Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don’t consider him a greedy bastard. He knows that he can make more money elsewhere and has decided that’s his primary motivating factor, that’s his prerogative. It’s not as if he ever gave the club a reason to believe otherwise, he’s been an exceedingly valuable player for us during his stay - but his career is a mercenary one and he hasn’t really tried to hide that.

It’d be foolish for the club to flush money down the drain at this point. They did the right thing in getting Sanchez last summer. This summer we still have moderate control of the situation - we can tell United to piss off and offer him out to the big continental clubs at a price somewhere between the £50M valuation United has and the £25M he’ll walk for next season. If that fails we can play hardball over Matial and try to pry him away (if, indeed, that’s Poch’s wish).

But in the end if he really wants to go to United then we really can’t stop him. If we refuse to sell this summer he can just wait it out. He’s good enough that even if he was frozen out and sent to the reserves, United would still pay £25M for him next summer.

I’m just ready for the end of the saga. Sign a deal or move on, it’s just all a bit tiring. Though I don’t expect anything to happen until after the WC. Coming back from a injury, in particular, I doubt United or any other club wants to commit to a deal until he’s back from Russia intact. And so it will continue to drag on...and TFC will keep arguing over it.

I dont think its greed per se, I think he wants to leave......his wage demands have a double benefit for him, as he knows full well he wont get 180k a week here, at his age, with his injury problems and after falling down the ranks behind Sanchez.

So it makes him look good to the more gooey eyd fans that he hasnt demanded a move, despite making demands that wont be met. That way he gets his dream move eventually, his wage hike and said fans slate the club and still hero worship Toby.

I dont think its greed per se, I think he wants to leave......his wage demands have a double benefit for him, as he knows full well he wont get 180k a week here, at his age, with his injury problems and after falling down the ranks behind Sanchez.

So it makes him look good to the more gooey eyd fans that he hasnt demanded a move, despite making demands that wont be met. That way he gets his dream move eventually, his wage hike and said fans slate the club and still hero worship Toby.
6 of one, have a dozen of the other I think. As you say, he ain’t getting what he’s asked unless Poch throws a fit over it - and that doesn’t seem to be likely at all. So we should sell while we can get maximum compensation. I just don’t understand supporters who think we can refuse United this summer and they’ll magically fuck off in 2019 and he’ll have to go play in Greece.

6 of one, have a dozen of the other I think. As you say, he ain’t getting what he’s asked unless Poch throws a fit over it - and that doesn’t seem to be likely at all. So we should sell while we can get maximum compensation. I just don’t understand supporters who think we can refuse United this summer and they’ll magically fuck off in 2019 and he’ll have to go play in Greece.

Yep.....turn down 55-75M to make a "statement", then sell for 25M next year because we have no choice.

And they talk about embarrassing ourselves

Think Sterling's treatment is bad, imagine what the media would do with him

Translation:

On the opp block take the piss = in rival gang territory take liberties

Them man don't know about trappin, them man don't even know where cunch is = those fellas don't know how to drug deal or deal in countryside hotspots/across county lines

Sawn off rusty one = shotgun

Also I can't understand him properly but 50% sure he praises another rapper from a Tottenham gang (RV) heavily involved in guns, knives and drugs.

Reo Griffiths, he's one of our ownnn

LOL. Well I’m guessing that

A/. It’s one way we will find out if any daily mail journalists visit this site.

B/. This boy has no social media “team”

C/. He’s wearing an official England training Top?

Long term he’s going to have to watch the company he keeps if that’s more than just talk / bravado. Just need to focus on football not running your mouth on social media about being in other gang areas.

If he’s from north London I’ve coached lads from that area, all got stories to tell. Wouldn’t want to bring my boy up around there anyway.

LOL. Well I’m guessing that

A/. It’s one way we will find out if any daily mail journalists visit this site.

B/. This boy has no social media “team”

C/. He’s wearing an official England training Top?

Long term he’s going to have to watch the company he keeps if that’s more than just talk / bravado. Just need to focus on football not running your mouth on social media about being in other gang areas.

If he’s from north London I’ve coached lads from that area, all got stories to tell. Wouldn’t want to bring my boy up around there anyway.

17yr old kid from Tottenham acting hard on internet shocker

giphy.gif

Genuinely spat my coffee out with that second Paragraph!!!!
You're the first to label any player that demands a move a cunt, now you're cunting off Toby for not demanding a move.

