Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

giphy.gif

Im not going to make a judgement, only my personal opinion having lived and worked in japan now since 1990. Yes, I have seen in small sections of the population , Koreans being mistreated. Over the course of 30 years though I have seen a massive improvement in relations between the 2 countries. There will always be extremes as you say, but overall I find, in particular the youth / younger generation seem to get on well. Thats my experience anyway.

The football fans that I have met, again this is within my own circle, who love the game and are japanese are actually very fond of Son as he represents the region overall and puts Asian football in the spotlight. They refer to him as the Korean Kagawa, Honda etc... quite complimentary, and no they are not all Spurs fans.

Thats my experience for what its worth.

Nice post, I'm from Australia too but live in Bangkok.

Here is this

Rooster, the Japanese empire was a ruthless killing machine that deserved to get nuked into submission. It is estimated that they may have murdered 10-15 million people throughout Asia (about half Chinese, but also everyone else they conquered). They fought dirty too (the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor, kamikaze/suicide attacks, torture, etc). Re: Korea specifically, they’d been trying to invade Korea since the 1500s. In the 1890s, they assassinated the Korean queen and invaded again. They eventually conquered Korea and ruled with an iron fist until they got nuked and surrendered. During their rule, they tried to wipe out the Korean language and culture. They also kidnapped thousands of Korean girls and used them as sex slaves for the Japanese military. Look up “comfort women”. They still pretend like this was no big deal and say sorry not sorry about it. After the war, Korea was then split up by the Soviet Union (North Korea) and the US (South Korea) which is essentially why we have Kim Jong Un today. So the Japs are indirectly responsible for him too.

And that, pretty impressive

And regarding your post.

I know a bit about the modern history between Korea and Japan (that international relations course at uni has turned out to be useful!) and the Japanese governments have never sincerely apologised to Korea. Whatever they have said were always followed up by falsification in their textbooks about their past history and their continuous visits to pay tribute to their war criminals at the Yasukuni shrine. It’s like Merkel visiting the graves of Hitler and Himmler every year and still teaching history from the Nazi perspective at school.

The post war compensation between Korea and Japan was arranged and paid while Korea was ruled by a dictator who used it for self serving interests at a massive discount - Japan’s post war compensation arrangement with that government is comparable to doing a bank transaction with a criminal organisation.

Which ever way you put it, Japan did something very wrong and they got away with doing very little to make up for it. In comparison to what Germany went through, it is a travesty. It’s no surprise that Koreans are seriously pissed off. Those victims of the past are still alive.

Seen from our experiences where Germany was made to go through de-Nazification, the Koreans have every right to still have grieviences.

But we should get back to these, pure joy

Son is under appreciated because fans and pundits tend to put players into boxes for comparison. He’s the best Asian player ever (although he’d never say it), but that does him a disservice. Son should be compared to the best in the world.

His ability to play on the wing or up top, alone or in a pair, with little to no drop off in performance is astonishing. He is one of the most two footed players I have ever seen. If he was Brazilian or Spanish or some other “sexy” football country he’d be an international superstar. He also comes off as genuinely humble and enjoying every minute of it.

Don’t forget, he’s only 26 and just entering his prime - he may not have even reached his ceiling yet. I hope Spurs are fortunate enough to have Sonny here for the rest of his career.

This is a very "eurocentric" view ... Son is an international superstar he's bigger than any other Spurs player? Now you're all thinking I've gone completely feckin' mental but believe me I haven't ...

There are 51m Koreans, and some 4.4 billion Asians ... In Korea Son is THE BIGGEST star from any walk of life, his picture is everywhere, Captain of the National team, won the Asia Cup, he makes David Beckham look like some back street wannabee ... ask any Korean male, female, child and they will all know who Hueng-Min Son is, and by association most now know who Spurs are ...

But it doesn't stop in Korea, China, Thailand, Indonesia and Japan all relate to an "Asian" player doing well, it's what all kids kicking a ball aspire to be, a famous EPL footballer ... right now Son is a role model for over half the world's population, that's some serious recognition right their ...

So maybe not getting full credit in Europe, the USA or South America but in Asia he's a feckin' God ...

Coming out of the shadows after lurking for a while to say this: The Korean fans are freakin ruining this forum. This whole Korea/Japan argument is not only inappropriate here but pissing off people who want to talk football and you're not doing Son any favors. I'm American and ethnically half Korean. I'm not sure what it's like in the U.K. but no one in the states would get away with using a derogatory term like Japs. That's just fucked up.

Coming out of the shadows after lurking for a while to say this: The Korean fans are freakin ruining this forum. This whole Korea/Japan argument is not only inappropriate here but pissing off people who want to talk football and you're not doing Son any favors. I'm American and ethnically half Korean. I'm not sure what it's like in the U.K. but no one in the states would get away with using a derogatory term like Japs. That's just fucked up.

Oh great here is another 1st time poster coming out of the woodwork claiming to be a half Korean something.
I couldn't care too much about whatever as I said before, but if Sonny's good videos are getting deleted that is detrimental to my enjoyment? I want to know who the fuck that is doing it.

Last edited:
Dude, I'm not sure why you'd be dismissive of a first time poster who happens to be half korean. Seems petty and harsh but you do your thing man.

So you really had endured all the proud Korean moments for how long but was compelled to get an id today because you were worried about your half related Koreans ruining a few pages here?

Back
Top Bottom