Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Very much disagree.

Poch has worked out spectacularly well, and is 10/10 so far. I count as poor or meh almost all the other interventions or managerial decisions he's made since taking over. With the exception of getting Harry in (panic buy if ever there was one), I'd say they've all been poor.

Firing Raincoat 2 weeks before FA semi (Jeez, even if we win the final, you can still fire him in the Summer, you know the fans hate him);
Not firing Hoddle at the end of his 2nd season, the last half of which had been an absolute shit show. Clear to everyone he'd completely lost it;
Relying on a caretaker, Pleat, for almost the whole of the next season;
Santini FFS. 6 months to identify someone, and he lasts 6 weeks (?) ;
Ramos - no experience in the PL. Complete gamble on someone whose success in Spain was massively down to a brilliant DoF with outstanding scouting ability. Due diligence should have picked this up;
Harry - don't fire someone unless you KNOW you've got someone better lined up. We didn't. I don't care whether he "deserved" to go for taking his eye off the ball. Talk about cutting off noses to spite. Ergo keep him another season surely and take that year to identify someone better for the long term;
AVB - a disaster in the PL before us. Typical Levy signing - cheap as no fee to be paid (Chavs paid up his contact in full, £13m I gather);
Tictacs TImmy - actually did OK for most of the season. But again, it sacked off the season because he's not a long term option.

Levy's got some major pluses - steady financials; great training ground; brand new stadium (fingers crossed); he's backed alot of the managers with transfer funds. But the manager is the 2nd most important person at the club. It's Levy's job to get it right and 80% of the time his judgement has been really poor.
Firstly I think the transfer window is a failure and last minute brinkmanship should surely be over. That being said I would say get the right manager is an almost Impossible job to pull off. I would say at least 80% of clubs managerial picks across the footballing world would be construed as a failure. The trick is if you get a good one you look after them. Liverpool have never been able to replace the the shanks paisley Dalglish boot room trilogy . Man u were 20 years in the wilderness until they lucked out on fergie and they nearly sacked him.

If and its a big if this transfer window destroys the levy poch relationship then you can count this as his biggest mistake. By luck or by design we have the finest manager tottenham has had in a generation. Levy job is to ensure we hang on to him.

It's just that Joe and the others are the REAL fans

Yes we are. We support the team through thick and thin, and we don’t stop going in November. I notice Bill Madrid Bill Madrid gave you a funny for this. That doesn’t surprise me. He’s old, out of touch, and too used to living off the fat of the land. I don’t take him seriously either. He’s a 60 year old child. You’re heading the same way yourself Dane. Grow up. stop pretending you’re a Spurs fan and find a nice Danish girl to settle down with and have kids. I say this as a mate.

I'm quietly confident that we'll finish in the top four. But that's because Pochettino is a manager we should tie down for the next 10 years and he will probably find a solution in case we're going to struggle, say Eriksen or any other key player picks an injury (I hope not). If the football gods spare us of Lady Injuries, then I think our first 11 is pretty strong and with Moura settled in and hopefully Aurier in a better shape (same goes for Trips), I think we can do better than last season.
Can't say I'm not disappointed not to have seen a player in considering that we're moving to our new great stadium and the excitement would have been bigger if we bought even one very good player, but it's something we'll get over when we'll win a few games into the season (and imo that's the key for a very good season, we always start slow, hopefully this time around we'll do better). The problem is that we seem to move in circles when our targets are not for sale and we don't have any good back-up alternatives. We were linked with a few players like NDombele but have we put an official bid for them? I doubt. We were after Grealish and it took so long that we fucked it up. Then we had no other player to try and bring in. Levy must work on the scouting staff because they're supposed to go around the continent and beyond and report what they found.
No matter what I'll support the club and the team. COYS!

Last edited:
I love that we have all these people here with intimate knowledge of the Levy Pochettino relationship....we should give them their own section of the forum and charge people to read their posts...

Very interesting and on point article.
We have people defending no signings why exactly?
No doubt this statement from the trust would make a select few go crimson with rage at such sensible sentiments.

The Trust are just trying to justify their influence (or lack thereof) ... remember they were telling us not 6 months ago that the "fans were in uproar" about season ticket prices and "very many wouldn't renew" ... how did that work out? looks like a record number of renewals ... so go figure ...

