Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In what way?

How would Gattuso firstly stop Sanchez fucking up a header against the Scum, then have the pace to catch Ramsey, then make Hugo narrow the angle better?

How would he make Hugo not run 40 meters off his line and conceded after 1 minute against Barca?

A DM may well cover the defense, but by your argument we could just as well upgrade Jan and Toby and also protect Hugo better.
Seeing as they are the CBs
It's systematic.

Our system and style of play relies on a defensive midfielder that acts as a shield between the backline and the more forward running midfielders. That covers space and lessens the area that oppossing players have to work with. This in turn ensures that the defenders have more clear cut areas to work within and roles to play in the system. Which in turns means that the goalkeeper has a more defined area to work in as well. Everyone knows their role and performs it.

Our defense has seen more individual errors this season because the system has not worked. Without a clear cut DM to perform those tasks our other midfield players are stretched because they have to cover more ground, which creates more space for oppossing midfielders to work in, which in turn means that our defenders have to cover more ground and open themselves up for errors and mistakes as well.

Individual errors and brainfarts will still happen even within a well functioning system. But it is pretty clear that this year our midfield has been stretched thin which has disrupted our playing system.

We need a DM because it allows the defenders to focus on defending, and the CMs/AMs to focus on moving the ball up field.

It's systematic.

Our system and style of play relies on a defensive midfielder that acts as a shield between the backline and the more forward running midfielders. That covers space and lessens the area that oppossing players have to work with. This in turn ensures that the defenders have more clear cut areas to work within and roles to play in the system. Which in turns means that the goalkeeper has a more defined area to work in as well. Everyone knows their role and performs it.

Our defense has seen more individual errors this season because the system has not worked. Without a clear cut DM to perform those tasks our other midfield players are stretched because they have to cover more ground, which creates more space for oppossing midfielders to work in, which in turn means that our defenders have to cover more ground and open themselves up for errors and mistakes as well.

Individual errors and brainfarts will still happen even within a well functioning system. But it is pretty clear that this year our midfield has been stretched thin which has disrupted our playing system.

We need a DM because it allows the defenders to focus on defending, and the CMs/AMs to focus on moving the ball up field.

But for the the games that have put us in this mess, that we should have won, have been Wolves, Utd, Burnley and Saints

We had 64 shots
We had 37 corners
Possession was:
63%
70%
61%
61%

We scored 3 goals

The stats are similar for the games we’ve won in that time, so that says to me that when the forwards are more decisive, our defensive “frailties” aren’t costing us.

We aren’t getting hammered. We generally lose by a goal or two at the most. Our problems in the final third are the problem because most of the goals we let in should be consolation goals.

We should have been 6-0 up when Southampton scores.

But for the the games that have put us in this mess, that we should have won, have been Wolves, Utd, Burnley and Saints

We had 64 shots
We had 37 corners
Possession was:
63%
70%
61%
61%

We scored 3 goals

The stats are similar for the games we’ve won in that time, so that says to me that when the forwards are more decisive, our defensive “frailties” aren’t costing us.

We aren’t getting hammered. We generally lose by a goal or two at the most. Our problems in the final third are the problem because most of the goals we let in should be consolation goals.

There’s also the issue of quantity vs Quality.

We had 26 shots on Wednesday. An X/g of 2.

But sure....let’s just have a couple of training cones for midfield...

We had 64 shots
We had 37 corners
Possession was:
63%
70%
61%
61%

We scored 3 goals

In my opinion our attacking play is also being hurt by our system not operating at full force right now. As I said earlier with the lack of a proper DM our midfield is disjointed. Dele and Eriksen have to drop deeper during games and perform different duties, which causes Kane to drop deeper as a result of that and Son/Moura/Lamela/whoever operates next to him also gets disjointed. But that's just my view of it all. As much as we can talk about total football I view football as a whole and our style of play in particular as reliant on a set system with set roles that have to be performed. And when one cog in said machine is missing we cannot operate at full speed.

Back to Sissoko however since this is really a discussion for another thread. Immense season. Proper workhorse.

We had 64 shots
We had 37 corners
Possession was:
63%
70%
61%
61%

We scored 3 goals

Poor finishing has been a bigger problem than any other this season. The Southampton game you pointed out being the worst one.

After watching Sissoko run down and dispossess Zaha (I think) I am wondering if Sissoko might not be better as a defender. He has great pace and is very physical. But, his final passes and shooting are terrible. Why is he playing forward?

I thought this was his best game for us. As with everyone else he was very disciplined holding his shape in the team. Defensively he tracked and stopped so much. But what made this game his best was he showed for the ball, constantly was an option for the man on the ball, he also confidently moved the ball, no stuttering before passing it, he flowed, you didn't see any hesitation in what he did, he just committed to it and did it!!

Love how he just runs with the ball from a defensive situation and gets the ball to the front 4. Hes turning into a sort of Dembele but with less control of the ball.

Also noticed how hes almost always our most defensive player when we have corners to stop any counters. Not much goes past him.

Back
Top Bottom