question marks for me over Pochettino and the first 70 minutes though.
A decent team and we’re finished there today.

Cannot be relying on one player so heavily, and he needs to start moulding others into a holding role.
Good summary mate.

Diamond could work against better teams, but it's useless against a parked bus.

Overall very pleased we won, but we need to clear the Toby/Eriksen/Jan issues before it becomes a bigger distraction.

What would be your line-up if Eriksen stays? Btw I love a midfield 3 of Ndombele - Winks - Lo Celso and it's crazy that Winks is the oldest of those 3, still a lot of time to improve.

Just realised in those line-ups I'd mentally already got Eriksen leaving. I honestly think with two 8's like ND and LC we almost could evolve into a different beast without Eriksen - and I say that as one of his biggest fans - but if he stays I guess you push him into one of the wide forward roles, and give him more license to drift maybe.

The thing is, with ND and LC you will have two 8's that can play the kind of incisive passes from midfield that Eriksen can, both have vision and the technical ability to play them. I think we have to evolve into something different because chances are Eriksen goes sooner or later anyway.

Poch's best team, 2016/17. PL 86 pts

Lloris
Dier Alderweireld Vertonghen
Walker Wanyama Dembele Rose
Eriksen Dele
Kane
3-4-2-1, could drop Wanyama and push Dier into midfield and go to a back 4. The side was balanced, powerful, could play and battle, the defence had plenty of protection. Going forward we were deadly

Poch has to sort out how to protect the back 4 again. Against a better team today we would have been blown away by half time

Oh saturday home games, how i've missed you.
Cream rises to the top.. What a dirty snide team Villa are, diving. time wasting and whining. Hope they fuck off back where they belong. As for Jack Grealish, what an overrated bag of shit he is, he was at fault for two of the goals and cost them the game. Hands up who said we should have gone all out to sign him?

Looked at some of the comments before we scored and my God some of you need to get a life, the knicker wetting was embarrassing. When will you realise there is 90 minutes in a game of football.

great start to the season and it was so good to be back at the worlds best stadium.

Buzzing about the result. Got tickets for my dads birthday, no better feeling to win after being behind.

Thought villa gave a good account of themselves, but was a difficult first half to watch. I’m worried about right back but thought KWP did okay, he did what he had to do. N’dombele.... what a debut! So so excited to see what he can do going forward. Great finish.

Harry Kane... no words are needed. Love the man!

On the opening day of the season I really couldn't give a shit how good or bad we are, it means nothing. Fitness, points and no injuries are what matters.

Liverpool might have won 4-1 and played well, but they've lost their first choice keeper as a result.

City might have won 5-0 but Sane is basically out for the season due to the Community Shield.

Out of Liverpool, City and Tottenham we've come out of it the best in these opening two weeks.
Rubbish, we are 5th , out of the CL spot. Going backwards.

KWP - outstanding game - amazing skills
NDombele - the goal was his saving grace - did not impress until then.
Sissoko - very good all round performance
Lamela - nothing like as influential as in pre-season games
Davinson Sanchez - excellent interceptions when needed
Toby - solid
Danny Rose - good performance
Winks - ineffective, poor game
Kane - was just Harry!
Lloris - didn't have much to do
Lucas - one of his more anonymous games

Back
Top Bottom