Then this sentence -

"It told us we could not expect players to be signed or wages to be competitive while we opposed those ticket price rises. Fans have paid the prices asked. And yet no signings have been made. We know that gate receipts are no longer as fundamental as they once were for financing transfer fees or wages. But ticketing income at Spurs is now higher than it has ever been. We are curious as to what that money has been used for. We have been told the stadium build will not affect transfer spending"

Well it's not that hard to work out, especially for a group supposedly well informed, the increase revenue from season tickets and match day tickets will bring in an estimated additional 45m this year ... so if 100% were spent on transfers that equals 1.5 Sissokos ... but ... as we've already spent some 35m on new player contracts, with more to be spent on renewing a few others, there's no money left ... so 'curious' people it's pretty bloody obvious what the monies (much of which which have yet to be received) are being spent on ....

If we were to maintain our 51% income-to-salaries ratio we will increase our wages by some 70m this year ... that's far more than the increased capacity and ticket prices will bring .... so there's your answer THST

The new ground will generate substantial funds, but not before it's even finished, have some feckin' patience, we've been on an upward curve for a decade let's see it through ....

Whilst THST do plenty of good things, representing the entire fan base is not always one of them, a small semi-representative cult, is probably a more apt description ....

I personally feel it's much easier to get caught up in the emotion of the day when we have a bad game and react negatively in the moment overall tho very few would criticise Poch harshly.

I feel the same about Levy , slightly dissatisfied with this window thought we might get one or two but ultimately pretty happy Poch and Kane were tied up and we've built world class facilities, Levy in the bigger picture has done incredibly well so I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.
I think that's reasonablish, and for the record, despite what some would have you believe, I've never once uttered the words Levy/Enic Out (or any equivalent thereof) on here, anywhere else on the internet or in conversation in the real world.

I'd like to see them learn from their mistakes, or take the legitimate criticism that's levelled at them on board, part of which would be that of transparency, which they seem to have a real problem with, despite trying to make ammends.

Someone mentioned the Sissoko case which was a good point I thought, better not to panic buy at a ridiculously inflated price at the last minute, 100% agree, we don't know if that's "mistake they've learnt from", but fair play if so. The only thing I'd add is that it doesn't excuse not tying up deals earlier. Somebody (Totti?) was pining for the days of Baldini, me too (I thought I was the only one), I think we need to look at our scouting/prioritising/negotiating strategy and bring in someone to take charge of that.

Still, we can go round and round in circles about transfers, the real business starts tomorrow. A repeat of last year would be nice.

YIDS

I read somewhere, I a tweet about Swansea I think that it's still possible to get players on loan until the international windows closes.

Any of you guys know if this is true?

Loan Ndombele with an option to buy in January. Loan Toby to United and Martial from United with an option to switch I January.

That is interesting.

And as I mentioned on hear a few days ago Real Madrid also haven't bought a FIRST TEAM player since Kroos. All their attention has been on youth and only Asensio looks to be the one to truly break through. They signed Courtoise this summer, and you would assume that he will make the first team ahead of Navas, but that's not a given right now, but they did sell their number one prized asset and worshiped demi-God Ronaldo too.

Well reasoned! :pochshock2:

I thought my post was relatively polite towards you. Oh well, you keep on fighting the good fight, son.

By the way, the supporters trust doesn't speak for everyone.

Peace out.

Some of these blinkered idiots wouldn't recognise a genuine, sincere conversational exchange if they'd just paid for one having walked into a big tent marked "Sincere conversations for sale"; at best it's snarky comedy and laying 'agenda mines'.

Experimenting with the ignore function this week. Makes for a serene (albeit surreal) reading experience, but I think the quota of quality conversations I'm having has risen a little... Coincidence? We'll see.... :gallashmm:

And as I mentioned on hear a few days ago Real Madrid also haven't bought a FIRST TEAM player since Kroos. All their attention has been on youth and only Asensio looks to be the one to truly break through. They signed Courtoise this summer, and you would assume that he will make the first team ahead of Navas, but that's not a given right now, but they did sell their number one prized asset and worshiped demi-God Ronaldo too.
I will be interested to see how Vinicius Jr goes. Lots of money for a young Brazilian.
They're loading up. The bids for Mpabbe/Neymar/Hazard/Salah/Icardi will come next summer. They'll hibernate for 12 months until they can splash the cash again.

I don't like that we've signed no one as there surely has to have been someone we could have bought. Maybe we needed to act sooner?
But like anything results will dictate the response. If we falter to 5th or 6th then questions of this window can be asked. If top 4 is attained then well done. Some trophy of note and Poch will have been proven right that we can improve organically. Anything below 6th has little bearing on our lack of signings as this squad should not stoop so low.

Back
Top Bottom