PSV away - UCL Matchday 3

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Liverpool got to the final of the CL. We’re a much better team than them (and will finish above them, again). If we end up in the Europa we’ll be one of the best teams in the shitty tournament.
They'd still screw it up at this rate.
I don't mind winning EL, it's better than FA cup.
As long as players and gaffer really go for it. He might mug it off with the same secondary selection that's already planning how to leak a shit goal at 84 minutes in the gut-rot cup
This attitude problem though. There's the chance of the money problem rearing its shit-arse head again. Not a good way to earn a new contract.

Do u really believe that a stadium will fix all of this.. I cannot see our players suddenly being able to see out a game just because of a stadium. I can see us doing the same shit in that stadium. But levy will not care, just like he doesn't care right now.. he's got what he wants. More money coming very soon, in his new shiney stadium. Mopo getting us in the champions league without real investment has made levys life complete. What a scumbag he really is......nothing will change in terms of us investing or seriously trying to win anything. Levy won't allow it..

The thing people are forgetting is that we've played 4 games at Wembley so far, 2 of which were against 2 of the best teams in Europe it sorely has to be said with the other 9 being on the road.

I really think people overlook the importance of home advantage and with the boys getting back to fitness, it's inevitable form will pick up as will the convincing wins. This post isn't necessarily in your direction but I do think that having 55,000 fans roaring the boys on most games once we are back at a genuine home that form will pick up, as will the overall atmosphere around the club in general. It's been a heavy start to the season with most games being a bit of a slog and it would have been great if the Champions League form and luck had fallen a little better on us but we're still in the pack pushing the top of the league which should be and always is the bread and butter and we still have our best league start since 61. A lot of away games, a lot of injuries, a lot of confusion, a fair old amount to be deflated with on the surface but it ain't changing and we have to do our bit to ensure the season pans out as well as it can now. Not sure why but I'm quietly confident we'll get something out of the City game. It's a match where our players will know they have to be 100% up for it and win will really get the boys focused on what could potentially happen if we make the most of our league form, albeit on paper.

Plenty to look forward to even if there's been a few bumps so far, I don't think as supporters of the club we should be losing sight of that in any way shape or form

The thing people are forgetting is that we've played 4 games at Wembley so far, 2 of which were against 2 of the best teams in Europe it sorely has to be said with the other 9 being on the road.

I really think people overlook the importance of home advantage and with the boys getting back to fitness, it's inevitable form will pick up as will the convincing wins. This post isn't necessarily in your direction but I do think that having 55,000 fans roaring the boys on most games once we are back at a genuine home that form will pick up, as will the overall atmosphere around the club in general. It's been a heavy start to the season with most games being a bit of a slog and it would have been great if the Champions League form and luck had fallen a little better on us but we're still in the pack pushing the top of the league which should be and always is the bread and butter and we still have our best league start since 61. A lot of away games, a lot of injuries, a lot of confusion, a fair old amount to be deflated with on the surface but it ain't changing and we have to do our bit to ensure the season pans out as well as it can now. Not sure why but I'm quietly confident we'll get something out of the City game. It's a match where our players will know they have to be 100% up for it and win will really get the boys focused on what could potentially happen if we make the most of our league form, albeit on paper.

Plenty to look forward to even if there's been a few bumps so far, I don't think as supporters of the club we should be losing sight of that in any way shape or form
There will be more injuries yet. Always, with the injuries. We seem to get hit with them all the time, and each one takes a bite out of the team needing weeks or months to get back on track.

Solid post sir. COYS

i dont see why people are surprised we have been out of form with a lot of injuries it happen the year before where we look like shit in the cl against monaco etc we maybe out of cl but im not worried about this team we always semm to bounce back and catch a good run of form eriksen and dembele seem rested and ready to go now time for mancity

Ever since Poch put Winks on vs Chelsea and we conceded two goals, putting him in worries me. You just lose a big defensive edge and the opposition gets to run at you and gets chances. I will keep reiterating that I just don't think he is starting XI at this point and we can do a lot better.

Just watched the game again, for 90% we were feckin' excellent, just a couple of mental lapses, and one very bad decision, cost us ... no excuse we should have been out of sight long before Hugo's mistake ... I know there's a load of posters who love to glorify in our misfortunes but ...

No we weren't shit, no Poch hasn't lost it, no we're not going backwards ...

