Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley (Turf Moor, 23rd Feb 2019, 12:30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He needs a goal or two to get that monkey off his back. At this point I would probably bring him on as a second half sub to have him run against tired legs. That seems to be when he has the most impact right now.

You are 100% correct about needing a goal and he nearly pulled it off early in the CL. After that he was bog average. Sadly. As i do rate the guy. Maybe as you say, bring him late in the game and not start him. Lets see which way Poch goes.

You are 100% correct about needing a goal and he nearly pulled it off early in the CL. After that he was bog average. Sadly. As i do rate the guy. Maybe as you say, bring him late in the game and not start him. Lets see which way Poch goes.
I think that right now it is the easiest way to get the most out of him in our system. He's not adapted enough yet to playing as a central striker for a full game so better to throw him on in the second half once the oppossing defenders have tired a bit.

He needs a goal or two to get that monkey off his back. At this point I would probably bring him on as a second half sub to have him run against tired legs. That seems to be when he has the most impact right now.

Moura should be better.

Started the season well and then has flitted in and out. Too similar to Lamela in terms of not forcing a place for himself in the side.

Depends what formation we play but likely to start on the bench.

Moura should be better.

Started the season well and then has flitted in and out. Too similar to Lamela in terms of not forcing a place for himself in the side.

Depends what formation we play but likely to start on the bench.

Some players need a run of games to get into the swing of it and the pace of the game.

Lucas hasn't really had a 4-5 game run where he's been able to find a rhythm but will the team winning at the moment, I'm not overly fussed about him being somewhat of a peripheral figure as games pass him by.

If we get 10-15 goals out of him as a backup, I'm pretty happy with that

Last edited:
Some players need a run of games to get into the swing of it and the pace of the game.

Lucas hasn't really had a 4-5 game run where he's been able to find a rhythm but will the team winning at the moment, I'm not overly fussed about him being somewhat of a peripheral figure as games pass him by.

I’m surprised he hasn’t played more.

When he had that hot run at the beginning of the season I thought Poch would give him more game time.

Not sure, I entirely agree.

He started our opening 12 league games and I assume he probably didn't impress Pochettino with his overall game as he's only started 5 out of 14 league games since.

He has scored 1 league goal since the 5th December and got zero assists within that time. Obviously coming in and out of the team in our last 14 games probably hasn't helped his rhythm but I do think Pochettino probably realises he isn't entirely good enough to be starting games for us but is a very useful squad player due to his pace and he DOES work hard.

Meanwhile the best stretch of games Lamela has had this season was 4 starts in a row between 20th October and 10th November in which he scored 2 goals. One of which a winner away from home. Since then he's started just 3 league games, contributing the same amount of goals Lucas has in that same period (1).

Both seem to have gone off the boil a bit though and not really contributing much other than being an extra body. I think both should be looking for a goal involvement of at least 10-15 goals for us in the league as squad players to help us along our way.

Lucas has a goal involvement of 6 so far this season (6G: 0A)
Lamela also has a goal involvement of 6 so far this season (4G; 2A)

4 points from our next 2 games and I feel we knock Chelsea out of our radar in terms of 4th place.

6 points and top 4 at least is all but set.

9 points or even 7 when you include the Woolwich match and I think we will be within 4 points of top, whoever is at the summit.

Starts tomorrow and we need to be ready.

Back 5 if Kane starts. Back 4 if he is on the bench.

-----------------Lloris----------------
Trippier---Toby-----Jan---Rose
------------Dier----Sissoko--------
Lucas-------Eriksen----------Son
--------------Llorente---------------

Subs - Gazza, Aurier, Foyth, Sanchez, Winks, Lamela, Kane

2-1 (Lucas & Kane)

Got a bad feeling about this one given the negative opponent and the fact we rarely play well when we have an extended break. Can just envisage a turgid, typical early kick-off draw which fucks my mood the whole weekend...Please do the business Spurs, at em straight away and alleviate my fears. Kane's return a positive of course.

Doesn't have to be pretty, but such a must-win game for so many reasons. COYS!

Got a bad feeling about this one given the negative opponent and the fact we rarely play well when we have an extended break. Can just envisage a turgid, typical early kick-off draw which fucks my mood the whole weekend...Please do the business Spurs, at em straight away and alleviate my fears. Kane's return a positive of course.

Doesn't have to be pretty, but such a must-win game for so many reasons. COYS!

The winner against Burnley earlier in the season is one of my favourite goals of the season so far.
Oh boy that was something else, it was like 70,000 in the stadium having you know what at the same time. We were pushing and pushing and it happened eventually.
Joe Harts was delaying so much and after conceding he was running like a headless chicken to get the ball ...

Back
Top Bottom