"TITLE RACE" ( There is no sense not talking about it)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we hadn’t lost to Wolves and Woolwich, etc., etc.

Exactly....

If we won every game we’d be top.
Fact.

What isn’t a fact though is that we’d be top if we were bedding in new players.
Might be a transitional period....we might be 6th.

I find this new found angle to moan about the summer quite amusing actually.
Predict 12th, moan about 3rd

Say the clubs target is top 4, moan we aren’t top

Say we aren’t in race, moan about signings to continue race

I’ve been genuinely excited about the outside possibility of us winning the PL 3 times now in Pochs five years.
I don’t care what anyone says about the Chelsea, Leicester seasons and certainly not this season.

If, as a Spurs fan, you feel nothing but indifference right now, and the only thing you want to do is complain about the transfer policy and how let down you feel...
You are the only person losing out.
If you aren’t buzzing, you’re losing.

If you can’t get irate over a defeat, then move on to the next game, and you have to cling onto those dropped points forever, then you aren’t enjoying the victories as much.
Your loss

If you can’t enjoy our position while playing Winks and Skipp in games, and all you can do is slate KWP while getting results away to Barca, then your a cold and emotionless fan.

We all want trophies but those of you who want to spend this season predicting proudly the Poch will walk because he’s been let down, I feel sorry for you.

Most fans are on a journey here.....shame for you, you missed the coach.

Last edited:
I feel that to not want success or to accept something better than you thought it might be because expectation has been lowered or some other variable a tad peculiar.

We are human beings with various and in my mind wonderfully different outlooks on the same thing. It's the tapestry of it all that is so captivating.

Some people think we can win the title. Others like myself think a top 4 slot is much more likely and a more sensible aim. I think that is fine.

We would all much prefer home grown talent to expensively acquired players and applaud the manager's development of those who come through the academy but most understand a PL team is unlikely to compete if that were the case.

To not look back or to not consider the future if the lack of players continues smacks of complacency or being easily pleased.

We have 5 or 6 players who are giving proportionately less because they are evidently out of favour. That means we probably use 18 - 20 players, many who have played a lot of games. We could do with 20 but with a wider spread of games. That means we have to raise the overall bar.

All managers eventually leave their club. The fans don't. To feel or see a manager fall short, partly due to their own need for development but also through a relative lack of being backed is rightly a concern, but equally a ride that can be much enjoyed at the same time.

It's also okay to want more.

Last edited:
We need some luck with injuries now, both us having few and city and liverpool losing players like Fernandinho, Aguero, Van Dijk and Salah.

Fernandinho was brilliant last night. Nearly as good a defensive midfield performance as you can get. B Silva was not too far behind him.

I thought Van Dijk was composed but also looking tired so interesting to see how that pans out.

Both are good teams but Liverpool are so reliant on that front 3. Shaqiri was a good signing for them although of limited effect when he came on yesterday.

We need to buy players if we are going to ruffle both teams. Simple as in my opinion, because we are asking too much of too few.

I feel that to not want success or to accept something better than you thought it might be because expectation has been lowered or some other variable a tad peculiar.

We are human beings with various and in my mind wonderfully different outlooks on the same thing. It's the tapestry of it all that is so captivating.

Some people think we can win the title. Others like myself think a top 4 slot is much more likely and a more sensible aim. I think that is fine.

We would all much prefer home grown talent to expensively acquired players and applaud the manager's development of those who come through the academy but most understand a PL team is unlikely to compete if that were the case.

To not look back or to not consider the future if the lack of players continues smacks of complacency or being easily pleased.

We have 5 or 6 players who are giving proportionately less because they are evidently out of favour. That means we probably use 18 - 20 players, many who have played a lot of games. We could do with 20 but with a wider spread of games. That means we have to raise the overall bar.

All managers eventually leave their club. The fans don't. To feel or see a manager fall short, partly due to their own need for development but also through a relative lack of being backed is rightly a concern, but equally a ride that can be much enjoyed at the same time.

It's also okay to want more.

Nothing wrong with wanting more, it’s the perpetual denial that we are any better than we were 10 years ago by people demanding titles.
Who back then said top 4 would never happen in our lifetime.

People that in the summer threw a fucking wobbly over transfers and claimed we were now behind Utd, Chelsea and Woolwich who now throw a wobbly because we’re just 6pts off Liverpool and 2 off City.
Teams we could never compete with on our budget apparently.

It’s the constant moving of goalposts by the people, and the constant sucking off of other teams players. Robertson, the best player on the pitch last night for the PL leaders cost 9M from Hull.

Same cunts saying he’d walk into our team, would want Levy’s head for that kind of signing, while lauding Liverpool’s policy.

It’s the constant moving of goalposts by the people, and the constant sucking off of other teams players. Robertson, the best player on the pitch last night for the PL leaders cost 9M from Hull.

Same cunts saying he’d walk into our team, would want Levy’s head for that kind of signing, while lauding Liverpool’s policy.
Acknowledging other teams have better players than ours isn't 'sucking them off'

And who are you exactly to dictate what expectations the fans should have every season?

Acknowledging other teams have better players than ours isn't 'sucking them off'

And all you could find in that entire post to pick up on..?

I can acknowledge Firminho has qualities.
Calling him a genius and saying he’s better than Son and Lamela is sucking him off though.

