We can be heroes champions league final 01/06/2019

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You're being blinded by the Scouser media wank off, have a look from a neutral perspective:

So the Media perspective trumps the Rules ... since when did that apply?

If you were even slightly conversant with European football you would know Marca are 100% anti VAR

But once again your missing the point -

I DON'T THINK IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A PENALTY, I BET EVEN SOME SCOUSERS WOULD AGREE

But that's irrelevant, abiding by the rules the game was played under the referee could and did give it, the referee was a scouse loving cunt, however that doesn't change the rule book and it's why VAR could not overrule his decision.

Bottom line whining like a scouser won't change a feckin' thing ... it just makes us look pathetic

How many teams can win the EPL - only one, does that mean the other 91 are all failures?

How many teams can win the CL - only one, does that mean the other 570 are all failures?

The very fact that we put ourselves in a position to win puts us ahead of 88 professional English clubs and 568 professional European clubs ...

and you think that's failing? get some perspective .....
Wish I'd said that!
:dierpochhug:

How many teams can win the EPL - only one, does that mean the other 91 are all failures?

How many teams can win the CL - only one, does that mean the other 570 are all failures?

The very fact that we put ourselves in a position to win puts us ahead of 88 professional English clubs and 568 professional European clubs ...

and you think that's failing? get some perspective .....
Only one can win the EPL, that means the other 19 are failures. 72 are in different leagues.

Regardless, Mrs P was saying that if trophies is all important go and support Man City. My argument is that if you have no aim to win a trophy, there is no point competing for it.

Bit here's a simple perspective for you. In 10 or 20 or 30 years time, if someone says "Who won the 2019 CL" the answer isn't, well Spurs were runners up and did better than 568 European clubs, the answer will simply be Liverpool. We won't be an afterthought.

Ultimately you remember the winners and thats what we should aim to be. What galls me at present is that a chance opened up. A team we've lost narrowly to twice when they were in great form played as bad as I can remember them doing for ages. Hell, they played far better last year and got humped. We had a great chance, an incredible chance to get the one prize that alludes us. Will we get that chance again? No one can say for certain. Will great players for us like Jan, Hugo, Danny ever get that chance again? Not sure.

At some stage we got to stop the "Ah but we did well" and pat ourselves on the back and decide. Are we happy being nearlymen, or do we want to be winners.

Ask yourself this. Do you think Poch, his staff and players are thinking we did better than some random club tonight ? Or are they thinking we had chances, we should be champions.

I hope my brain is not addled with fatigue and what I'm going to post makes sense.
Yes of course, I want us to win trophies and tonight was the best chance to capture the biggest prize in club football. However, if you have been watching the game as long as me, you know that it doesn't always play out the way we want it to.
I do believe we have had so many obstacles this year, that's it's a minor miracle that we have achieved as much as we have. I don't know why the team/management can't get over the final step that stops us winning a trophy, and like you, I'm hoping that if only we could break our duck, it may lead to a snowball effect.
But you have to be naive to think that we have the pulling power/money of the two Manchester clubs, Liverpool or even Chelsea at the moment. Another few decent runs in the CL will bridge the gap to a certain extent, and the income the new stadium will generate will also help. We are punching above our weight and have done so for the last three seasons.
I'm sure there's more milling around my head but can't think straight any more.
Suffice to say, I love this team and I love our manager, trophies or no trophies!
Again well put.

But how oftendo we keep churning out the "the journey's been great" and "punching above our weight" lines? We should have got to two FA Cup finals recently, we were the for team going into both with wins against the opponents. We lost twice. Last night we didn't even try to attack them ntil the last 15 minutes? Why?

If we do want to win things we need to think like winners, act like winners and be winners.

Sadly the plucky underdog mindset will lead us to one ultimate outcome.

I too love the club, I love Poch, his staff and the players. Hell, I even love Spurs fans, even the ones that cunt me off!!

But what's best for this club is to win something. I mean isn't that the true measure of success?

Only one can win the EPL, that means the other 19 are failures. 72 are in different leagues.

On that basis if we get relegated and don't qualify for the CL then we can't fail ... sounds like a pretty dumb plan ...

I don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks about Spurs or what they will think of the 2019 CL Final in 10,20,30 years time ... I will remember this season as the year we entered the best stadium in the world, the year we had the greatest European run arguably in the history of the club, and certainly in my 50+ years of watching Spurs ...

Enic, DL, Poch, the Coaching Staff, Players and Fans should all be very proud of what we've achieved this season, they should start getting down to planning with confidence how we plan to go one step further next year ... is that OK with you?

If you want to remember it as the season City did the treble and Liverpool won the CL ... then might I politely suggest you've got your supporting priorities all wrong ....

So the Media perspective trumps the Rules ... since when did that apply?

If you were even slightly conversant with European football you would know Marca are 100% anti VAR

But once again your missing the point -

I DON'T THINK IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A PENALTY, I BET EVEN SOME SCOUSERS WOULD AGREE

But that's irrelevant, abiding by the rules the game was played under the referee could and did give it, the referee was a scouse loving cunt, however that doesn't change the rule book and it's why VAR could not overrule his decision.

Bottom line whining like a scouser won't change a feckin' thing ... it just makes us look pathetic

Bullshit. The Champions League is the pinnacle of club football. And it was ruined by a twat of a referee who gave a ridiculous penalty after 30 seconds without even reviewing it. Liverpool are a very good team at defending a lead and they managed the game very well after that. If they scored a great goal, fair play, but a goal like that, from a penalty like like that... It made it a shit game. We lost tonight but football did too.

