January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Maybe - he is doing it this year but it has been enforced, get the feeling with Harry that he thinks he will score every game (not far wrong) and therefore he wants to play every game. Listening to Lineker / Baker podcast and the way Lineker talks about scoring goals ( I suspect Harry is the same) makes you realize that resting Harry is a difficult thing to do.
True. But that doesn't mean that Fernando (since we are talking about Harry). Can't get more appearances from the bench. Or maybe you can try a two man strike team every once in a while against "lesser" teams.

True. But that doesn't mean that Fernando (since we are talking about Harry). Can't get more appearances from the bench. Or maybe you can try a two man strike team every once in a while against "lesser" teams.
I thought Llorente was a brilliant buy and would be getting minutes from the bench especially when we were up against teams who sat back. I want to believe Poch thought this to but his performances when he did get game time made him change his mind. This may go to your point about not being able to rotate but I like to think the desire was there. I think both him and Jansen has changed his mind on this fact and we will see more Son / Moura than a like for like CF replacements.

Now I doubt very much we will be in for a CF while Harry is fit and Poch is at the club. I would like to see Foyth get more game time (not only in the cups) this season and otherwise he has dealt quite well with enforced rotation.

we played lucas and kane up front at old trafford the other day mate, right? 25 different players have played in the 11 premier league games this season.

i'm not being a dick here mate eh, it's just what you are saying doesn't seem to ring true eh?

we played lucas and kane up front at old trafford the other day mate, right? 25 different players have played in the 11 premier league games this season.

i'm not being a dick here mate eh, it's just what you are saying doesn't seem to ring true eh?
Has there really been that many players rotated? Sure hasn't felt like it when I have been watching. Feels like some variation of the same lineup every game.

Poch has a point, it's ok saying "sign a back up to Kane" but if you want a decent back up, he knows he's not starting many games, so you've got to find one that can either play another position as well - so you can keep him happy with minutes (like Lacazette and Aubamayang can) - and/or you pay them a kings ransom to compensate for effectively putting their career on hold - or you buy an up an coming kid (Jesus) who'll happily rotate (which is easier in City's case because they'll pay him a decent wage and Aguero is ageing anyway, so needs rest games).

Moura is not and never will be a central forward (fuck knows what Poch was thinking there), although he can play as a wide forward in a 433. Same Lamela, who is only this season being used in that "Roma" wide forward 433 role that saw him score 17 goals in his last season for them, and is now scoring more for us. And we also have Son, who can and has played as one for us as a more central striker, and has done a decent job (30 goals in 100 apps - but is probably even better per min as many of those apps are subs).

Many top teams have this same dilemma, Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich - once you have an exceptional fulcrum type striker and you essentially play one striker systems - it's incredibly difficult to recruit a real quality back up.

We have no need for Lozano at this point so why go for him? AM is our most loaded position

While I fully agree with you, if he was another option as rotation AM/backup striker, I'd be all for it. We know the boy has pace, he ripped Alderweirald a new dung chute on a few occasions, he can finish and he's predominately left footed. It may well be overkill getting him. But shedding Llorente, Janssen and N'Koudou for him would give us a terrifying array of forward talent and the variation to play different ways.

While I fully agree with you, if he was another option as rotation AM/backup striker, I'd be all for it. We know the boy has pace, he ripped Alderweirald a new dung chute on a few occasions, he can finish and he's predominately left footed. It may well be overkill getting him. But shedding Llorente, Janssen and N'Koudou for him would give us a terrifying array of forward talent and the variation to play different ways.
If we offload some talent I would also be for him. I just worked under the presumtion that we would just add, not sell

Grealish is not a central midfielder, he’s poor without the ball, doesn’t work hard enough and we really don’t need another “nearly” but flawed AM to add to our burgeoning list.

We need proper midfielders, we need a genuine 6 that can also play football, and at least one proper 8 who is also defensively capable (or two hybrids like NDombele/Hadaira) we have players like Eriksen, Alli (and at a massive stretch, Sissoko) who can play as 8's in CM3's but not in CM2 systems, so we need a couple of midfielders that can operate in both systems without compromise.

Skipp might be able to fill the footballing 6 remit - if Poch gives him chances and game time - but even then I still think we need at least another - maybe a hybrid like NDombele/Hadaira who can do a bit of everything in both systems.

Last edited:
If we offload some talent I would also be for him. I just worked under the presumtion that we would just add, not sell
Think we have to sell or get rid to free wages. Surely llorente, Vorm, Jansen, N'Koudou, Dembele are certs to be at other teams come next season

This has some interesting names:

https://statsbomb.com/2018/11/scouting-the-efl-championships-breakout-stars/

I'm fully on board the Haidara/Ndombele trains. They would be excellent players in our midfield, and are the right age as well as we need long-term solutions.

As far as strikers go, Son or Lamela have been good when used in place of Kane, either Aubameyang-at-Dortmund-style (Son), or shithousing false 9 (Lamela against Chelsea last year). If we decide that's the path to go down, I think that makes sense. If we're going for a back-up, it'll have to be an aging former star with something left in the tank (hopefully), or a riskier signing of a young prospect. If the latter, Maupay from Brentford would likely be a very smart choice.

This has some interesting names:

https://statsbomb.com/2018/11/scouting-the-efl-championships-breakout-stars/

I'm fully on board the Haidara/Ndombele trains. They would be excellent players in our midfield, and are the right age as well as we need long-term solutions.

As far as strikers go, Son or Lamela have been good when used in place of Kane, either Aubameyang-at-Dortmund-style (Son), or shithousing false 9 (Lamela against Chelsea last year). If we decide that's the path to go down, I think that makes sense. If we're going for a back-up, it'll have to be an aging former star with something left in the tank (hopefully), or a riskier signing of a young prospect. If the latter, Maupay from Brentford would likely be a very smart choice.

Kalvin Phillips is a good player.

Bielsa/Poch connection would work.

english options?

GK: Jack Butland
CB: Alfie Mawson, James Tarkowski, Nathan Aké
FB: Ben Chilwell
CM: Ryan Sessegnon, Reece Oxford
AM: Jack Grealish
CF: Callum Wilson

english options?

GK: Jack Butland
CB: Alfie Mawson, James Tarkowski, Nathan Aké
FB: Ben Chilwell
CM: Ryan Sessegnon, Reece Oxford
AM: Jack Grealish
CF: Callum Wilson
Another FB option: Van Aanholt at Palace. He's dutch but he has been in England since 2007 so he is classified as a homegrown I am fairly certain

Back
Top Bottom