The failures of something great.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hello Spurs fans,

This is going to be long winded as I am going to give you examples of why I believe we have been failed as fans from Mauricio Pochettino and Levy.

I want to start of and say MoPo has done a great job with Tottenham he has improved us to a degree we are no longer being called 'spursy' we have a backbone and teams are frightened to come and play against us. For every good thing MoPo has done I believe he has let us down in other areas for example; the way he lets Levy deal with the players and transfers. The way he treats the players he has at his disposal. His stubbornness to see what works and doesn't. His choice of formations is another huge downfall.

To start of I believe MoPo has a very huge impact on the dealings of contracts and the players being brought in and if he doesn't I believe as a Spurs fan I would have more respect for the manager to walk away from the club for not getting what he wants than for doing what he is doing now. Letting Levy ruin the club by making business a main priority than giving the players who give him his juicy bonus the money they deserve. Alderweireld deserves more respect from him, he is the best CB in the Premier League and we had one of the best defensive records with him paired right next to his fellow compatriot Vertonghen. To replace him with a downgrade is exactly what he done last season with Walker. In my opinion a huge reason he left because he was dropped for one of the biggest games of the season.
He should be arguing the fact that players such as Kane, Alderweireld should have an improved contract for what they are worth. They are some of the best players in the world and should be treated equally otherwise they will just leave and we will go back to the years of when AVB was manager and we have to have Micheal Dawson in defence and Soldado upfront and I don't believe none of us want that.
My next argument I'd like to bring up is our transfers history since he has taken over.

2014/2015 2015/2016
Ben Davies (Bench player) Toby Alderweireld (Improvement)
Michel Vorm (Bench player) Clinton N'Jie (Flop)
Eric Dier (Improvement) Heung-Min Son (Improvement)
DeAndre Yedlin (Flop) Victor Wanyama (Bench player)
Federico Fazio (Flop)
Benjamin Stambouli (Flop)
Dele Alli (Improvement)
Kevin Wimmer (Flop)
Kieran Trippier (Bench player)

2016/2017 2017/2018
Vincent Janssen (Flop) Davison Sanchez (Bench player) Serge Aurier (Flop)
Georges-Kevin Nkoudou (Flop) Paulo Gazzaniga (Flop) Lucas Moura (Improvement)
Moussa Sissoko (Flop) Juan Foyth (Flop)
Fernando Llorente (Flop)

Now when we look at our transfer dealings I believe the players we have brought in have nowhere been near good enough for a team that has finished close to winning the premier league twice. The very first time we come close and miss out to Leicester City our following season instead of improving our squad challenging players such as Kane and Ali/Eriksen we brought Sissoko Nkoudou and Janssen. We had the chance to sign Batshuayi and Mané but we chose to not give them the 100k a week contracts that they desired but we ended giving it to Sissoko. To me that raises more questions than answers from the board as I want to know what their ambition to improve the club is. Especially as Paul Mitchell left for the exact same reason I am getting at that we are not willing to pay out for players who are actually going to improve our squad instead we buy risk players that may hit the ground running and be another Ali but for every diamond we get players such as Nkoudou. That season also screwed us royally because we lost to Chelsea in the Semi-Finals down to the fact our bench was absolute garbage they bring on Hazard/Costa/Fabergas and we brought on Walker/Jansen and Nkouduo if we actually showed some ambition and got one of the two players we could of got that season we could of actually maybe won the league of the FA cup. In the 2017/18 we brought our players once again too late into the market to actually buy anyone decent. Half of you will say Sanchez has been good but he is no improvement over Alderweireld he should of been on the bench when we brought him and not a starting player. We strengthened one of our rivals who I may say won the league this year and weakened ourselves. That shows the players we have already that we have no desire to push on and win anything. They will look to move on if nothing is done and go win trophies with other clubs when they should be doing that with us. You may say that we have the stadium being built but this season we have spent £100+ million this year on nothing that has helped us.

I believe MoPo treats some of his players in the totally wrong manner. The way he has treated Alderweireld is terrible. He is a huge reason for our rise to the top 4 and the reason why we was so strong in the Champions League however he chucked him to the side like a used up condom when he got injured and has let Sanchez take his spot when he has cost us in alot of big games this season due to his inexperience. We could of gone alot more further in the Champions League if we had Alderweireld on instead of Sanchez. Now he wants to leave and when he does we will be struggling to get the top 4 because if we are looking to sign players like Alfie Mawson to replace him is a complete joke. This happened the year before when MoPo decided he wanted to freeze Walker out the squad because Trippier was the better option against Chelsea. In my opinion that's totally nuts. MoPo stubbornness has now cost us 2 of our best players. .