People bending over backwards, playing semantics trying to claim Sissoko and Winks are our first choice CM pairing just to defend the claim that Liverpool have a better squad.

Where was Kieta and Fabinho last night?

Resting for the FA Cup?
Henderson better than Dier? And alongside Lovren in CM wouldn’t have an impact on their season??

VvD better than ALL of our CBs???

Nothing wrong with wanting more, it’s the perpetual denial that we are any better than we were 10 years ago by people demanding titles.
Who back then said top 4 would never happen in our lifetime.

People that in the summer three a fucking wobbly over transfers and claimed we were now behind Utd, Chelsea and Woolwich who now throw a wobbly because we’re just 6pts off Liverpool and 2 off City.
Teams we could never compete with on our budget apparently.

Yep understand all that but I think it's okay to have those seemingly changing goal posts.

It drives at perceptions and then reality and then back to perceptions.

Nobody really would have thought we would be closer to City this season than last. No one would have wanted Robertson but then we did very similar with Walker. It is okay I feel to be indifferent and then amazed.

You are also more able to see the wider and broader picture. Others prefer their plate to be full to enjoy a good meal. It looks more like they got their money's worth.

I stand very firm regardless of that, that we have an outside chance in the same way Olaf Beyer did all those years ago against Coe and Ovett, but only if we get reinforcements, which to me at least also indicate the likelihood of Pochettino staying put.

And all you could find in that entire post to pick up on..?

I can acknowledge Firminho has qualities.
Calling him a genius and saying he’s better than Son and Lamela is sucking him off though.

People bending over backwards, playing semantics trying to claim Sissoko and Winks are our first choice CM pairing just to defend the claim that Liverpool have a better squad.

Where was Kieta and Fabinho last night?

Resting for the FA Cup?
Henderson better than Dier? And alongside Lovren in CM wouldn’t have an impact on their season??

VvD better than ALL of our CBs???
I don't know why you're asking me these bizarre hypothetical questions or what sort of acknowledgement you seek. Keita and Fabinho were on the bench btw and Liverpool lost their firt game of the season. Perhaps Henderson and Milner are not the great after all. I have no idea what this Lovren in CM story is.

I don't know why you're asking me these bizarre hypothetical questions or what sort of acknowledgement you seek. Keita and Fabinho were on the bench btw and Liverpool lost their firt game of the season. Perhaps Henderson and Milner are not the great after all. I have no idea what this Lovren in CM story is.

Then why come in and claim people arent sucking them off if you dont know what debates Ive had

Yep understand all that but I think it's okay to have those seemingly changing goal posts.

It drives at perceptions and then reality and then back to perceptions.

Nobody really would have thought we would be closer to City this season than last. No one would have wanted Robertson but then we did very similar with Walker. It is okay I feel to be indifferent and then amazed.

You are also more able to see the wider and broader picture. Others prefer their plate to be full to enjoy a good meal. It looks more like they got their money's worth.

I stand very firm regardless of that, that we have an outside chance in the same way Olaf Beyer did all those years ago against Coe and Ovett, but only if we get reinforcements, which to me at least also indicate the likelihood of Pochettino staying put.

Moving the goalposts isnt ok if you stated as a fact that the season was fucked, Poch would walk, the squad is weak, and Levy is a cunt though.

Those people dont have a right to say where we are now is not good enough

I keep hearing from pundits that ‘with all respect Spurs can’t win because we haven’t got the depth’. Surely we are the only top team that’s actually had to use almost all our squad and we’re right in the mix.

Isn’t that the depth we’re not supposed to have?

I've seen those
Yeah because you think Rasiak and Slug is abuse and the same as saying “Sissoko get the fuck out of my club you cunt”.

And you think saying “Dele played shit” is the same as saying “Trippier IS shit”

And you think saying Poch has a responsibility for the bad games and poor performances and that Klopp has done better this season means that I want Poch sacked.

You disagreed a post of mine saying Dele can be too nonchalant and in the next game called Dele nonchalant.

The thing is, false accusations don’t become reality because people keep making them.
If you believe all those things above are abuse then fine, but you and I both know you don’t, and probably on some level agree with them at times.

But hey, this is the internet, and there’s personas to live up to

I keep hearing from pundits that ‘with all respect Spurs can’t win because we haven’t got the depth’. Surely we are the only top team that’s actually had to use almost all our squad and we’re right in the mix.

It’s amazing how fucking dense some people are.
Don’t have the depth?

Yet our depth has kept us in it all season.
It’s incredible that both experts and our own fans can’t see that the only reason we are where we are is BECAUSE of the quality of our squad.

Beggars fucking belief

Yep,

Last i checked we are 2 points behind City, whom all of a sudden after today's win, have many "experts' suggesting only 2 possible scenarios. City will go back to back. Liverpools to lose.

Its as if we don't even exist.

Respectfully, I don't even need to go the the depth argument. As at Jan 4th, we are 2 points behind city and if they are in the race then we are as well. We are alive in all 4 competitions. Surely our Club deserves some recognition, beyond the old " they are doing well with what they have "...

Fact is City faulted prior to their win today, and Liverpool's gap has closed suffering their first defeat.

Pisses me off big time. Its as if we are 12 points behind the leaders with 8 rounds remaining. Allow me to dare to dream, please as this race isn't over.

PS my rant wasnt aimed at you Mariner Mariner

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom