Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Very passionate response from Poch about press twisting his words. LOVE IT!

I find full Poch press conferences hard to watch sometimes due to his broken English and this was one of those times.

Couple of things that I took from it is that he only says we couldn't do deals. I'm not a fan of the Gooner-style #enicout brigade (frankly I think it's pathetic) so I see that comment as the deals couldn't be done because they weren't of sufficient value to the club i.e. selling clubs wanted too much.

As far as his rant at the end, I think that was him pre-empting the headlines that say he's not happy cos we didn't add to the squad. The headlines that attempt to destabilise the club.

He's fully on board with Spurs. Fully on board with Levy. And, call me a hopeless romantic, but he will deliver us a league trophy. Every time I hear him speak I get more confident of it.

100%.

Pochettino sanctioned or agreed the sale of Dembele and openly wanted Janssen off the books and moved on N'Koudou. There is no logic in that unless he genuinely expected players were coming in. Nada.

It cannot continue.

The only plausible explanation is the stadium costing us more money than expected and as we speak no confirmed date we are back there.

So spot on.

We can’t keep selling players and buy no-one. That cannot continue. No one can argue with that fact.

As admirable as it would be to have a team purely of academy players it is not realistic whatsoever.

2so3tm.jpg

Ever heard of confirmation bias?
There's quite a few here with it...
I honestly believe that if Pochettino did an interview discussing his favourite fruit people would find a way of making it about Levy, if he liked Kiwi fruit they would say" See, he likes stuff that's hairy...he's actually saying he hates Levy"...

Well, I have always been postiive about the way Poch speaks so it can’t be a case of confirmation bias because if anything I am looking for the positives in what he is saying but that presser yesterday didn’t give me a good feeling.

He is happy with the squad and the team and with the club that much is evident but I don’t believe he is happy with our transfer policy and he said that much in the presser.

I don’t think he hates Levy, I feel like he is telling Levy in order to move on to being real contenders we need new signings.

He said that yesterday, he also said that teams must improve every transfer window, those exact words left his mouth.

So yes, he might be happy with the team and want to be postiive about us because there is no point on dwelling on a lack of signings but if he really feels like teams must improve every transfer window then he clearly isn’t going to be happy with the way our business has gone is he?

I don’t think that’s confirmation bias I think that’s listening to him speak.

Incredible isn't it, Poch actually says he's happy with the squad, actually says the players he wanted we couldn't get, actually says he can't believe the false rumours, actually says he's a person who is so happy and confident that his ideas are the same as his chairmen's, actually says in reality if you see the table then of course we are there, there's much more he says but you get the point ....

and yet the same half dozen posters (we all know who they are) somehow make this into a complaint against Levy and a hidden threat to explode ... you couldn't make it up, except of course some people do

He said in his presser than teams “must improve every transfer window” and he would have “liked signings in the summer and in this window so we don’t have excuses to not be real contenders”

What he said after is that he is happy with the squad we have and he will always be postiive (irrespective of signings) because there is basically no point in dwelling on a lack of them when we have games to win)

That doesn’t mean he is happy overall and he said that at the end when he spoke about journalists twisting his words claiming he is always happy even when we are losing, basically making him out to be a yes man.

He has made it very clear in this presser he wants signings and the only way to keep improving is with signings.

That right there alone should tell you he isn’t happy with our current transfer policy, it couldn’t be any clearer.

Well, I have always been postiive about the way Poch speaks so it can’t be a case of confirmation bias because if anything I am looking for the positives in what he is saying but that presser yesterday didn’t give me a good feeling.

He is happy with the squad and the team and with the club that much is evident but I don’t believe he is happy with our transfer policy and he said that much in the presser.

I don’t think he hates Levy, I feel like he is telling Levy in order to move on to being real contenders we need new signings.

He said that yesterday, he also said that teams must improve every transfer window, those exact words left his mouth.

So yes, he might be happy with the team and want to be postiive about us because there is no point on dwelling on a lack of signings but if he really feels like teams must improve every transfer window then he clearly isn’t going to be happy with the way our business has gone is he?

I don’t think that’s confirmation bias I think that’s listening to him speak.

I 100% know for sure he wants players in.

Plus he said himself in that press conference he wants to win and got angry with suggestions otherwise.

But does anyone think he really wants Vinny in the squad?
However he’s also realistic enough to know he wanted Morata who didn’t want to be a back up to Kane, and who then flopped at Chelsea.

So poch uses what he has. What else can he do??

And as he’s always keen to point out. In football you never really know what might happen tomorrow.

Just believe in yourself and your own footballing beliefs.

Love that man.

100%.

No fcuking spin needed by anyone.

He wanted players and said as much. Not one but maybe 2 or 3. Not a fcuking bean. Not even a loan signing.

What has probably kept Pochettino in the hot seat is that City, United and Liverpool did nothing, Chelsea and Woolwich not much either, so maybe the line from Levy is that targets were inordinately priced.

Now I don't know the real truth. No one does but if we get top 4 again that will be incredible but surely we want glory? That has to mean investment.