And he fell behind Sanchez on ability:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
Nothing to do with being frozen out due to his unwillingness to sign the contract being presented of course. Much like Walker last year.

180k a week wage demands!!!!. Oh. Yeah...Of course. Some twitter rumours so it must be fact then...
Thanks for the comedy Sammy. Set me up for the day pal:thumbup:

giphy.gif

Genuinely spat my coffee out with that second Paragraph!!!!
You're the first to label any player that demands a move a cunt, now you're cunting off Toby for not demanding a move.

And he fell behind Sanchez on ability:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
Nothing to do with being frozen out due to his unwillingness to sign the contract being presented of course. Much like Walker last year.

180k a week wage demands!!!!. Oh. Yeah...Of course. Some twitter rumours so it must be fact then...
Thanks for the comedy Sammy. Set me up for the day pal:thumbup:

I didn’t mention his ability I said he fell behind Sanchez in the ranks.

Isn’t it funny that you laugh like a weird moron over Twitter rumours about his wage demands.

Then become filled with rage like a weird moron and start slagging off the club.......over Twitter rumours that we are going to sell him to Utd.

You seem to pick and choose what to believe. In your very same post you have cited the reason he was dropped was for not signing the new contract.
Something you have previously denied and passed off as Twitter rumours.
Then laugh off his rumoured wage demands.

Basically you claim he refused to sign, but find it hilarious that the reason is because the money offered is not enough.
All rumours, yet you filter out what suits you.

And again, I’m the one who has been saying he was dropped by Poch over all this. You have disagreed with that previously, now you are using it as your argument.
I’ve never said he was dropped on his ability, I said he’s been rubbish since he came back.
That’s due to his “unwillingness” to play for Spurs I guess.

I didn’t mention his ability I said he fell behind Sanchez in the ranks.

Isn’t it funny that you laugh like a weird moron over Twitter rumours about his wage demands.

Then become filled with rage like a weird moron and start slagging off the club.......over Twitter rumours that we are going to sell him to Utd.

You seem to pick and choose what to believe. In your very same post you have cited the reason he was dropped was for not signing the new contract.
Something you have previously denied and passed off as Twitter rumours.
Then laugh off his rumoured wage demands.

Basically you claim he refused to sign, but find it hilarious that the reason is because the money offered is not enough.
All rumours, yet you filter out what suits you.

And again, I’m the one who has been saying he was dropped by Poch over all this. You have disagreed with that previously, now you are using it as your argument.
I’ve never said he was dropped on his ability, I said he’s been rubbish since he came back.
That’s due to his “unwillingness” to play for Spurs I guess.
Keep going mate. It just gets better and better. So you claim he fell behind Sanchez in the pecking order. But now admit this had nothing to do with ability. I like that bit.

Keep going mate. It just gets better and better. So you claim he fell behind Sanchez in the pecking order. But now admit this had nothing to do with ability. I like that bit.

First and foremost he was dropped for not committing to the club. He wasnt dropped for lack of ability as a footballer.
Sanchez ability has proven that he was not worth the money he wanted, and thats why he will be sold.

You´re bizarre mock tactic is failing hard mate. You know it, and I know it.
You´re better when you actually believe what you´re saying, even if I disagree....this "haha hehe" thing doesnt suit you, because its you that looks like the tit.

A year from now we have no control. If he indeed wants to go to Manchester then both clubs would be in with a £25M bid and offering him buku wages accounting for the knock-down in transfer fee. The wages they’d offer would be of the same level as what anyone in Europe offers, so it’d be down to whether he wanted out of England.

Likely result, either way, if he wants silly wages and to remain in a familiar league is he goes to Manchester. Only difference between do we get 1 more year out of him, where he may or may not be motivated and committed, at the cost of £25M.

If he’s not willing to sign a new deal, we need to sell. The only control we have is in this summer. Wait a year and we’re basically renting a potentially bitter Toby for £25M+ for the season on the gamble that next summer he’d prefer to play for Barca.

Yes of course, but clubs like PSG and from Spain would bid and match those wages. Whether Tony would prefer a club in England or on the continent I have no idea. Don't see how anyone can know what's in someone else's head.

Either way, assuming he left on s year, we'd get another year, deny a key rival another year, and still get paid a very good fee for the players age.

I expect Levy will sell this summer but it's not what I'd be doing.

