Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Them and scum spent 74M each last summer.

Scott thinks it doesn’t matter who you buy
Yes, I do find this preoccupation with the price, not the quality of the player, a bit bemusing - as if simply spending a lot guarantees success. I’m not knocking spending money, but it has to be done wisely. Utd are a prime example of what not to do. They’ve spent fortunes and are getting worse.

So losing 5 in a row away to our rivals makes everything OK.
No worries.
thats not what I said. as per usual you are interpreting it to suit yourself

however, if you are a top six side, you would expect to win your home games against the others in the top six, would you not?

something has to give...

We SHOULD be beating Bournemouth, Burnley and Southampton.
Then again, City should be beating Crystal Palace at home as well.

I go back and watch old matches hear former stories and read about the past.

The most important parts of History tend to be kept alive and the mediocrity forgotten.

......But then there's personal EXPERIENCEs and 1st hand memories.

Gazza's FK, 5-1 vs Scum, 4-4 Emirates, CL qualification over City, Taxi for Maicon, Away at AC (eg) memories that give me goose bumps that I'll take to the grave.... How can old YT clips ever tangibly get one close to that same degree of connection as living such things?

Just musing to be honest, although I do find your use of the word "mediocrity" at the end a bit baffling....?

I'm talking about excellent teams through the years....

That was me. The context of the comment was to point out how thin the margins are between success and failure. If that VAR hadn’t been given, we’d be saying we’d taken a good kicking by City in the second leg, no matter how heroic the performance was. And it was and I was screaming with the rest of you when we won through.

If that goal had stood, we’d be having an awful end to the season and the fact it didn’t shouldn’t really hide that we actually are having a terrible run.
then you should go back and find every rotten decision we've had both over this season (Son pen, last minute at wembley, as an example), and on that specific run and give them the if and but treatment too

Yes, I do find this preoccupation with the price, not the quality of the player, a bit bemusing - as if simply spending a lot guarantees success. I’m not knocking spending money, but it has to be done wisely. Utd are a prime example of what not to do. They’ve spent fortunes and are getting worse.

Arse made a pigs ear of Auntie Wenger's much fabbled warchest too.

So losing 5 in a row away to our rivals makes everything OK.
No worries.
thats not what I said. as per usual you are interpreting it to suit yourself
Right. So losing 9 out of our last 10 away games, including 5 in a row to our rivals is not ok.
So we agree with each other. And it was a valid point for me to raise.
So why are you trying to argue about something we agree on?

:dierpochhug:

Right. So losing 9 out of our last 10 away games, including 5 in a row to our rivals is not ok.
So we agree with each other. And it was a valid point for me to raise.
So why are you trying to argue about something we agree on?

:dierpochhug:
all I did was added some context.

btw: you forgot to add this bit when you quoted me, cos again, its some context...

however, if you are a top six side, you would expect to win your home games against the others in the top six, would you not?

all I did was added some context.

btw: you forgot to add this bit when you quoted me, cos again, its some context...
But that's not relevant to the point. Which was that losing 9 out of 10 away games against any opposition suggests a poor run off form that in my opinion, our lack of any new additions since January 18 is a major contributing factor.
If the teams around us hadn't fucked up so badly that statistic would have cost us dearly. Surely you would acknowledge that?
Or are we to credit Levy for the other teams fluffing their lines too?

But that's not relevant to the point. Which was that losing 9 out of 10 away games against any opposition suggests a poor run off form that in my opinion, our lack of any new additions since January 18 is a major contributing factor.
If the teams around us hadn't fucked up so badly that statistic would have cost us dearly. Surely you would acknowledge that?
Or are we to credit Levy for the other teams fluffing their lines too?

It's a combination. Fatigue,which is clearly influenced by an extraordinary amount of injuries are the major factors. And in these days of squad sizes limited by the laws of the game, whilst lack of transfers would have an effect, it's not going to be the major influence you think it is. ( And not the fault of one individual either. That's just your usual agenda)

Because if it was, we would have finished 6th. All those rivals that fucked up did spend money.

And my comment is totally relevant to the point .you play quality sides in their own house, your expectancy of winning reduces. That's why playing at home is considered an advantage

In other news... take a look at the vid of the post-match interview further down the page...
Two finals ahead - Mauricio

Skip to 0.54 seconds onwards....
someone has an eye for the Ladieeeeeees! :pochsmirk:
...and not just once, but
all four times... up and down!

Last edited:
I am going to guess poch can't deny our squad was too weak to cope with the last few months of the season. & we will need to strengthen the squad like we should have obviously done last year. & even levy won't wanna make poch mad by denying him a fair budget. Poch "dont make me mad Daniel, cause you don't wanna see me mad".
I'd be scared of an angry poch, that's for sure.
This will avoid being shocked when for the umpteenth season in a row we barely play our best 11. INJURIES are a big feature of every team. Also there are a lot more games now so FATIGUE plays a factor. Which all means you end up playing UNFIT players or ones still carrying an injury. The other issue has been players seemingly coasting due to a LACK OF COMPETITION.

The main way to combat all 4 of these problems Is a better squad which is through buying players & bringing through youngsters. Obviously you can't expect to bring through all these players so you need to buy every summer.

