January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It’s hard to deny that it’s not been a good window. We’ve finished transfer deadline day by getting rid of two players we’ve needed to use due to a weakened squad (one of whom provided an assist that gained us 2 league points), and Dembélé.

I understand that the sales and loans have a logic behind them and free up room for next season, but we could well be needing to replace Eriksen and Alderweireld too in the summer.

NFUQqpOa7ow1mX2VLvbqhk6bmNXdQyXKhJ6HVJ43O1I.png

We’ve finished transfer deadline day by getting rid of two players we’ve needed to use due to a weakened squad (one of whom provided an assist that gained us 2 league points), and Dembélé.

I understand that the sales and loans have a logic behind them and free up room for next season, but we could well be needing to replace Eriksen and Alderweireld too in the summer.
I don't think Dembele was dragged kicking and screaming out of the club... I'm pretty sure he was happy to prolong his career by getting out of the Premier league...
As much as I love him, he's chronically injured, and has barely been able to string 90 minutes together...

Nearly everyone on here who tried to justify us shying away from the summer window were beefing themselves up by claiming we'd strengthen in January.
Well, we've actually gone and weakened the squad in January.

Let the excuses begin........

Well I didn't expect us to sign anyone and my expectations were met. Honestly, I was pretty sure when we made no signings in September I thought that meant we would stick with this squad for the season, only teams with an urgent need or a crisis buy in January, while we could be stronger, we have injured players to come back and when you consider recuperation v bedding in a new player, there's not a huge difference in time and you have more predictability in a player you already know.

Instead of any emotive response I would say, let's see how the end of our season goes and then judge whether the gamble was right or not. I'm still pretty positive though, right now only one team in the premier league has won more games than us, you could argue it's an endorsement of our approach or that the confidence Poch placed in the squad was not misplaced. In my heart, I'd always like us to add a couple of players but it amuses me that right now we're 2 points behind the billion dollar team with zero net spend and that should give us all a little comfort despite the lack of buys over the last couple of windows.

I don't think Dembele was dragged kicking and screaming out of the club... I'm pretty sure he was happy to prolong his career by getting out of the Premier league...
As much as I love him, he's chronically injured, and has barely been able to string 90 minutes together...

True, and I’m not stamping my feet over all of this.

The Stirling loan will do him good, N’Koudou is obviously someone we’ve been looking to shift, and I don’t begrudge Dembele leaving.

However all three (admittedly to varying degrees) have been used in competitive games this season, and we’re currently down to the bare bones. We can argue that Skipp has essentially taken Dembele’s place in the squad (obviously not in terms of quality), but we now have less options available.

I wouldn’t care if Janssen went because we’ve clearly not got any intentions of using him.

Back
Top Bottom