Bullshit. The Champions League is the pinnacle of club football. And it was ruined by a twat of a referee who gave a ridiculous penalty after 30 seconds without even reviewing it. Liverpool are a very good team at defending a lead and they managed the game very well after that. If they scored a great goal, fair play, but a goal like that, from a penalty like like that... It made it a shit game. We lost tonight but football did too.

Whatever ... go post on RAWK you'll fit right in .....

On that basis if we get relegated and don't qualify for the CL then we can't fail ... sounds like a pretty dumb plan ...

I don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks about Spurs or what they will think of the 2019 CL Final in 10,20,30 years time ... I will remember this season as the year we entered the best stadium in the world, the year we had the greatest European run arguably in the history of the club, and certainly in my 50+ years of watching Spurs ...

Enic, DL, Poch, the Coaching Staff, Players and Fans should all be very proud of what we've achieved this season, they should start getting down to planning with confidence how we plan to go one step further next year ... is that OK with you?

If you want to remember it as the season City did the treble and Liverpool won the CL ... then might I politely suggest you've got your supporting priorities all wrong ....
Fuck me genius, you really are twisted.

I say winning is important, you tell me it's not, then ask me if it's ok if the team tries to improve and win next season?

Fucking hell.

Fuck me genius, you really are twisted.

I say winning is important, you tell me it's not, then ask me if it's ok if the team tries to improve and win next season?

Fucking hell.

No mate ... you took what has been an epic season for us and tried to turn it into a failure ... why suck the joy out of life? ... how many times have we played in the CL Final? and yet you want to shit all over that?

Fucking Hell indeed ........

Back in Valencia after a lot of driving in contemplative silence. Have to get up in 3 hours for 2 flights home. Day seemed set up for something special. We just couldn’t find a spark or finesse in the final third. Stupid long break before the match and now stupid international football. Players need to get away from football. Wonder who I won’t see in our colours again. It’s been a blast with this squad but it’s time for a change. Our support looked beautiful all around our end with sooo many flags.

Absolutely gutted.

Ref was a C.

Liverpool. Fucking Liverpool.

Do you understand how VAR works? They constantly check decisions and if the VAR team thought it wasn’t a penalty then they would instruct the ref to check it. The reason why the ref didn’t check it is because the VAR team confirmed his decision over his earpiece. Grow up and stop being a bitter RAWK style embarrassment.

Do you understand how VAR works? They constantly check decisions and if the VAR team thought it wasn’t a penalty then they would instruct the ref to check it. The reason why the ref didn’t check it is because the VAR team confirmed his decision over his earpiece. Grow up and stop being a bitter RAWK style embarrassment.

A quick check of your post history reveals you think we should sell Harry Kane, plus a hell of a lot of negativity about the club in general - so, especially as you have a pretty low post count of mostly negative shit, I'd shut the fuck up you little cunt if I were you, as your status as a genuine Spurs fan is pretty dubious.

Go and support Man Citeh if all you care about is winning trophies. You really need to appreciate what this team and manager has gone through this year and we still managed top 4, securing CL qualification and making a CL Final. You can rail against the modern game as much as you like, but this is the reality of football today - without CL, you're buggered.
It seems to me like the establishment just find ways to counter our progress - we knock Woolwich down to Thursday nights and catch up to them in stadium revenue ... Never mind says their kit sponsor, here's a supposed £90m contract to help you ride it out whether you're worth the investment or not.
Meanwhile our guys work their socks off to make Nike take enough notice to offer a £30m deal.

Again well put.

But how oftendo we keep churning out the "the journey's been great" and "punching above our weight" lines? We should have got to two FA Cup finals recently, we were the for team going into both with wins against the opponents. We lost twice. Last night we didn't even try to attack them ntil the last 15 minutes? Why?

If we do want to win things we need to think like winners, act like winners and be winners.

Sadly the plucky underdog mindset will lead us to one ultimate outcome.

I too love the club, I love Poch, his staff and the players. Hell, I even love Spurs fans, even the ones that cunt me off!!

But what's best for this club is to win something. I mean isn't that the true measure of success?

I don't think it's fair to suggest a lack of effort. Liverpool were blessed with the opportunity to defend with the back 7 of their 433. Then consider their defensive record this season. We simply needed to be better in attack. No spurs, by their own standards, could boast quality attacking end product tonight.

Genuine question:

....Beyond the fans (I'd like to think most of us 'believe' to whatever extent) how do you propose instilling a winner's mentality into the team? I'm sure there's plenty of rowdy chest-beating that goes on in the dressing room already.

.....It's a quandary why so many clubs dry up in certain situations (see England - This isn't a Spurs-exclusive phenomena) and whilst 'Winners mentality' represents an entirely plausible concept, it's less tangible than it sounds when you consider the pitfalls of balancing arrogance, complacency + the unavoidable fact that collectively we haven't actually been 'winners' yet.

I'd advocate giving sports psychology a whirl if we're not already tapped into that kind of thing, but i have no brighter ideas.

We keep conceding early goals and one day will hurt us like today
I love Sissoko and has been wonderful this season but which players puts his hand up in the box! I never blame him for the loss tonight bracause mistake does happen in football and we had 88mins and couldn’t score.

Back
Top Bottom