The last paragraph, his stubbornness to see whats going wrong and whats going right such as formations the rotations have royally screwed us this season. As much as Kane is the talisman for us he was rushed back way too quickly when we was playing some decent football without Kane. We done it at the beginning of the season when we played Chelsea at home we had a good thing going but we bring back Wanyama over Dier when Dier was playing good and KWP was doing really well in RB position. Our formation when we play 3-5-2 just does not suit the squad. Especially when we play Wanyama or Dier because they are like having a 4th CB then we are missing another midfielder which isolates Kane and Ali which happened against West Brom. We don't have pacy wingbacks anymore because Davies/Trippier is not pacey at all. We have thrown the best LB in the league to the side for a bang average lb who's had one good season out of 3. We always have played better in the 4-2-3-1 I believe it could work even better playing Eriksen next to Dier and making Dier have all the defence attributes and letting Eriksen have the Modric role with Ali/Son/Moura infront of him.

I could write more but I don't wanna bore you all. Be interested to hear what you got to say.

Well written and put together ....but quite frankly fucking sick of the negativity being shown by a number on here. I don't advocate blind optimism but have a fucking sense of perspective ffs:dembelewtf:

Well written and put together ....but quite frankly fucking sick of the negativity being shown by a number on here. I don't advocate blind optimism but have a fucking sense of perspective ffs:dembelewtf:
I like to be positive towards Tottenham as they are my team and have supported them from when I could remember however this is our first time in my life time we are close to something special and I don't want to see that being ruined. I try and be so optimistic however when I see us line up like the way we did and produce the performance we did against West Brom it kind of kicks it out of you. Sorry though Ginola ^_^

Hello Spurs fans,

This is going to be long winded as I am going to give you examples of why I believe we have been failed as fans from Mauricio Pochettino and Levy.

I want to start of and say MoPo has done a great job with Tottenham he has improved us to a degree we are no longer being called 'spursy' we have a backbone and teams are frightened to come and play against us. For every good thing MoPo has done I believe he has let us down in other areas for example; the way he lets Levy deal with the players and transfers. The way he treats the players he has at his disposal. His stubbornness to see what works and doesn't. His choice of formations is another huge downfall.

To start of I believe MoPo has a very huge impact on the dealings of contracts and the players being brought in and if he doesn't I believe as a Spurs fan I would have more respect for the manager to walk away from the club for not getting what he wants than for doing what he is doing now. Letting Levy ruin the club by making business a main priority than giving the players who give him his juicy bonus the money they deserve. Alderweireld deserves more respect from him, he is the best CB in the Premier League and we had one of the best defensive records with him paired right next to his fellow compatriot Vertonghen. To replace him with a downgrade is exactly what he done last season with Walker. In my opinion a huge reason he left because he was dropped for one of the biggest games of the season.
He should be arguing the fact that players such as Kane, Alderweireld should have an improved contract for what they are worth. They are some of the best players in the world and should be treated equally otherwise they will just leave and we will go back to the years of when AVB was manager and we have to have Micheal Dawson in defence and Soldado upfront and I don't believe none of us want that.
My next argument I'd like to bring up is our transfers history since he has taken over.

2014/2015 2015/2016
Federico Fazio (Flop)
Dele Alli (Improvement)
Kevin Wimmer (Flop)

2016/2017 2017/2018
Fernando Llorente (Flop)