Which is why he´s an extremely succesfull chairman.

You get to build billion pound stadiums by turning down 50M willy nilly

Absolutely true. Theres also an arguement that's why we've not won anything/won't win anything though because it's money now rather than potential money and trophies later.

In the past it was the right thing to do but we've reached a level now where I feel it's no longer the correct decision.

You seem to pick and choose what to believe.
Funny you mention this. I stumbled across this gem a few minutes ago.
It's clear what Poch is really saying though

"Toby is one of the best defenders in the world. But the boss has made it clear our wage structure won't support such elite players so it's best to protect our profit by keeping the player injury free until the transfer window opens"

Lost in translation probaby.

To save having to click up to the post John is responding to, here's what Pochettino's actually said:

"If we are happy with the players who are playing, you need to wait. That does not mean [Toby] is not going to play again. Maybe he is going to play again. But now he needs to keep pushing and try to show me he can play better than the others."

Absolutely true. Theres also an arguement that's why we've not won anything/won't win anything though because it's money now rather than potential money and trophies later.

In the past it was the right thing to do but we've reached a level now where I feel it's no longer the correct decision.
Unless we somehow developed a philosopher's stone and can operate on an endless budget that is just not true.

The books have to be balanced. End off. Preferrably we need to make a profit every year.

One bad year financially, especially at this point can send the entire project tumbling back down.

The best teams can win things whilst balancing the books.

And just as the books need to be balanced so does the squad. I'm not saying that Toby is actively causing trouble but if he wants out he can be a distraction in the locker room. And having a disruptive voice in the locker room can cause fare more trouble to a title campaign then if we made a profit or loss on transfers.

Last edited:
I'm still confused as to why there is this huge cuntoff over our #3 center half. Yes, he's a very, very good #3 center half (if he's healthy) but it's also clear that is what he is to us now. The club has moved on with someone younger, pacier and fitter.

If he stays as an overqualified squad player - fantastic for us. If he goes and brings in 50m to spend on other areas of the squad - also fantastic for us.

Short memories. Going up to and into the Real Madrid match, he was the #1 centre half. He was lauded across this board and across the premier league. Has he become poor in the months since? Is he so poor now, our #3 centre half, that he's only fit for Manchester United?

Short memories. Going up to and into the Real Madrid match, he was the #1 centre half. He was lauded across this board and across the premier league. Has he become poor in the months since? Is he so poor now, our #3 centre half, that he's only fit for Manchester United?

"Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop to look around once in a while you could miss it..."

So you're saying we need a time machine to bring him BACK TO THE FUTURE? I don't get why there is such a merry-go-round in this thread: he wants more than the club is prepared/able to pay. To start getting cross that we're maintaining the practices that have seen us get to where we are now is a bit silly; we need to consolidate before we can realistically make the "next step" that so many on here are braying for. We've been improving every season, even if that's not reflected in every metric, and I think the majority of the posters here are willing to admit this.

That's fine Gareth but that's something else. The club is absolutely on the right course. Alderweireld wants out or wants out if the club doesn't pay him what he feels he's worth. Fine, gone. We take the money and keep the amazing project going with other players.

My point is simply that the guy has had a big drop in form following injury but his class is permanent and he will be extremely valuable next season, for some team or other.

My point is simply that the guy has had a big drop in form following injury but his class is permanent and he will be extremely valuable next season, for some team or other.

And my point is that his drop in form has been since his knee injury in 2016-17. We thought he would be 100% back to his old self this year, and yet even before the hamstring went he was maybe 80-85% and Sanchez was almost immediately preferred to him in the center of the 3 man defence after just 3 poor defensive matches (we played 4 at the back with Verts/Toby against Newcastle, Chelsea, Burnley and took 4 points). When he returned from his hamstring injury, he was even poorer and Pochettino basically said he wasn't playing because he wasn't better than the players who were in front of him (i.e - Sanchez). When he did play late in the year, he was very poor - backing up Poch's comments.

I think he'll never be the player he was in 2015-17 ever again. He's aging a bit and has lost his pace, he's had 2 bad leg injuries and he has not proven he can recover from them fully. On top of that, our club record signing plays in the same position, and just received a brand new 6 year contract.

So you've now got a 29 year old second choice center half coming off 2 injuries. People are panicking over this way more than they should - at this point he is more of a name than an actual player to be this worked up about.

Back
Top Bottom