Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If Poch doesn't want a technical director then don't get one.

His signings have been fine. No manager has all hits ffs. And it's more noticeable when we have flops as we don't just buy again to replace.

Give him as much power as possible so he can build his own dictatorship Fergie style his way.
He's more than earned the right to.

Tottenham's next signing should be a technical director to future-proof their incredible progress

Tottenham Hotspur announced they would finally move into their new stadium next month just as the club’s qualification for the Champions League was put in serious danger.

Defeat at Southampton was their third in four Premier League games, and Spurs have taken only one point from 12, leaving them in a fight to remain in the top four.

The here and now will be what concerns manager Mauricio Pochettinoover the next three weeks before his team play again, against Liverpool at Anfield, while chairman Daniel Levy is putting the finishing touches to the stadium opening.

But who has been working towards trying to future-proof Tottenham’s incredible progress under Pochettino? And who is putting a plan together in case he and Harry Kane eventually leave?

There may be answers inside the club, but the evidence of the past 12 months is that Tottenham are one of several who should consider the merits of hiring a technical or sporting director.

Pochettino was said to be against such an appointment when it was last considered after the departure of Paul Mitchell, and Steve Hitchen took up a new chief scout role as part of a restructuring of the football operations. But there is some proof that Spurs have taken their eye off the ball in terms of squad turnover and preparation.

The average age is creeping up. Erik Lamela turned 27 last Monday, becoming the 12th Tottenham player aged 27 or over. Of Pochettino’s regularly picks, only Juan Foyth and Oliver Skipp are 21 or under. Kyle Walker-Peters played against Southampton, but that was only his fourth League start. Foyth could not be registered for the group stages of the Champions League because Spurs are a home-grown player short, highlighting poor planning.

They could lose Toby Alderweireld for £25 million at the end of this season if a clause in his contract is triggered, and are yet to agree a new deal with Christian Eriksen, whose recent performances have dipped significantly, prompting questions that the uncertainty about his future has damaged his form.

Then there is Pochettino himself, who has sent out so many mixed messages that reporters are left wondering if they are coming or going, let alone trying to decipher whether he is hinting he will leave or stay. There was more of it before the Southampton game as the Argentine, in an interview with Spanish media, confirmed a desire to one day return to La Liga – just as Real Madrid prepare to make their latest change.

Nobody can question Pochettino’s commitment to Spurs. He could have moaned and groaned his way through this season but has largely remained positive, and progress has once again been made through qualification for the Champions League quarter-finals.

But what happens when he inevitably turns around and tells Spurs he fancies a new challenge? Or, as his team-mates fear, Kane decides it is time to add trophies to his personal achievements and looks elsewhere?

Does Levy have a succession plan in mind if Pochettino walks away, and does he know how the club might spend the £200 million they would demand for Kane?

Last time Tottenham received a big windfall, for Gareth Bale, they went on a seven-man shopping spree, with mixed results.

Former director of football Franco Baldini was accused of wasting the money and eventually left Tottenham at the end of Pochettino’s first season in charge.

History would suggest that Baldini did not do as badly as some said at the time, and there is not much evidence to suggest the club have improved dramatically in that department since his departure.

Alderweireld, Son Heung-min and, potentially, Davinson Sánchez can be seen as signing successes while Pochettino has been in charge, but there have been as many flops – Vincent Janssen, Clinton N’Jie, Georges-Kevin Nkoudou and Kevin Wimmer.

All clubs get signings right and wrong, and hiring a new sporting director would not give Tottenham any greater guarantees of finding more hits than misses.

But given how exciting Spurs believe the future in their new stadium can be, it might make sense for someone to be put in charge of it.

Tottenham's next signing should be a technical director to future-proof their incredible progress

I’ll be the technical director. Trust me, I wouldn’t have signed players like GKN and Janssen. My targets are gettable and won’t be the 100£ signings. We need depth more than anything and I think we can find quality depth for a reasonable price.

Sure we want the shiny new toys, but I think there is worth in some proven veterans too, especially with our title ambitions.

Young and worth the splash:
- Jadon
- Havertz

Young and mid level expensive:
- Diawara
- Grealish
- Mendy
- Ziyich
- Van De Beek

Vets that have a couple more years in them:
- Banega
- Aranguiz

I know many or quite a few of the pundits have backed our nonsensical transfer policy (the one trophy we could have claimed had it been given one) because we were running Liverpool and City close

In my honest opinion we give the impression of not having a fcuking clue where we are going on the playing side.

James Ward-Prowse
Grealish
Doucoure
Wan- Bissaka

All signings I think we should be after, will improve us and are within our capture zone.

The saints fans biggest complaint about Poch was his signings when he was in charge.

I am not sure how much weight that argument holds however because they all seemed fairly decent (Osvaldo aside.)

I do think we need someone above Poch negotiating with Levy though for signings at this point.

Pochettino's signings at Southampton:

Veggard Foren
Dejan Lovren
Victor Wanyama
Pablo Osvaldo

Veggard Foren
Dejan Lovren
Victor Wanyama
Pablo Osvaldo

I have absolutely no issue with the signings Pochettino has made as a collective. We may have had better individual talent on occasions in the past but we were never as consistent points wise in the league so I'm all good with the overall feel of his moves given that every manager signs good and bad.

Most players Poch has signed I absolutely see why he went for them bar one or two. Some haven't lived up to expectation but I definitely see little flashes in their play and solid seeming personalities that made him take a punt on them. I just think the teams ran out of puff and belief at a crucial time, the seeds of doubt are planted and they desperately need to change that as it will be a huge shame if this is how the team starts getting broken up

You’re kidding me right? You think none of those players improve us?
James Ward Prowse because he scored a free kick?
Jack Grealish because he scored one wonder goal for a mid table Championship side that haven't shown anything to suggest they are anyway better than those round them in the league?
Doucore might improve us, but then there is a host of far better players for less money than him would do so too.
Wan Bissaka seems well regarded on this board, but then so does Jack Grealish, so I'll hold fire on that.

The saints fans biggest complaint about Poch was his signings when he was in charge.

I am not sure how much weight that argument holds however because they all seemed fairly decent (Osvaldo aside.)

I do think we need someone above Poch negotiating with Levy though for signings at this point.

Someone to take some of the trf leg-work from Levy cool.... But you want Poch to essentially have less say on trfs?

(Not sure what 'negotiations' you'd be alluding to otherwise.....)

If Poch don't like 'em they won't get a game so let's not waste time and money on players he hasn't approved.

I’ll be the technical director. Trust me, I wouldn’t have signed players like GKN and Janssen. My targets are gettable and won’t be the 100£ signings. We need depth more than anything and I think we can find quality depth for a reasonable price.

Sure we want the shiny new toys, but I think there is worth in some proven veterans too, especially with our title ambitions.

Young and worth the splash:
- Jadon
- Havertz

Young and mid level expensive:
- Diawara
- Grealish
- Mendy
- Ziyich
- Van De Beek

Vets that have a couple more years in them:
- Banega
- Aranguiz

Yep. It's that easy. :)

Veggard Foren
Dejan Lovren
Victor Wanyama
Pablo Osvaldo

I think the only one of those that would have been driven by Pochettino would have been Osvaldo, who he'd signed previously at Espanyol - and he signed him for Southampton knowing he'd had to be jettisoned from Espanyol for causing shit in training - and he promptly went and did the same at Southampton, they virtually had to give him away to get him out of the club, after being their record signing.

I know nothing about Foren, but Southampton were very analytics/scouting driven and made some good business.

Back
Top Bottom