Spurs vs Inter @ Giuseppe Meazza|| Tue 16:55 GMT

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He used to do that a fucking lot. In the last two seasons he was excellent and stopped doing that shit.

Has looked a shell of his former self this season - no idea why. It can't be the contract issue as hes come out and said the club will extend it a year. Changing centre half partners every single game? Playing with a goalkeeper behind him who is scared of leaving his box?

Anyone that talks shit about Kane deserves to get 'proper served up'. He played very well last night. You are all fucking mad. Even Savage said he had been excellent.
I don't mind people calling him poor or that he has been performing poorly, truth is he has had a poor start to the season playing wise. I just can't stand when people call him shit or like sammy calling him pretty much finished and a new Rasiak. Disgusting

Kane played well but missed the only decent chance he had to score. The team didn't create much for him.
A partnership with Lucas is not happening, yet.

Kane was better in the second half - as was Dier.

In fact, as a team we were much better than we were in the first half. Though I'm not sure if that's down to us or the fact Inter Milan blew their load in the first 30 minutes which gave us more space and confidence to play.

If you were any team playing us right now, you would simply instruct them to press us from the start because fuck me, we don't like it.

Spurs' midfield changes, plus lack of chances for Kane, are behind their three straight losses

"...Tottenham’s defense is struggling. Over five league matches this season, Spurs have allowed 73 shot attempts. That’s a lot. The most shots Spurs allowed during a five-match stretch in either of the last two league campaigns was 61, and that came at the end of the ’17-18 season, when the team had nothing on the line.

Now, shot attempts do not necessarily tell a complete story of defensive ineptitude, but with Spurs it is particularly concerning. Manager Mauricio Pochettino’s defensive strategy is based on strangling the game with a high press that seeks to prevent the opposition from attacking in the final third. His teams tend to concede very few shots but will occasionally give up a good chance when the first line of the press breaks. A major increase in shots conceded suggests that Pochettino’s preferred defensive tactic isn’t working..."

"...Harry Kane is still not getting very many shots. He has take just 12 shots in five matches after averaging more than five shots per 90 minutes in recent seasons. Is he still feeling the lingering effects on an ankle injury or is he exhausted from a long season and international play? Or perhaps he is struggling to work in a two-striker system? It’s hard to say. So far this season, a lame attack has not been Spurs’ primary problem. But perhaps a few extra Kane shots per match could have carried the team when the defense struggled, and certainly this Tottenham team cannot afford to pivot away from its dependence on Kane’s production..."

637496cd0b0d00468f579c4910377f12.png

In fact, as a team we were much better than we were in the first half. Though I'm not sure if that's down to us or the fact Inter Milan blew their load in the first 30 minutes which gave us more space and confidence to play.

If you were any team playing us right now, you would simply instruct them to press us from the start because fuck me, we don't like it.
To me, it's not that simple. We dealt with their press, they gained nothing from it. What's the point of any team pressing like dervishes if it yields zero opportunities for you? Davies aside we played out through their press multiple times. It was only Davies that was struggling as a result of the pressing but still, they didn't create anything as a result.

There is an awful lot of bollocks spoken about pressing and in the comms last night and listening to Hoddle in the studio at halftime was one of those moments. Whilst they were pressing us in the first 30 mins or so, the comms kept saying "just get rid". Why? they aren't profiting from it. Sure we could have been far better i.e. Had Davies not been so shit in this time we wouldn't have turned over possession so much, it would have resulted in us with more control on the ball and therefore able to control the tempo too. But had we done just what the comms wanted and 'get rid" it would have come back. We are deliberately drawing the oppo onto us. Commentary these days have loose sphincters, they get scared this transmits to the fans watching. Their press was shit because it resulted in nothing, it was totally ineffective.

The more they pressed the less I worried, I was completely comfortable. By contrast, I was NOT comfortable when City do it to us, there is a massive difference between the two presses.