Now when we look at our transfer dealings I believe the players we have brought in have nowhere been near good enough for a team that has finished close to winning the premier league twice. The very first time we come close and miss out to Leicester City our following season instead of improving our squad challenging players such as Kane and Ali/Eriksen we brought Sissoko Nkoudou and Janssen. We had the chance to sign Batshuayi and Mané but we chose to not give them the 100k a week contracts that they desired but we ended giving it to Sissoko. To me that raises more questions than answers from the board as I want to know what their ambition to improve the club is. Especially as Paul Mitchell left for the exact same reason I am getting at that we are not willing to pay out for players who are actually going to improve our squad instead we buy risk players that may hit the ground running and be another Ali but for every diamond we get players such as Nkoudou. That season also screwed us royally because we lost to Chelsea in the Semi-Finals down to the fact our bench was absolute garbage they bring on Hazard/Costa/Fabergas and we brought on Walker/Jansen and Nkouduo if we actually showed some ambition and got one of the two players we could of got that season we could of actually maybe won the league of the FA cup. In the 2017/18 we brought our players once again too late into the market to actually buy anyone decent. Half of you will say Sanchez has been good but he is no improvement over Alderweireld he should of been on the bench when we brought him and not a starting player. We strengthened one of our rivals who I may say won the league this year and weakened ourselves. That shows the players we have already that we have no desire to push on and win anything. They will look to move on if nothing is done and go win trophies with other clubs when they should be doing that with us. You may say that we have the stadium being built but this season we have spent £100+ million this year on nothing that has helped us.

I believe MoPo treats some of his players in the totally wrong manner. The way he has treated Alderweireld is terrible. He is a huge reason for our rise to the top 4 and the reason why we was so strong in the Champions League however he chucked him to the side like a used up condom when he got injured and has let Sanchez take his spot when he has cost us in alot of big games this season due to his inexperience. We could of gone alot more further in the Champions League if we had Alderweireld on instead of Sanchez. Now he wants to leave and when he does we will be struggling to get the top 4 because if we are looking to sign players like Alfie Mawson to replace him is a complete joke. This happened the year before when MoPo decided he wanted to freeze Walker out the squad because Trippier was the better option against Chelsea. In my opinion that's totally nuts. MoPo stubbornness has now cost us 2 of our best players. .

The last paragraph, his stubbornness to see whats going wrong and whats going right such as formations the rotations have royally screwed us this season. As much as Kane is the talisman for us he was rushed back way too quickly when we was playing some decent football without Kane. We done it at the beginning of the season when we played Chelsea at home we had a good thing going but we bring back Wanyama over Dier when Dier was playing good and KWP was doing really well in RB position. Our formation when we play 3-5-2 just does not suit the squad. Especially when we play Wanyama or Dier because they are like having a 4th CB then we are missing another midfielder which isolates Kane and Ali which happened against West Brom. We don't have pacy wingbacks anymore because Davies/Trippier is not pacey at all. We have thrown the best LB in the league to the side for a bang average lb who's had one good season out of 3. We always have played better in the 4-2-3-1 I believe it could work even better playing Eriksen next to Dier and making Dier have all the defence attributes and letting Eriksen have the Modric role with Ali/Son/Moura infront of him.

I could write more but I don't wanna bore you all. Be interested to hear what you got to say.
Eh??
Not sure how you can deem Foyth a flop since he's hardly played for us yet he also just turned 20.
:deledoubt:

(other than that I mostly agree with ya though)

I don't believe he has challenged for any of the spots in our team. Age means shit. Ali was like 18/19 when he broke in. Liverpool Alexander-Trent is a teenager. We want players to be challenging for spots not someone to train with the first squad. There are better youth CB than Foyth so it seems like we just burned money.

Welcome to the forum Jazz.
Excellent opening post. I think you're a little harsh on Poch, but as you say maybe his pandering to his paymaster is costing us in the big games. With regards to our transfers and wage structure, can't really argue with anything you said.

Welcome to the forum Jazz.
Excellent opening post. I think you're a little harsh on Poch, but as you say maybe his pandering to his paymaster is costing us in the big games. With regards to our transfers and wage structure, can't really argue with anything you said.

Thank you, I'm only harsh because I expect big things from him. Just like any fan I want to see us become one of the best teams and Poch can be the man to take us there but needs to learn that he needs to learn how to win and then go for things higher. That's why Klopp is having a better season than him. Klopp learned to win in a shit league and so has the know how something he needs to learn. So pushing for the FA and Carling cup would be a stepping stone in the right direction.

Hello Spurs fans,

2014/2015 2015/2016
Federico Fazio (Flop)
Dele Alli (Improvement)
Kevin Wimmer (Flop)

2016/2017 2017/2018
Fernando Llorente (Flop)

Stopped reading at MoPo.

Most of the "flops" are there because they haven't been given EFFECTIVE playing time.