Pochettino sanctioned or agreed the sale of Dembele and openly wanted Janssen off the books and moved on N'Koudou. There is no logic in that unless he genuinely expected players were coming in. Nada.

So here we are. 14 games to go. A good position but one with additions that could have surely been even better. No signings for a whole year and counting. 10th biggest income in world football, and all the other atrractions and still fcuk all.

Pochettino has every right to walk if he feels this non-signing is the new norm. If he gets no reassurances that a sizeable transfer budget will be given to him in summer. If a new contract is not signed by Eriksen.

There is no doubt now. We have heard him say he wants glory, wanted new players, that he and the club don't always agree and that he is not always as happy as the media paint out.

So those of us who saw it like that were right. The only real doubt is the extent to which Pochettino recognises the difficulties of signing the quality of player he wants.

But as I have said, we are a top club operating on a mid-table budget.

First Pochettino will question the ambition, then the players and then they will want out.

It cannot continue.

The part in bold is accurate, I don’t see how people can make that a positive in anyway.

I was feeling pretty postiive that both Poch and Levy see mostly eye to eye before that press conference yesterday but honestly Poch couldn’t have been any clearer with the words he used.

He wants signings, he isn’t getting them, there really isn’t much else to be said.

I 100% know for sure he wants players in.

Plus he said himself in that press conference he wants to win and got angry with suggestions otherwise.

But does anyone think he really wants Vinny in the squad?
However he’s also realistic enough to know he wanted Morata who didn’t want to be a back up to Kane, and who then flopped at Chelsea.

So poch uses what he has. What else can he do??

And as he’s always keen to point out. In football you never really know what might happen tomorrow.

Just believe in yourself and your own footballing beliefs.

Love that man.

I agree mate, I don’t think he wants Vinny I think he has been forced to use him because he hasn’t got any players in, he probably sanctioned those loans with the idea that he would be getting someone in.

I don’t know what Levy is telling him behind the scenes about why we can’t get players in, Poch doesn’t even seem to know but we clearly have a problem getting players in that much is evident.

I don’t know if it’s because clubs don’t like dealing with Levy, if Levy is purposefully pulling the wool over Pochs eyes or if he just refuses to pay the prices being asked but all of those still result in Poch not getting players he wants which will ultimately result in bad things eventually, such as him leaving imo, he has made it very clear he doesn’t want us to stagnate.

Interpretation and confirmation bias (or not, depending) aside anybody who's watched Poch for the last five years, and more to the point the way he acts towards players, staff, and Levy and then thinks he's putting anything that can be interpreted against Levy in a presser, well fuck me.

He's saying what we all know already. Yes, he would have liked to sign players. ANY manager in ANY window would. Yes, it was difficult to find the right fits. It is for ANY manager (unless you're West Spam firing at will), especially in January. Yes, money is a factor. It is for all clubs, barring the few with unlimited oil money.

Poch will absolutely tell Levy behind closed doors what he thinks. And it may be harsh shit, that some people are interpreting into the pressers. But to think Poch is telling us all how he feels between the lines, and to keep overanalysing and rehashing it every presser to push an agenda is a bit pathetic imho.

Many reasons we couldn't get players

Poch to Levy
"I want players"

Levy
"Batshuayi is available on loan for £2m"

Poch
"Ok see if you can get him"

Levy comes back
"Chelski want £8m of us and only £2m from others for a 6 month loan"

Poch
"Well, could we get him then ?"

Levy
"We could but it will be £8m less to spend in the summer, do you still want him"

Poch
"Nah, you're alright, I'll wait 'cos once Harrys fit he won't play anyway"

The summer is the tell all window.

Assuming no stadium disasters, correct. It all comes to a head this summer.

I know we don't see eye to eye on a few subjects regarding how the club is run etc but I do make you right. With moves bound to happen we will see if the calibre of player we go for and get this year will make the reluctance to spend over the past 12 months worthwhile.

Outgoings as important as incomings. Personally I think Pochettino needs to be a little ruthless with a few that have helped us get to this stage to make sufficient space for ones who can help with the next step. 4-5 future spine players probably required

Aurier, Lamela, Bic Vic, Vorm all take up important and limited nonHG spaces. The whole Dier situ not beinclassed as HG really does us no favours at all

Vorm: he’s probably off at the end of the season

Big Vic: yeh looks like something is wrong, love to see him back to his best but if not he might be off

Aurier: not taken his chance, if we sell then KWP can step in and he is home grown

Lamela: why Lamela, he is very much part of the squad and if Eriksen goes our only natural passing AM type player. Surely we can afford him a non HG space.

Vorm: he’s probably off at the end of the season

Big Vic: yeh looks like something is wrong, love to see him back to his best but if not he might be off

Aurier: not taken his chance, if we sell then KWP can step in and he is home grown

Lamela: why Lamela, he is very much part of the squad and if Eriksen goes our only natural passing AM type player. Surely we can afford him a non HG space.

I'm just jotting down the nonHGs who take up vital space that we could probably manage without. I'd rather us keep Erik but if he takes up a vital nonHG slot and prevents us from getting top quality in to press the boys I'd be open to it. Got to be ruthless when it requires it

Back
Top Bottom