We have top 4 & that's even better now that I know theres no CL play off place for 4th.
CL semi with a decent shot of making the final. & a last game at our new stadium we can enjoy without anything massive riding on it. Although 3rd ahead of Chelsea would be a nice bonus. So whatever happens in the last week, we can be very proud & happy with season 2018/19.

As for after the season ends, poch has said we will need a painful rebuild this summer. That's the logical thing to do & it is overdue. I also think he will never make the mistake of signing no one again.

I am going to guess poch can't deny our squad was too weak to cope with the last few months of the season. & we will need to strengthen the squad like we should have obviously done last year. & even levy won't wanna make poch mad by denying him a fair budget. Poch "dont make me mad Daniel, cause you don't wanna see me mad".
I'd be scared of an angry poch, that's for sure.
This will avoid being shocked when for the umpteenth season in a row we barely play our best 11. INJURIES are a big feature of every team. Also there are a lot more games now so FATIGUE plays a factor. Which all means you end up playing UNFIT players or ones still carrying an injury. The other issue has been players seemingly coasting due to a LACK OF COMPETITION.

The main way to combat all 4 of these problems Is a better squad which is through buying players & bringing through youngsters. Obviously you can't expect to bring through all these players so you need to buy every summer.

We have top 4 & that's even better now that I know theres no CL play off place for 4th.
CL semi with a decent shot of making the final. & a last game at our new stadium we can enjoy without anything massive riding on it. Although 3rd ahead of Chelsea would be a nice bonus. So whatever happens in the last week, we can be very proud & happy with season 2018/19.

As for after the season ends, poch has said we will need a painful rebuild this summer. That's the logical thing to do & it is overdue. I also think he will never make the mistake of signing no one again.
If the rumours are true that Levy had a deal for Tielemans all but done in January but dropped it because Poch said no then I'd say it is fairly certain that Levy does what Poch tells him in regards to transfers as much as possible.

Hopefully Poch and Levy have both learned from this. Levy to fish with a wider net. Poch to not be as stubborn.

If the rumours are true that Levy had a deal for Tielemans all but done in January but dropped it because Poch said no then I'd say it is fairly certain that Levy does what Poch tells him in regards to transfers as much as possible.

Hopefully Poch and Levy have both learned from this. Levy to fish with a wider net. Poch to not be as stubborn.
Mostly agree. That's why I ended with saying I don't think poch will make the mistake of not signing anyone again. Whether he is being too picky or lost confidence in his ability to choose players, I am not sure.
I still think levy is a bigger factor in us not signing players. I dont think levy just does what poch says with regard to transfers. There will be a limited budget.
Levy is well known for being tight when it comes to net spend , overvaluing our players & undervaluing other team players. As well as very difficult to deal with. He also draws out transfer sagas & can be very stubborn even over a few million.
He also seems very out of touch with modern day prices & valuations.
I'd say 80% on levy & 20% on poch.

Last edited:
I still think levy is a bigger factor in us not signing players. He is well known for being tight when it comes to net spend , overvaluing our players & undervaluing other team players. As well as very difficult to deal with. He also draws out transfer sagas & can be very stubborn even over a few million.
He also seems very out of touch with modern day prices & valuations.
I'd say 80% on levy & 20% on poch.
I guess this comes down to who has dealt with him. Bale's agent (who is also the agent of Davies and Trippier) recently did a interview with the BBC where he said that Levy was the best and easiest chairman he has had to deal with. A strict negotiator, but not one to try and go late and to change things late on. He said that once you had a deal, Levy always stuck by it.

Maybe we should just do all our business with him then. A look at his player portfolio and it is not bad. Saul, Maxi Gomez, Loftus-Cheek, Chilwell, Shaw, Grealish, Lewis Cook, Joachim Andersen (who we are linked with), Ward-Prowse, Pope, Tierney, Dunk etc. This last paragraph started as a bit of a joke but this agent has a fair few good players to his name.

But if you are someone that Levy doesn't like doing business with I can totally see him being very snide. You don't become as succesful a businessman as he is within knowing when to be snide and when to be easy.

Last edited:
I guess this comes down to who has dealt with him. Bale's agent (who is also the agent of Davies and Trippier) recently did a interview with the BBC where he said that Levy was the best and easiest chairman he has had to deal with. A strict negotiator, but not one to try and go late and to change things late on. He said that once you had a deal, Levy always stuck by it.

Maybe we should just do all our business with him then. A look at his player portfolio and it is not bad. Saul, Maxi Gomez, Loftus-Cheek, Chilwell, Shaw, Grealish, Lewis Cook, Joachim Andersen (who we are linked with), Ward-Prowse, Pope, Tierney, Dunk etc. This last paragraph started as a bit of a joke but this agent has a fair few good players to his name.

But if you are someone that Levy doesn't like doing business with I can totally see him being very snide. You don't become as succesful a businessman as he is within knowing when to be snide and when to be easy.
Yeah I'd take a few of those players. Many have said levy is a hard negotiator so that will mean we lose out a lot especially over a few million which is wrong in my opinion. Most will just go elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom