Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Keep in mind he's only 22 years old. What I see in Sanchez is a willingness to keep his head down, learn, and improve. This is the type of player Poch likes best. Sanchez has all the physical qualities and more for the position. He only needs to improve his technique and that is easier to coach into a player. I also think he is very mentally fit for the position. He rarely loses his head and, while his decision-making could improve, he manages the game well enough.
I have seen Sanchez grow in confidence game by game. It used to be that when he got the ball he always looked to pass back to Loris. Now he seems much more confident with the ball at this feet. I think he will come good.

I have seen Sanchez grow in confidence game by game. It used to be that when he got the ball he always looked to pass back to Loris. Now he seems much more confident with the ball at this feet. I think he will come good.
And that’s exactly what it takes at that position, right? Experience. It’s not like attacking where it’s more about imagination and flair. Rarely do you ever see a 20 year old break through at CB for a top side like you have with Mbappe or Sancho, etc. I think Sanchez is ahead of the curve in that respect.

Keep in mind he's only 22 years old. What I see in Sanchez is a willingness to keep his head down, learn, and improve. This is the type of player Poch likes best. Sanchez has all the physical qualities and more for the position. He only needs to improve his technique and that is easier to coach into a player. I also think he is very mentally fit for the position. He rarely loses his head and, while his decision-making could improve, he manages the game well enough.
Agreed he certainly has time on his side, and I think he will mature into a very good player. Just perhaps not as good as we anticipated when we spent so much on him. Time will tell though!

Also his behaviour and attitude at the World Cup was impressive.
When his team mates were goading our players he stayed calm and dignified.

Still not sure why we sold him is he a twat or something?

Clearly Poch and he fell out - Indie article confirms what was thought at the time that at age 19/20 he was making immature decisions.

If Poch happy to have him back, good news as he was a good CM for Spurs, knows many of squad and Poch so integration time will be minimal - far less than anyone else coming in

Bentaleb would be a far, far better buy than Grealish.

That said, we should be focusing on Sander Berge and not be giving up on Rabiot.

A CL semi could swing Rabiot.

Important times ahead.

A lot on here seem intent on getting rid of quite a few “fringe” players. Based on last 2 windows combined with messages about our finances I just don’t think that’s realistic. Other than vorm Llorente and Nkoudou the only realistic departures are Toby/Eriksen due to contracts and perhaps one of our 3 right backs - given we only need 2 :)avbpray: be Trippier).

Toby and Christian aside, all the others can be coped with from within the existing squad which would mean we could “get away” with only 2/3 additions.

Bringing Bentaleb back is an interesting idea, I believe he would count as home grown so that’s a big advantage. I wouldn’t be opposed to it, his style of play is exactly what we need in the centre and it seems like he has matured a lot.

Tbf a 3 man midfield of;

Bentaleb Sissoko

Winks

Or

Bentaleb Winks

Berge / Weigl

would be an extremely industrios and talented midfield with time on their side.

This is assuming we sell Eriksen and I would have Son, Ali and Kane up top in the starting 11

He’s a twat. Thought he was God’s gift to football and started making crazy wage demands. By all accounts he’s an utter cunt, and a pretty average player anyway.
Strange that.
I know the youth team kit man (only in passing, he’s heavily involved at my local cricket club) & he said Bentaleb was a good kid & very popular around the club.
My understanding is that the club were very unhappy with him going off to play for his country when he was still returning from an injury.
And if you shit the bed with Poch, it’s a long road back or a different path.
Either way, we are better now than we were when he was here, & at best he’s always going to be a squad player at a club like Spurs.
But agree with SchmoodSpur SchmoodSpur that he is a better option than Grealish, but I think we ought to be setting our sights higher than these players for real competition to the present best XI

Strange that.
I know the youth team kit man (only in passing, he’s heavily involved at my local cricket club) & he said Bentaleb was a good kid & very popular around the club.
My understanding is that the club were very unhappy with him going off to play for his country when he was still returning from an injury.
And if you shit the bed with Poch, it’s a long road back or a different path.
Either way, we are better now than we were when he was here, & at best he’s always going to be a squad player at a club like Spurs.
But agree with SchmoodSpur SchmoodSpur that he is a better option than Grealish, but I think we ought to be setting our sights higher than these players for real competition to the present best XI

As I understand it, he had an entourage that stroked his ego and encouraged him to make arrogant demands. Pochettino liked him as a player, but had a big problem with his attitude and general arrogance.

Personally I don’t rate him. Distinctly average.

If Bentalebs head is in the right place i'd 100% have him back. He knows the club, knows the area, knows the players and has seemingly matured. He fits a hole that we have in the squad and I don't think his talent has ever been in doubt. Saying that is it better to wait for Skipp to mature over the next 2 seasons?

Back
Top Bottom