Now onto Hoddle, at halftime he was saying our press on them was shit. It wasn't, it was different, different from the high pressing Tottenham we have seen over the past three seasons. What was different was that we were not pressing high with the aim to win the ball (this is what we have done and what Inter were trying to do), last night we pressed with low intensity, we pressed at an angle from the outside running in, we did this because we wanted them to play the ball long and down the middle, so that we could challenge for the 2nd ball. At no time did we attempt to press to win the ball high. We did engage them in the midfield though and were good at it. For all the talk of us misplacing passes (Mainly Davies) we made them misplace far more.

TDLR: It depends who and how we are pressed. Last night was in the main so comfortable for us (Davies aside). City scare the fuck out of me and we can't cope with it.

Can anyone shed some light on 4 minutes 'Fergietime'. I know Vorm was booked for time wasting but can't remember any injuries or the physio on?
I know it's grasping at straws and has no bearing now, but 4 minutes?
Also Kane's unwillingness to use his left foot. He went round the keeper on his left side. It was a fine angle but could he have slid it in with his left? Injury or lack of confidence?

So never heard of killing the game with a second?

We’d have a better chance of doing that without Kane. That’s a simple fact these days.

I don't think Kane was that bad in the Inter game.
He fluffed a couple chances, but, that could happen to anybody.
Not saying he is in form, but it was at least better than we've seen lately.
If nothing else, is still more likely to score a pen than anybody else on our team.

I don't mind people calling him poor or that he has been performing poorly, truth is he has had a poor start to the season playing wise. I just can't stand when people call him shit or like sammy calling him pretty much finished and a new Rasiak. Disgusting

Awww good old Dane....you want him dropped but you say it nicely.

Man up, he’s been utter shit and that’s why he needs a few games on the bench.
Wrap it up in all the rainbows cotton wool and “great hold up play” all you want, when push comes to shove he’s been no better than Shane Long recently.
Worse in fact.

Can anyone shed some light on 4 minutes 'Fergietime'. I know Vorm was booked for time wasting but can't remember any injuries or the physio on?
I know it's grasping at straws and has no bearing now, but 4 minutes?
Also Kane's unwillingness to use his left foot. He went round the keeper on his left side. It was a fine angle but could he have slid it in with his left? Injury or lack of confidence?

3 goals
6 subs

I'd say 4 minutes was probably standard. It's also no excuse for failing to get at least a point out of the game.

I don't think Kane was that bad in the Inter game.
He fluffed a couple chances, but, that could happen to anybody.
Not saying he is in form, but it was at least better than we've seen lately.
If nothing else, is still more likely to score a pen than anybody else on our team.

For me it’s what he’s not doing that’s a problem and I don’t mean scoring.

I mean fighting.

Son and Lamela are running half the pitch to close down men a couple feet away from Kane.
I think his fuel self preservation tactic is unfair on others.
And he does it so often he forgets when it’s actually worth chasing something or jumping.

It’s literally a case of if it’s more than 50cm from his foot it’s a lost cause.

For me it’s what he’s not doing that’s a problem and I don’t mean scoring.

I mean fighting.

Son and Lamela are running half the pitch to close down men a couple feet away from Kane.
I think his fuel self preservation tactic is unfair on others.
And he does it so often he forgets when it’s actually worth chasing something or jumping.

It’s literally a case of if it’s more than 50cm from his foot it’s a lost cause.

Well, I don't disagree with you over that. If you look back, I was one of the first (along with you, I believe) to state that Harry returned too quickly from injury last season. He just seems slightly burned out, which I think can be seen here and there in moments where he tunes out or loses focus. Shitty pressing is definitely one of those areas.

Team barely had a pre-season and our press is collectively awful though. The constant formation and position changes haven't been helpful for a team trying to play it's way into form and rhythm. I think we will suffer for a little while longer until the squad can find it's feet again. Poch can help by going back to a strict 4-2-3-1 or 3-4-3 and sticking with it until we do.

Another thing- we didn't travel with a spare CB for the bench. That is extremely worrying.
Foyth should have been in the CL squad, but our CL homegrown situation is fucked.
Not being able to field a diversified bench is just asking to be punished.
Hopefully this was just a one-off and Toby can travel with us next time.

So for the first 30 or so mins why not stop trying to play it out from the back?

None of defenders looked comfortable and neither did Vorm but Hugo doesn’t either to be fair to Vorm

Back
Top Bottom