Man Citeh (Away)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You mention Dempseys numbers but the difference between him and Aguero is Dempsey doesnt do anything....at all. Hes been annonymous imo, Aguero/Tevez put you on the back foot right away or stretch the play.
IMO Dempsey offers nothing other than being a goal poacher which in itself is valuable but you need more than that from your players when playing away from home v the current champions.

On the up side we have some big players to come back still.

I also think Walker needs to calm the fuck down, its like he does everything at 100% and is making mistakes that lead to goals.

Not disagreeing entirely, I don't underestimate the aaffect this can have.

However, week-in week-out we are playing a team of experienced top quality players. There aren't many in and around our first team that wouldn't get into every team outside the top five and a good few would get into the top five teams. So I am really struggling to understand why we always seem seem so passive when the opposition start to get on top of us. Historically (and this isn't a Harry vs AVB thing) when teams come at us we can be at our most dangerous, at the moment though we don't feel like getting back into a game once our opponents take control.

For sure especially with our pace. Thing is even taking that into consideration we still have had issues going back nearly 20 years of players not performing as they should. Be it through laziness or complacency. It's a criticism that absolutely needs to be addressed by AVB (and every other manager we've had pretty much since Venables.)

The major issue I had with the game was that it didn't feel like I was watching Spurs.

Sticking on five fucking defenders & trying to desperately cling on to a one-goal cushion/draw is the very antithesis of "TO DARE IS TO DO"

We had pretty much no threat going forward the whole game becuase we werent playing well enough.

I dont blame us for trying to hold on to the win, we had something like 2 shots on target the whole match, we would have just been wide hopen had we done anything else, its not like we have mega options on the bench either.

We had pretty much no threat going forward the whole game becuase we werent playing well enough.

I dont blame us for trying to hold on to the win, we had something like 2 shots on target the whole match, we would have just been wide hopen had we done anything else, its not like we have mega options on the bench either.

Fine, but then why did AVB persist with the ridiculous high line that led to literally about 6 goal-scoring opportunities for City? If you're trying to hold onto a lead then surely you would change the defensive system that had been getting carved open? Instead he put on Dawson, who is about as quick on the turn as a forklift truck.

Walker was injured, he had to bring him on. There were more high balls into the box so you are going to put Dawson on.
IMO he wanted to push the defence up to squeeze the midfield as we were getting outplayed there.

You think we should have tried to hang on as we'd only two shots on target? Might the very fact we had two shots on target not suggest we were too defensive? Our goal was massively against the run of play and completely undeserved. We got pumped through that whole match and invited City to do it too. Get beat by a better team if we must, but serve up gutless, ball-less defensive shite for ninety minutes and take the flack that'll surely come.

Lennon off, Naughton on. Fuck me backwards, what a fucking abomination of a substitution.

Walker got injured, fine. Replace him with Naughton. Full back for full back. Stop the high balls at source. Gallas at RB? Did AVB forget it was Gallas and think it was Thuram?

We were being outplayed, it was pbvious we would be on the back foot for periods, thats why he started with Ade.

When you have Silva Barry and Toure in a midfield 3 vs Sandro and Hudd you arent going to boss possession.

Honestly though, did anyone expect anything other than a loss?
They haven't lost a home game for 2 years, bring on Woolwich
Expected some pride. Expected us to have a go. Expected us to play with the intensity they did. Expected some attacking prowess.

Didn't necessarily expect to win. But with a bit more effort and tactical flexibility, we could have.

Expected some pride. Expected us to have a go. Expected us to play with the intensity they did. Expected some attacking prowess.

Didn't necessarily expect to win. But with a bit more effort and tactical flexibility, we could have.
That's some braveheart shit. Anyway, we just need to hold on until January. We've played all the top sides, away too, and without our main playmaker, main CB, main LB injured and our main Striker just starting his first game, it's not all doom and gloom.

It can only get better, they have to come back sooner or later.

I was happy with how we played first half. We had a good spell either side of our goal and Brad didn't have much to do. The main thing that went wrong second half for me was our passing; we got into a few good attacking positions and could've created more, but we couldn't keep hold of the ball. That and our risky defending was finally exposed.

We were second best, but if Dzeko hadn't scored at the death and we'd escaped with a draw it would hardly have been daylight robbery. I dunno, I think this performance seemed worse that it was because it has been preceded by a string of poor results and performances.
:hudd:

"Supporters" calling for AVB's head at this point of the season are just embarrassing themselves.
Should we not question his ability to manage at the highest level after some of our recent performances? If not, when may this begin? After we lose our next game? When we finish ninth? In three years time when we are still clueless?

That's some braveheart shit. Anyway, we just need to hold on until January. We've played all the top sides, away too, and without our main playmaker, main CB, main LB injured and our main Striker just starting his first game, it's not all doom and gloom.

It can only get better, they have to come back sooner or later.
Seriously. Can anyone really argue that we should be in a better position than we are starting Huddlestone (god bless his lumbering self) regularly? Nothing against Thudd, but his playing time is indicative of the injury problems we have and the lack of depth.

Should we not question his ability to manage at the highest level after some of our recent performances? If not, when may this begin? After we lose our next game? When we finish ninth? In three years time when we are still clueless?
He's not on the pitch and neither are many of our first choice XI. The only decision I truly question is Friedel over Lloris. I don't love some of the substitutions he's made, but in general I think he's hamstrung by injuries.

Back
Top Bottom