Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bale might be playing his final game for RM tonight against The Woolwich (kick off midnight / Eir sports 2/Premier Sports 1 / Real Madrid TV and SK1 Croatia) should Zidane decide to select him.
Be nice if he managed a hat trick....each half :thumbup:.

I simply do not understand the stupidity of The Woolwich. Zidane may not be the most popular football manager but neither is he the most stupid. He is under intense pressure to bring the title back to Real Madrid next season which means he cannot afford to take chances with players that are not yet ready for the heat of battle. He obviously feels Ceballos is one such player but he knows that potentially the guy could be a superstar.
So he turns down all offers for a permanent deal (including ours) and allows him to have a year at The Woolwich where he will undoubtedly enjoy regular first team premiership football. Then after one season where hopefully he has confirmed ZZ's faith in him by playing well and enjoying the adulation of the gooners fans...ZZ pulls the plug and he returns to Spain and a star studded future.

Meanwhile back at "you know where" they are scratching their heads and wondering how the fuck they replace him and also stop the marauding fans outside the ground protesting from ripping their heads off.

Ludicous loan fraught with disappointment.......... luvvly jubbly :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

One theory might be that Woolwich are not in a financially strong position currently (no CL football for another season effects budgets and rumours of them having very little to spend) so lets say Ceballos has a great season (and I think he is a really good, clever footballer) and helps them them qualify the CL, even if they lose him, they can reap the short term benefit of that and use the guaranteed extra revenue and CL qualification to improve their squad next summer.

It's the same model as Championship sides taking PL players on loan to help their promotion push I guess. If you can't go out and buy a player of that quality, it's possibly better to have that quality for one year than not at all?

I’d just like to know what most of your front page stories are saying?

One theory might be that Woolwich are not in a financially strong position currently (no CL football for another season effects budgets and rumours of them having very little to spend) so lets say Ceballos has a great season (and I think he is a really good, clever footballer) and helps them them qualify the CL, even if they lose him, they can reap the short term benefit of that and use the guaranteed extra revenue and CL qualification to improve their squad next summer.

It's the same model as Championship sides taking PL players on loan to help their promotion push I guess. If you can't go out and buy a player of that quality, it's possibly better to have that quality for one year than not at all?

Good call and fair comment.

£6.4m janssen £20m trippier £11m dembele, it's slowly totting up... Mind, £53.8m + £8.6m, still a fair way to go. Maybe we're not breaking even this year after all then.

Re your first sentence - Woolwich are the only leading club (say top 20) whose revenues shrank last year. Also beginning to lose a few sponsors.

So previous player purchases ( eg £50m player with a 5 year contract being paid for at £10m pa) which looked eminently financeable a few years ago have started to eat up all the available free cash flow in the next few years so it's difficult to buy new players.

They won't get out of that mess until they can offload a few high earners who aren't earning their keep....,

Think they will need to battle Manu Chelsea and possibly Wolves to grab ,4th spot. Not sure that one player like Ceballos will achieve that especially as their defence is their week area, especially as their captain and CB is jumping ship

Last edited:
FedererfedererfedererfedererFedererfedererfedererfedererFedererfedererfedererfedererFedererfedererfedererfedererFedererfedererfedererfedererFedererfedererfedererfedererFedererfedererfedererfedererFedererfedererfedererfedererFedererfedererfedererfedererFedererfedererfedererfedererFedererfedererfedererfedererFedererfedererfedererfederer

FedererfedererfedererfedererFedererfedererfedererfedererFedererfedererfedererfedererFedererfedererfedererfedererFedererfedererfedererfedererFedererfedererfedererfedererFedererfedererfedererfedererFedererfedererfedererfedererFedererfedererfedererfedererFedererfedererfedererfedererFedererfedererfedererfedererFedererfedererfedererfederer
Who does he play for?

Woolwich are victims of success and horrendous management ... success in the fact the maxed out their stadium size and revenue 10 years ago, 60,000 sold out with the highest ticket prices in the EPL left little room to grow ... add to that a management team of Gazidis and Wenger who managed to lose or sell cheap a dozen or more decent players, and they ran into a financial black hole .... the real killer was dropping our of the CL whilst keeping average players on massive salaries ...

Last six years have seen the big six achieve substantial revenue increases ... but Woolwich although growing did so at a much slower rate -

Spurs 135m > 380m
Dippers 170m > 450m
Utd 310m > 560m
City 230m > 460m
Chelsea 240m > 450m

So all growing by well over 200m .... and all still going up fast, we will be well past 400m for last year

Woolwich 250m > 390m just 130m and last year actually going down .... you simply can't spend money that you don't have FFP has made that very difficult ...

You can't sustain a competitive business when you can't manage a piss up in a brewery ... new owner and new management team might change that, but another season in the EL should with luck see them drop further behind ...

Utd are just huge - and City, Dippers, Chelsea, Spurs will have CL revenues this season ... poor little Woolwich hahahahahaha

Last edited:
Love this tweet -

Gives them so much empty hope

It's just like when we're at the jewelry store, and I ask the wife if getting what she's pointing at means a blowjob later, and she says, we'll talk tonight. Never happens anyway.

Okay, I'm not married, but I imagine that what it's like for you married guys :sonpoint:

Back
Top Bottom