January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why are we talking like Vertonghen is gone in 2020? Why wouldn't he sign another deal with us? And if he doesn't, we'd have his replacement in mind (You would think).

Centre back is not a priority. I question anyone who really thinks centre back is a priority over left back or central midfield (I can leave right back as we have Aurier and KWP for now).

Well by your thinking why buy De Jong when we have Winks?

Because he's better I'd imagine?

Thats what big teams do. Maybe I'm expecting bigger things than our club is capable of, or even aspiring to, but if there is a chance of getting De Jong and De Ligt, we do it. Out of the five defenders you mention, one looks off, one isn't good enough to get in the Swansea team, one is on the wain and the other two are young and maybe still need a bit of work. Also Dier isn't the quickest and his attention is prone to lapsing thats why he's best suited sitting in front of a defence and being able to add an extra body rather than be the man.

Yes, I'd love Chilwell, yes I'd love a N'Dombele or Brozovic. But if chances come you take them. Perhaps we've been overly successful for our board's liking? Is that possible?

Well by your thinking why buy De Jong when we have Winks?

Because he's better I'd imagine?

Thats what big teams do. Maybe I'm expecting bigger things than our club is capable of, or even aspiring to, but if there is a chance of getting De Jong and De Ligt, we do it. Out of the five defenders you mention, one looks off, one isn't good enough to get in the Swansea team, one is on the wain and the other two are young and maybe still need a bit of work. Also Dier isn't the quickest and his attention is prone to lapsing thats why he's best suited sitting in front of a defence and being able to add an extra body rather than be the man.

Yes, I'd love Chilwell, yes I'd love a N'Dombele or Brozovic. But if chances come you take them. Perhaps we've been overly successful for our board's liking? Is that possible?

Because we are losing Dembele and Wanyama is shit...

But you want De Jong who is clearly more like Winks than the other two.

N'Dombele or even Barrios is more that type of player.

de Jong is nothing like Winks.

I want to play 433 and de Jong, Winks with one of Barrios/NDombele would be perfect. Just like I'd want us to sign Barella, to partner Winks, not to replace him.

It was part of his original contract.

Just like de Gea has a one year extension on his. Do you think Man Utd see him as back up?

No, but I see a lot of players fed up with Jose looking for an out and Man Ure desperately trying to hold onto them. We could easily have offered Jan a three year contract IF we deemed him so important.

We broke the bank to sign Davinson Sanchez (who had ONE YEARS European experience). I don't think we're afraid

You need to do that a good couple of times for us to be figuring the likes of City. I honestly think Poch can win the title, we don’t need to be as strong as City just a lot closer.

If we are looking at centre halves, I think De Ligt, Ake, Dunk and Bailly are all good options. Bailly has been ruined by Mourinho, but there’s a player in there.

I mean fuck Mourhino nearly ruined Martial and that guy is unbelievable, good manager in some respects just terrible at player development.

No, but I see a lot of players fed up with Jose looking for an out and Man Ure desperately trying to hold onto them. We could easily have offered Jan a three year contract IF we deemed him so important.

I assume it's probably a waste of time offering a 32 year old a 3 year deal when it's not clear what level he will be at in 2 years time. If you can retain the same player on the exact same wages for an extra year, you do it.

Why are we talking like Vertonghen is gone in 2020? Why wouldn't he sign another deal with us? And if he doesn't, we'd have his replacement in mind (You would think).

Centre back is not a priority. I question anyone who really thinks centre back is a priority over left back or central midfield (I can leave right back as we have Aurier and KWP for now).
No one is talking like he is off in 2020. But he is turning 32 and is coming off of fairly long injury. And logically he will probably get injured again. It is not illogical to look at bringing in an alternative to back him up and take charge of our backline when needed. Because at the moment we don't have anyone that is willing to take charge.

I want Jan to retire at Spurs. But looking to bring someone to rotate/play deputy for a 32 year old center back is not illogical.

If Jan is so clearly a first choice, thats a very short extension. Poch clearly sees him more as backup.

Jan is almost 32 now and would be 33 at the end of the one year extension.

So maybe Poch is going to watch to see if Jan's powers as a player are waning before offering a longer contract - which would take Jan to 35 or 36, which is possible but it might suit Jan anyway to move at the end of the one year extension to prolong his career in a slower league. So it may not be Poch's choice to extend the contract of his no 1 CB more than one year.

Poch can get another 3 years out of SuperJan. Easily.

About Sanchez. I really like him but I'd say we signed the wrong highly rated young Ajax centre half. DeLigt is going to be a superstar

Jan can go on for a while he is clever, as long as he has a fast and strong defender like Sanchez to do the leg work we can get a few more years from him potentially.

About Sanchez. I really like him but I'd say we signed the wrong highly rated young Ajax centre half. DeLigt is going to be a superstar

Said that at the time, maybe Poch didn't think he would have been ready and wanted someone to slot in straight away.

However, we should have paid Ajax a bit extra and secured first refusal on De Ligt. Anyone, even Stevie Wonder, could see from that Europa League final against Man Ure that the guy was a phenom.

And no one is saying we should actively look to offload him. But it would be smart to bring in someone else with leadership abilities in the backline to take control when/if Jan gets hurt or has to wind down his playing schedule.

Davinson and Foyth are too young and Dier and Toby doesn't have that level of leadership ability judging by our recent string of defensive errors.

Jan can go on for a while he is clever, as long as he has a fast and strong defender like Sanchez to do the leg work we can get a few more years from him potentially.

But then does he merit a starting slot if he is going to rely on the player beside him? Like I said earlier, I think Poch should drop Toby and play Dav and Juan and prepare them for next season.

30-35 mill? The price will be 65 mill plus. Monaco do not sell their players cheaply.
And he s struggling since joining Monaco, I would be surprised to see someone spending that much on him, but he has all the potential and mindset to play for poch.

But nobody will rescue him from Monaco, esp if he keeps on averaging 5/10 quotations

Lots of rumours about Spurs buying our keeper at Gent, fwiw I think that would be a bad call. Fantastic line keeper, very dominant in the air but can't kick a football and lacks leadership qualities

But then does he merit a starting slot if he is going to rely on the player beside him? Like I said earlier, I think Poch should drop Toby and play Dav and Juan and prepare them for next season.
That's pretty short-sighted as the player next to him also relies on his positioning, intelligence and mastering of the dark arts

That's why they call it a partnership, complementarity is key

I hate it when fans start writing off players because they want the new gem, he s been very consistent for a long while now and hasn't shown signs of decline. His experience and quality on the pitch is needed, esp next to the youngbucks we are developing

Back
Top Bottom