Disappointing, yup feckin' huge, not being in the CL last 16 will be a pisser, but let's be honest we were never winning it, the Europa League on the other hand is a trophy we could win ... look for the silver lining it will make your life so much better ....

Disappointing, yup feckin' huge, not being in the CL last 16 will be a pisser, but let's be honest we were never winning it, the Europa League on the other hand is a trophy we could win ... look for the silver lining it will make your life so much better ....
Liked your post in general - and something I'd like to quickly highlight here because I actually can't remember seeing it mentioned elsewhere...

If we don't win a trophy this season, then our 'silverwear every decade' since however long ago goes out of the window: League cup, FA cup, etc all with their finals in 2019... with next season bringing us into the 2020s.

What I'm saying is - if we end up with the chance of winning the Europa League (in the highly probable situation where we come third in the CL group) then we should go for it.

At what point does it go from the lads being reluctant to go for the kill to them not being good enough to do it, considering it happens so often? The fact that we have done it maybe twice this season so far despite leading in almost all of our matches says something to me. Our style of football isn't suitable for it. It all seems so obvious imo, and has done for two seasons now. We need better players.

The annoying thing is that it was a good performance that we threw away, just like Inter.

Even if you have 10 men you should be able to defend the free kick that they scored from, we cleared the first ball and just weren’t aggressive enough to deal with the second one. Exactly like the corner kick that Inter scored from. Our game management has been horrible this season.

Ever since Poch put Winks on vs Chelsea and we conceded two goals, putting him in worries me. You just lose a big defensive edge and the opposition gets to run at you and gets chances. I will keep reiterating that I just don't think he is starting XI at this point and we can do a lot better.[

So winks cant shoot, he doesn't make assists, and he doesn't have the defensive qualities you refer to. Can someone therefore tell me why people are raving about him, because I am confused

Just watched the game again, for 90% we were feckin' excellent, just a couple of mental lapses, and one very bad decision, cost us ... no excuse we should have been out of sight long before Hugo's mistake ... I know there's a load of posters who love to glorify in our misfortunes but ...

No we weren't shit, no Poch hasn't lost it, no we're not going backwards ...

Ah, but 90% of 90 minutes is not enough. It was not last year against Juve, it was not in 1st round against Inter, it was not yesterday. So generally - we are not going backwards. We are standing at the same place. But I don't think it is due to signings (or lack of). This has been everpresent thing under Poch - lapses of concentration and costly errors of even most prominent players....I mean what would we have done in transfer market? Buy a better CB than Alderweireld or buy better GK as Lloris?? In what universe?

I agree that generally we played well, but in the end we bottled it. I see little reason to sugarcoat it. First it was total lapse of Alderweireld (+it did f*ck all that Lloris was just standing on no mans land - he did not go for closing in on the player nor did he stand on his line) and then there was Lloris red. Plus the inability of converting our chances to actual goals...

It is a bitter pill to swallow, but it does not make sweeter if we just dance around it :(

Bro this is such a superficial analysis that I don't know where to begin.

It's not about "player X doesn't make that mistake".

It's about the entire game and season, not individual moments. With more quality we increase the odds that we have more and better spells of attacking play, and of course handle opposing spells better.

The entire game would have had a different narrative. Maybe that moment (backpass) occurs maybe it doesn't because we move the ball better or deal with pressure more confidently as a result of previous dominant performances etc. Or maybe that moment still happens but is insignificant as we are 2 up. Maybe we lose 10 nil! It's about investing to increase your chances.

I'm not here to answer a question about who we sign. It's a pointless as me asking how many other prem teams have never signed anyone during a summer window whilst having the highest paid chairman in the league and soon to be highest ticket prices.

Ah, screw you.
I have not seen you blaming inactivity in the transfer window for our best ever start to EPL!

This could-have-should-have-might-have hoodoo is absolutely empty and you know it yourself. And you come out saying that somenone else analysis was "superficial"? Gimme a break!

Just as legitimate can be hoodoo view of "but maybe we would have brought superstar player X and he would have come into the team and took place of established starter. This would have taken confidence of this established player who would have picked for the PSV game and he made error due to that". This could have happened as well.

Fact is that we had a strong side on the field, yet we still bottled it. I see hardly much material for wanking again around our summer window.

But at least I am happy for John Thomas. When we had this run of wins in EPL and record start, I started to think something has happened already! But ofc when we got a bad result, he is back and enjoying himself and situation to the fullest! Good for him!

Back
Top Bottom