2018 FIFA WORLD CUP RUSSIA 14th June - 15th July

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Than that's tactics, nothing to do with the player.

..But, both tactics and ability/form play a part in any subsequent performance, no?

Especially when you consider why Sterling is in that role and why he was rightfully doubted before the tournament even started.

I'm not overtly down on Sterling; just dont think the net benefit of him in that role was worth the impact it had on Kane.

I have a distinct fear we're gonna "sacrifice' Harry at Int. level in a similar way we have other 'best' players in the past... If we carry on in this vein after the WC these fears will escalate further.

Buoyed by this tournament, we could sleepwalk into the same issues all over again.

Venables got a team involving Shearer, Sheringham, Neville, Gascoigne, Campbell etc. to a semi final of a European Championship.

Robson got a team involving Lineker, Gascoigne, Robson, Barnes, Waddle etc. to a semi final of a World Cup.

Southgate got a team involving Maguire, Young, Henderson, Lingard and Sterling to a semi final of a World Cup.

I mean bettered was probably a stretch (though was more aimed at the squad differences and how weak Southgates squad is compared to what Robson and Venables had), but the fact he has ZERO managerial honours and got that team to a semi final shows he has something about him at international level.

Most of all, he has the respect of his young players. He gave them belief. That's a lot more important than what honours he has on his CV.

Is Southgate a better manager than Venables and Robson? No.

But you don't need to be.
Different times. Venebales and Robson weren't coming up against Panama and Tunisia, Southgate is not even in the same league of managers as them two.
I've said several times that he's done better than I thought, and seems to have the players motivated.

Different times. Venebales and Robson weren't coming up against Panama and Tunisia, Southgate is not even in the same league of managers as them two.
I've said several times that he's done better than I thought, and seems to have the players motivated.

Cameroons?

Then that's all that should matter.

To think of replacing him after that campaign is absurd. He 100% deserves to be the man who takes them through qualifying for the European Championships in 2020 and lead his men out there.

Remember the Euros will be held across Europe so potentially he gets to lead his team out at Wembley at some stage, which would be fucking amazing considering his story.

Venables got a team involving Shearer, Sheringham, Neville, Gascoigne, Campbell etc. to a semi final of a European Championship.

Robson got a team involving Lineker, Gascoigne, Robson, Barnes, Waddle etc. to a semi final of a World Cup.

Southgate got a team involving Maguire, Young, Henderson, Lingard and Sterling to a semi final of a World Cup.

I mean bettered was probably a stretch (though was more aimed at the squad differences and how weak Southgates squad is compared to what Robson and Venables had), but the fact he has ZERO managerial honours and got that team to a semi final shows he has something about him at international level.

Most of all, he has the respect of his young players. He gave them belief. That's a lot more important than what honours he has on his CV.

Is Southgate a better manager than Venables and Robson? No.

But you don't need to be.

But were you alive for it ? Or do you remember it personally ?

Only in England can you get someone speaking about replacing a manager who just got this squad to a World Cup semi final.

Words fail me.
Who has asked for him to be replaced?
Words never fail you, you can spew more bullshit than any man alive. Youre the perfect example of quantity over quality

Then that's all that should matter.

To think of replacing him after that campaign is absurd. He 100% deserves to be the man who takes them through qualifying for the European Championships in 2020 and lead his men out there.

Remember the Euros will be held across Europe so potentially he gets to lead his team out at Wembley at some stage, which would be fucking amazing considering his story.
I didn't say he needs replacing. Try reading before you bash out another pointless post

He's a last resort that's done really well with what he's got , I'd personally refuse to acknowledge the Euro's if Southgate was replaced now.
IMO Southgate is on his way to getting it right. Don't forget we were without a true attacking midfield with the likes of Winks, Ox and Lallana and even Shelvey. So once we have that area sorted I think we'll only get better

..But, both tactics and ability/form play a part in any subsequent performance, no?

Especially when you consider why Sterling is in that role and why he was rightfully doubted before the tournament even started.

I'm not overtly down on Sterling; just dont think the net benefit of him in that role was worth the impact it had on Kane.

I have a distinct fear we're gonna "sacrifice' Harry at Int. level in a similar way we have other 'best' players in the past... If we carry on in this vein after the WC these fears will escalate further.

Buoyed by this tournament, we could sleepwalk into the same issues all over again.
Kane is a number 10 though, he's played that role before to great effect. In fact it was debated for two seasons what actually is his best role, a CF or 10. I feel that most would agree he's a mixture of both, likened to a Sheringham rather than a Shearer.

he's unique in football. He's an all-round forward capable of holding the ball up with his back to gaol, bringing in others but give him a yard and he will turn and take it. He plays beyond the width of the penalty box and drops very deep too. So he's a classic number 9, false 9, 10, false 10 (if that's actually a thing now) and even then plays deeper and wider than most in these positions. There really isn't a more versatile 'forward' in the game right now.

It matters because your opinions made it quite clear to all of us that watched those tournaments

My opinion that Southgate has matched Venables and Robsons achievement of reaching a semi final of an international tournament has made what clear?

Back
Top Bottom