TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs chelsea

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Good point, but I'll go fucking mental if we drop Defoe to accommodate Siggy

Sammy, the only reason Siggy even played today was because Dembele and Bale were missing. Defoe won't be dropped for Siggy any time soon - Ade has to be given a run and prove himself first, hopefully with Defoe.

When we bought him I thought he'd be a great backup for VdV behind the main striker. Unfortunately VdV left and that position is being shared by two new players in Gylfi and Dempsey who haven't hit the ground running like Dembele and Vertonghen have and don't have the same level of talent in terms of passing.

The way I see it that position needs to be reinvented to work for them and the only way I see that happening is if Adebayor plays as the lone striker.
Hmm, not so sure. Ade likes to drop deep at time to have create play as well as score. Would that benefit these players? I guess it depends on whether or not Gylfi ir Dempsey can pick up balls from Adebayor even if Ade is playing ahead of them. I reckon Dempsey could do it, but could Gylfi?

What it needs is for AVB to try different combinations. Playing Ade behind Defoe for instance (we know from last year that this can work). Trying the combination you suggested and see if it bear fruit. I had hoped to see this from him by now as we were lead to believe that we'd be seeing tactical variations and squad rotation. Let's see them now please Andre.

was a bit pissed off at the empty seats. people know my views on giving stick if needed [imo] but today, they deserved a fucking big hand off that pitch, cos they gave it everything.
Whilst I agree with you, I think on this occasion it was understandable. I wouldn't have left, but I can imagine that a lot of the fans just couldn't bear to listen to the chav gloating when the last goal went in. At least there wasn't any booing (that I was aware of anyhow).

Sammy, the only reason Siggy even played today was because Dembele and Bale were missing. Defoe won't be dropped for Siggy any time soon - Ade has to be given a run and prove himself first, hopefully with Defoe.

I was responding to Zins post who said:

"The way I see it that position needs to be reinvented to work for them and the only way I see that happening is if Adebayor plays as the lone striker."

That means dropping Defoe, to accomodate a partnership with Siggy and Ade (the way I read it at least)

Id rather play 4-4-2 on the evidence, as Siggy has not shown me that he can offer anywhere near what VDV did.

Whilst I agree with you, I think on this occasion it was understandable. I wouldn't have left, but I can imagine that a lot of the fans just couldn't bear to listen to the chav gloating when the last goal went in. At least there wasn't any booing (that I was aware of anyhow).

but for me, its about our team, fuck the chelscum cunts, we should have stayed and outsung them. [easy for me to say sat in devon, i know] but i felt the team today gave it everything and deserved support.

I was responding to Zins post who said:

"The way I see it that position needs to be reinvented to work for them and the only way I see that happening is if Adebayor plays as the lone striker."

That means dropping Defoe, to accomodate a partnership with Siggy and Ade (the way I read it at least)

Id rather play 4-4-2 on the evidence, as Siggy has not shown me that he can off anywhere near what VDV did.

Yes I know you were... I agree with Zin regarding Siggy needing Ade. Siggy isn't like Van der Vaart in the slightest though, it's unfair to compare him to Rafa.

In hindsight, what we could have done at 2-1.

Walker...................Gallas...................Caulker.................Vertonghen

Lennon..................Sandro.................Livermore.................Townsend

....................................Ade...............Defoe

All about the outlet's

Anyone think Defoe can play off the left or right behind Adebayor rather than in the Gylfi/Dempsey position?

Also Friedal looked his age today. Not coming out of his goal line and just not good enough really. Don't get me wrong I love Brad and think he's a top top professional. But Lloris has got to be our no.1 goalkeeper.
I don't think Brad made any major mistakes today. Yes, he isn't as athletic, but I'm 100% behind AVB's handling of the keeper situation. It's absolutely correct that a keeper of Brad's quality and professionalism shouldn't be dumped in favour of a younger man overnight. He should be allowed to continue until his game begins to get shakey, which, lets face it, won't be that long away. It's not as if Lloris isn't getting any games like Gomes. If Lloris has a career as long as Brad's or someone like David James then he has 16 -17 years of playing time. If he's not professional enough to be a bit patient while his veteran counterpart winds down over the course of half a season or so, then you have to wonder if he has the right attitude to polay for us. Fortunately I don't think that is the case.

Tottenham haven't made me this sad, since we last lost to Chelsea :-(
Personally, dropping points at home to teams like Norwich pisses me off a lot more than losing to the league leaders after we gave a spirited display (for the most part). The way we sat back in the earlier games of the season had me far more pissed off. I don't care who we lose to or by how much if I see players giving it a good try for most of the game. Putting in good effort for the shirt makes a world of difference for me.

Not if we want to drop Defoe in order for him to essentially replace VDV it is'nt

No one said anything about dropping Defoe though. You brought up that. We were talking about Siggy. I think Siggy and Ade should be tried in the Europa League, for example. Defoe and Ade in the Premier League at home.

but for me, its about our team, fuck the chelscum cunts, we should have stayed and outsung them. [easy for me to say sat in devon, i know] but i felt the team today gave it everything and deserved support.
There was no coming back from the fourth goal, there simply wasn't enough time to recover and even get a draw. We'd lost by then and so I don't blame them feeling gutted and not reallly feeling up to singing. It's earlier in the games when they sit there quietly that pisses me off.

What we really needed to see was Townsend at half time. We had so many good counterattacking opportunities which slowed up when they went through Dempsey, who looked shot after international duty.

There was no coming back from the fourth goal, there simply wasn't enough time to recover and even get a draw. We'd lost by then and so I don't blame them feeling gutted and not reallly feeling up to singing. It's earlier in the games when they sit there quietly that pisses me off.

suppose so. dejected, like i was, barely had it in me to kick the watering can up the garden. still did though. lucky its a plastic one.

Back
Top Bottom