So, why can't we cross the line?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We can't or don't cross the line because you HAVE to look what and who is ahead of us.

Only the absolute best....

Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho, Conte and now Spendiola have stopped us.

We are not being bettered by nobodies.

Last edited:
We can't or don't cross the lune because you HAVE to look what and who is ahead of us.

Only the absolute best....

Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho, Conte and now Spendiola have stopped us.

We are not being bettered by nobodies.
This is true. Pochettino and Levy have put together a top 4/5 team. We can roll over most other teams in the league outside of the odd off day. It's the teams like Chelsea, Woolwich, United, Pool and City that make up our major threats now and we need to figure out how to deal with that.

This is true. Pochettino and Levy have put together a top 4/5 team. We can roll over most other teams in the league outside of the odd off day. It's the teams like Chelsea, Woolwich, United, Pool and City that make up our major threats now and we need to figure out how to deal with that.

And that should be the only discussion.

We pay transfer fees that fit a top six club, but not a top two club. Same as our wages.

Our players are some of the best in their position, but not the very best. Top six squad, not top two. Same as our manager.

We should regularly get to cup quarters and semis, have decent runs in Europe and consider CL qualification as about par, maybe slightly above.

And this is exactly where we find ourselves. Where we should be. We’ve just lost to a team who SHOULD be in finals, who SHOULD beat us, yet it’s like we were stuffed by York City, such is the reaction on here.

We are closer than ever before to being in the very top echelon, but it’s strange to EXPECT to win a semi final against a better team.

It's a combination of things and not just the wages budget.

I think we lack the 'win at all costs' mentality all teams that win regularly have. It doesn't even need to be the whole team, just enough of it- look at how Ronaldo won Portugal the Euros.

I think we also lack a strong but skilled central midfield or defensive 'general' to install the above and haul the team along. Someone like Roy Keane, Chiellini, Vieira (sorry), Gatusso etc.

I think having Lloris, a respected and skilled but hardly commanding figure, as captain is not a strong point of ours. Maybe it can be Kane or Dier once they're experienced enough.

The weakening of our full backs since last year has been a big problem in the hardest games too.

The edge against big teams is what is missing, especially in knockout games. To me our squad looks hungry and motivated and more often than not we beat who we should. It's just that edge against the likes of City and Juve in the key moments of matches. Part of that is experience.
Did not see us at Brighton then ? It’s the players.

It’s the same reason as before with the likes of Jol and Redknapp, Poch is not a top level manager. Not doubt he is a good coach but are almost certainly his peak- it will be downwards when he leaves

Since the end of the match I have gone for a drink and had my dinner.

No music or television. Just a quick glance on the internet to see Amir Khan knocked out El Greco in 40 secs. Not bad eh.

Back to the question.

The much maligned Sammyspurs just agreed or liked a post of mine. I am unsure which bit he agreed with but the single most important reason why we do not cross the line is that as talented as our players are, they are not 'ready at the times of the biggest tests"

There is no other explanation for a team that can beat nearly everyone and yet none when it matters in the final analysis.

At least not quite yet.

Pace and creativity.

We had absolutely none of it today.

Eriksen was literally the only player making things happen, and he didn't create a great deal.

It was actually tedious to watch us at some points in the game. Everything so slow going forward.

UnlinedFlawedArabianwildcat-size_restricted.gif

Too tired to blame the players, Poch, Levy, whatever. In the greater scheme of things, can’t ignore that we have done well to challenge, but it’s that recurring disappointment at each point of potential glory.

Its all down to tactics- good managers can turn a team into "winners".
I hate to say it, but Poch has a very poor record of performance in key games like this. I lay the blame on him- the players are plenty good enough to win these matches talent-wise.

Only this.

Pochettino is a loveable loser, as I’ve said many times; more Keegan than Clough.

He inherited some fantastic players here, and although it’s not an expensive squad, it’s a ‘valuable’ one; id argue that it’s the second best in the league, so this ‘but Pochettino has us punching above our weight’ perception is mythology. Mourinho’s on course to win his 3rd trophy in two seasons with a weaker team.

An elite coach could oversee an era of success here; the foundations are set, both on and of the pitch, to succeed, but it’s going to require a pragmatist.....and that certainly isn’t Pochettino.

Yes he's young and it's a learning process and we've had more success under Poch if you call it success than in the previous half a dozen managers and yes that includes the league cup in 08! And I would not swap a minuet of it for Mourinho not a minuet......

Because United were shite post Ferguson, Pellegrini couldn’t be arsed at City after the title win in 2014 and Liverpool required a rebuild after losing Sterling, Sturridge and Suarez.

In this period of ‘success’ Chelsea won the league with an inferior team, as Leicester did obviously too; now the Manc clubs have sorted themselves out we’re gradually drifting down the table, losing key players from that aforementioned positive period and just generally looking to be losing momentum.

And you’d rather now win the league and cups with Mourinho? (Which he would likely do with this team)

Back
Top Bottom