How can we expect someone like N'Koudou, N'Jie, Llorente etc. to come in and do a job when they're given the minutes to keep fresh and do that job? I mean in his first season he gave many players he "didn't want" playing time i

These aren't bad footballers. For fuck sake, Llorente has won EVERYTHING possible. But when he's starting 2 games all season in the Premier League and Champions League (Madrid away and Swansea away, where he scored), how can we expect him to come on late in games and make an impact? Kane was out and he STILL couldn't get games. He hasn't even made the bench at times.

Again, not sure I agree with some of the flops on that list (Foyth) or bench players in fact (Sanchez, Wanyama, Davies) but that's going to be down to opinion.

Don't necessarily agree with the Alderweireld comment either. I think it could have been handled better but I can understand the reasonings behind it. We played just as well without Alderweireld, beat big teams and kept cleansheets without him. Sanchez and Vertonghen were doing just fine. Toby then came back in the team and put in an awful performance in the FA Cup and Pochettino went back to the usual back four which had performed well previously. I don't agree or disgaree that we'd have gone further with Alderwiereld in our team in the CL - he could quite easily have performed as bad as he did against Rochdale, but he may have been the calm head that saw us through at the back but we had Vertonghen, who is just as calm and experienced.

I think the Davies comment is harsh. He's created more chances than any defender this season. Sure, he lacks pace but Son in front of him provides it. We aren't playing the same way as last season and he barely puts a foot wrong. Rose from 2 years ago is gone, he simply doesn't give a shit and he's lost a step. He's had chances this season Rose and hasn't been better than a 6/10 once.

I do think his stubbornness is an issue though, that I can agree on.

That's why Klopp is having a better season than him.

Klopp couldn't beat Pochettino over 180 minutes of football and is still likely to finish below Tottenham for a 3rd consecutive season as Liverpool manager.

How in fact is he having a better season than him? Are you forgetting that he also lost to West Brom this season? At home? To knock his team out of a cup we got to the Semi Final of?

I like to be positive towards Tottenham as they are my team and have supported them from when I could remember

Care to be more specific? Just how far back can you remember? ‘Tottenham are my team’? Like fuck they are. You might fool some of the dweebs on here, but some of us know when to come in out of the rain.

Most of the "flops" are there because they haven't been given EFFECTIVE playing time.

How can we expect someone like N'Koudou, N'Jie, Llorente etc. to come in and do a job when they're given the minutes to keep fresh and do that job? I mean in his first season he gave many players he "didn't want" playing time i

These aren't bad footballers. For fuck sake, Llorente has won EVERYTHING possible. But when he's starting 2 games all season in the Premier League and Champions League (Madrid away and Swansea away, where he scored), how can we expect him to come on late in games and make an impact? Kane was out and he STILL couldn't get games. He hasn't even made the bench at times.

Again, not sure I agree with some of the flops on that list (Foyth) or bench players in fact (Sanchez, Wanyama, Davies) but that's going to be down to opinion.

Don't necessarily agree with the Alderweireld comment either. I think it could have been handled better but I can understand the reasonings behind it. We played just as well without Alderweireld, beat big teams and kept cleansheets without him. Sanchez and Vertonghen were doing just fine. Toby then came back in the team and put in an awful performance in the FA Cup and Pochettino went back to the usual back four which had performed well previously. I don't agree or disgaree that we'd have gone further with Alderwiereld in our team in the CL - he could quite easily have performed as bad as he did against Rochdale, but he may have been the calm head that saw us through at the back but we had Vertonghen, who is just as calm and experienced.

I think the Davies comment is harsh. He's created more chances than any defender this season. Sure, he lacks pace but Son in front of him provides it. We aren't playing the same way as last season and he barely puts a foot wrong. Rose from 2 years ago is gone, he simply doesn't give a shit and he's lost a step. He's had chances this season Rose and hasn't been better than a 6/10 once.

I do think his stubbornness is an issue though, that I can agree on.

Some of the players that you have mentioned got game times through cup games and still didn't put on a good enough performance. Another issue is we don't see how they perform when they are training. He will not play no-one who doesn't train well. So in my eyes if they can't impress in training then they aren't going to be good on the pitch.
Davies has had a good season this year without no doubt. I just prefer rose and feel like game time would of helped bring him out. This season we have alot missed pace on the wingbacks spots but there's not much we can do about that

Back
Top Bottom